October 09, 2023
2505 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2704 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 May 2020 18:07 #310021 by Gary Sax
Yes, I've seen it. Good doc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2020 22:21 #310033 by san il defanso
I haven't watched The Last Dance, partially because I grew up in Michigan and Michael Jordan and the Bulls were the villains in my narrative. Of course now that I'm older I feel like the Bad Boy Pistons were pretty terrible too. That's a big part of why I started rooting for the Cavs, though that is also not a great incentive for being a Bulls fan.

ESPN does great documentaries though, their 30 for 30 series is excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 May 2020 23:09 #310034 by jason10mm
So I also watched the War of the Worlds(epix) show and damn was that a depressing grim show. Don't often see kids in peril and die like that. Plus, where the aliens taken from a certain Black Mirror episode???

Highly recommend Into the Night on netflix. The sun goes gamma ray(?) and cooks everyone in daylight. So a plane has to fly ahead of sunrise.....forever. Really crazy tense show that actually seems to have a lot of science and oddly enough, extensive airplane tech, in it. Pretty short run and is a lot of fun.

Finally watched the last 2 seasons of Into the Badlands. Went from a somewhat martial arts show into full blown wushu fantasy martial arts by the end. Pretty amazing they could choreograph all these fights on a TV budget, makes the CW shows REALLY hang their head in shame. Fun role for Nick Frost and gets quite female empowerment by the end. I still dislike fights where a 100 pound girl holds up a knife that stops an overhand 2 handed blow by a 230 pound brute but it is what it is. Show got amazingly gory in the 3rd season, not sure why.

The new Clone Wars on Disney is a joy. Why they didn't hire these folks to make the new movies is beyond me. At least Ahsoka in the Mandalorian made finally legitimize the best female Star Wars character ever.

Really liked The Last KIngdom It's fast paced in the 3rd and 4th seasons. I wish 90% of saxons didn't have a name starting with "Athel....." but I guess it was a popular name in 900 CE. Destiny is ALL!

Last one, For All Mankind on Apple. Great space race show with a lot of pseudo-historical stuff in it. It loses its way and delves into whistful politicking in the middle but gets back on track for a great conclusion. No idea where season 2 goes as they will be far beyond our space history at that point. It does highlight how we are victims of our own success in a way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jay718, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

More
06 May 2020 23:20 #310035 by Shellhead
Still have two episodes of Westworld to go. I'm still enjoying, with the understanding that this is a violent show about philosophy and ethics.

More
07 May 2020 00:52 #310042 by Gary Sax
I started watching Star Trek Discovery. I'm in the middle of the first season. It doesn't start very well and the Klingon storyline is a bore when they cut to it, but I actually think it is a good compromise between serialized "serious" TV and classic Trek tropes and such. Better than I expected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
07 May 2020 08:47 #310044 by Msample

Shellhead wrote: Still have two episodes of Westworld to go. I'm still enjoying, with the understanding that this is a violent show about philosophy and ethics.

Important note - the season finale episode has a pretty important POST CREDITS scene. This pissed me off. After watching the ep, I turned it off as soon as the credits rolled. I only learned of the post credits scene when I read a recap on the AV Club which spoiled the scene.

So while this season was somewhat easier to follow plot wise, it still has some of that LOST JJ Abrams too clever / hidden McGuffin element which I increasingly become frustrated with. I shouldn't have to read an AV Club recap to decipher whatever philosophical bullshit the show peddles. Despite its faults, GAME OF THRONES was popular because it was easier to follow IMO and the plot motives were a LOT more clear cut.

This season finale seemed to be written to be a series finale if thats what it comes to. There is no word on a renewal for a fourth season . Given how expensive it is to produce and AT&Ts recent buyout of HBO, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the shows final season. Even if its not, the long delay between each season makes it lose interest for some viewers I bet. Sure its gorgeously shot and has some great performances, but the writing is uneven at best and shows evidence of too many cooks in the kitchen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
07 May 2020 09:14 #310045 by ChristopherMD

Msample wrote: This season finale seemed to be written to be a series finale if thats what it comes to. There is no word on a renewal for a fourth season .

It was renewed for a fourth season a couple weeks ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

More
07 May 2020 09:40 #310046 by Msample

ChristopherMD wrote:

Msample wrote: This season finale seemed to be written to be a series finale if thats what it comes to. There is no word on a renewal for a fourth season .

It was renewed for a fourth season a couple weeks ago.

My bad . I had Google searched for such news, or so I had thought.

More
07 May 2020 09:48 #310047 by Joebot

jason10mm wrote:
Really liked The Last KIngdom It's fast paced in the 3rd and 4th seasons. I wish 90% of saxons didn't have a name starting with "Athel....." but I guess it was a popular name in 900 CE. Destiny is ALL!

Yes!! The name thing is even worse in the books, where you can't rely on the actor's face to remind you who they are. Off the top of my head, there are characters named Aethelred, Aethelfled, Aethelhelm, Aethelwold, Aldhelm, Aelfric, Alfred, Aelswith, and Aelfwynn. Presumably Bernard Cornwell's hands were tied, as these are all real historical figures, so it's not like a Sauron / Saruman situation where he deliberately CHOSE those names. Even so, it can be tough to wade through. I'm very grateful that Alfred named his son Edward. Edward! That's an easy one to remember!

To make things even more complicated, in the later books, Uhtred's oldest son becomes a POV character and has his own adventures, and of course his name is ... Uhtred.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, jason10mm

More
07 May 2020 13:57 #310060 by Sagrilarus

Joebot wrote: Off the top of my head, there are characters named Aethelred, Aethelfled, Aethelhelm, Aethelwold, Aldhelm, Aelfric, Alfred, Aelswith, and Aelfwynn.

So fictionalizing the shit out of a period in history with virtually zero written record is ok, but changing a name is not. My goodness, the author was concerned someone would complain?

More
07 May 2020 16:01 - 07 May 2020 16:01 #310065 by RobertB
Still working through The Wire. Great show. The problem with it is all mine, in that if you consume too much internet, you kind of know how that show's story goes. It's too late to expect spoiler love. But it's still great.

My wife is now watching Game of Thrones, but going through seasons 6, 7, and 8. The more I think of it, the more I think that season 8 sucks even more than I thought it did back when it came out. The producers didn't just miss the landing, they belly-flopped into a dumpster fire that they set themselves.
Last edit: 07 May 2020 16:01 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, Gregarius

More
10 May 2020 01:21 #310141 by Gary Sax
I started watching adventure time again. It still makes me laugh out loud and it is simultaneously *brutally* melancholy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, hotseatgames

More
10 May 2020 22:21 #310164 by san il defanso

Gary Sax wrote: I started watching adventure time again. It still makes me laugh out loud and it is simultaneously *brutally* melancholy.

My kids have been devouring Adventure Time. It's really fun to watch them enjoy it so much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 May 2020 23:47 #310167 by Gary Sax
Just watched the episode Simon and Marcy, which is just a wrenching reflection on Alzheimer's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siberianhusky

More
12 May 2020 09:23 #310209 by hotseatgames
Watched all of Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 on Netflix. This lengthily titled anime is computer rendered, which would normally be a huge turn-off for me, but I tend to like Ghost in the Shell and this is no different. I really enjoyed it and look forward to more.

I have also started season 2 of Dead to Me, which I consider to be the second-best show Netflix has ever produced, after Bloodline.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.004 seconds