October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
15 Sep 2020 08:20 - 15 Sep 2020 08:26 #314090 by san il defanso
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll see if I can chase them down. There's a LOT of anime on Netflix out here, so I do have quite a backlog. Most of it is shonen stuff (I think that's the term) but I do want to branch out some.

I need to check out the Evangelion movies, I had meant to after finishing the series but I didn't get to it.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2020 08:26 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2020 13:50 - 15 Sep 2020 13:50 #314098 by Rliyen
Been on a thriller/crime binge as of late. Started with Signs, a Polish murder drama. Blew through the 1st season and the 2nd season is coming up tomorrow, I believe.

Once I finished that, I binge watched The Valhalla Murders. Broadchurch levels of fucked up. Yes, that's the metric I go by now when talking with my wife about them. I really liked it, but some of the subplots had no payoff.

Now, I'm watching the Finnish police drama Bordertown. Approaching Broadchurch, but not there yet.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2020 13:50 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, hotseatgames

More
15 Sep 2020 18:00 #314109 by Msample
Mandalorian S2 trailer: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
15 Sep 2020 20:31 #314114 by Jackwraith

hotseatgames wrote: I think I'm at the point that I don't care if I don't see any more Lovecraft Country. It's just not impressing me.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say that this is almost where I am, as well. Episode 4 just lost me completely. It was a hopscotch of plot elements and had none of the eeriness or dread that I normally associate with HPL. It was an Indiana Jones adventure. I'm just not interested in that. Haven't seen episode 5 yet (we're in the middle of moving) and will probably catch up on it by the weekend, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

More
15 Sep 2020 22:12 #314119 by Michael Barnes
I bailed on it. It’s just completely off the rails. Tonally it is just a screaming mess.
Wildly uneven at best, outright bad at worst. It’s sad it didn’t turn out well, but there it is.

Against my better judgement, I started watching The Boys. What a surprise, it’s actually really darn good. I don’t like Garth Ennis and the vulgarity/extreme violence is tiresome, but the characters and storyline as well as the satirical elements are great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames

More
15 Sep 2020 23:10 #314125 by Shellhead
My girlfriend doesn't normally like superhero stuff, but she is watching The Boys. The shock plot twists remind her of Game of Thrones in a good way, and the cynical humor feels like it is aimed at her corporate bosses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Sep 2020 23:24 #314126 by Jackwraith
Garth Ennis' first run on Hellblazer was one of the best arcs that book ever had. But, yes, the ramp up into "blood as humor" was pretty sudden and I'm one of those iconoclasts who thinks Preacher was pretty overrated for that reason and a few others. So, I never read The Boys and I watched the first episode of season 1 and was pretty "meh" on it. It seemed like it was trying way too hard to be a glitzier Watchmen. But I watched a few more some months later and found some things to enjoy. I still don't think Karl Urban is right for that role, however. Haven't started watching season 2 yet, though. Lately, we've been burning through Boardwalk Empire, which is brilliant.

More
16 Sep 2020 12:33 #314161 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: My girlfriend doesn't normally like superhero stuff, but she is watching The Boys. The shock plot twists remind her of Game of Thrones in a good way, and the cynical humor feels like it is aimed at her corporate bosses.

On behalf of the rest of the world, I'll respond "ugh". I grinded through the end of season 1 hoping for some respite from the descent into pointlessness, and found none. It will take a Clockwork Orange scenario to get me to watch season 2.

I'm trying to remember my reaction to the first few episodes, because clearly I liked them enough to continue watching.

More
16 Sep 2020 12:42 - 16 Sep 2020 12:43 #314163 by Sagrilarus

Rliyen wrote: Been on a thriller/crime binge as of late. Started with Signs, a Polish murder drama. Blew through the 1st season and the 2nd season is coming up tomorrow, I believe.

Once I finished that, I binge watched The Valhalla Murders. Broadchurch levels of fucked up. Yes, that's the metric I go by now when talking with my wife about them. I really liked it, but some of the subplots had no payoff.

Now, I'm watching the Finnish police drama Bordertown. Approaching Broadchurch, but not there yet.

This is where my wife and I have been for weeks now, watching police procedurals out of the UK and really enjoying them. I've already mentioned Scott & Bailey and recommend it highly. Most recently we've watched all three available seasons of Unforgotten which are excellent (season 2 is simply magnificent) and have been working into Vera which has been good as well. Each episode is film-length so there's time to develop serious plot.

The British shows make American police procedurals look like reruns of Charlie's Angels, and I think some of them are rewrites of the same plots. Really elementary stuff that doesn't hold together. The British stuff has attention to details and complexity that the American market clearly isn't interested in. They also benefit from not having a machine gun solve everything. Makes me realize just how vapid the Law & Order franchise has been for the last 30 years.

As best I can tell we haven't really even waded in up to our knees yet. There seems to be a lot more material to choose from that we haven't even heard of yet. Britbox has a lot of these, Netflix and Amazon have their share.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2020 12:43 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mezike, Nodens

More
16 Sep 2020 14:23 #314168 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote:

Shellhead wrote: My girlfriend doesn't normally like superhero stuff, but she is watching The Boys. The shock plot twists remind her of Game of Thrones in a good way, and the cynical humor feels like it is aimed at her corporate bosses.

On behalf of the rest of the world, I'll respond "ugh". I grinded through the end of season 1 hoping for some respite from the descent into pointlessness, and found none. It will take a Clockwork Orange scenario to get me to watch season 2.

I'm trying to remember my reaction to the first few episodes, because clearly I liked them enough to continue watching.

I think that The Boys has a certain compelling quality because it successfully captures the zeitgeist of America in 2020. Not the social distancing of the pandemic, but all the escalating craziness of the rest of the news. The cynical capitulation of one of our major political parties to a hostile takeover by a crime family. The protests, riots, and attacks by counter-protesters. The separate reality of Wall Street. The abject adulation of completely corrupt public figures. The new irrelevance of sports. The casual takedown of so many societal norms. The political polarization of a medical crisis. The Boys is not about what we are actually experiencing in America today, but it has a similar surreal and ugly quality to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Gregarius

More
16 Sep 2020 14:30 - 16 Sep 2020 14:31 #314169 by mezike
@Sag

Oh we have our fair share of derivative rubbish, you’re just getting the “best of” collection with the imports.

Seeing as you mentioned BritBox I’ll pitch again that you should use it to check out Inside no.9 - it’s not a crime drama but is incredibly well made and inventive tv.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2020 14:31 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
16 Sep 2020 17:05 #314175 by Sagrilarus

mezike wrote: @Sag
Seeing as you mentioned BritBox I’ll pitch again that you should use it to check out Inside no.9 - it’s not a crime drama but is incredibly well made and inventive tv.

Yep, it's on the list! Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
16 Sep 2020 21:50 #314184 by dysjunct
I am watching THE BOYS s2 and enjoying it. The loss of Elizabeth Shue is deeply felt, but Stormfront is such a great character (although her hero name is a little on the nose). The frenemy dynamic between her and Homelander keeps me watching. The rest of the cast is fine, I guess. Karl Urban is a treat. I am actually enjoying The Deep's descent into not-Scientology.

More
16 Sep 2020 23:08 #314185 by Shellhead

dysjunct wrote: I am watching THE BOYS s2 and enjoying it. The loss of Elizabeth Shue is deeply felt, but Stormfront is such a great character (although her hero name is a little on the nose). The frenemy dynamic between her and Homelander keeps me watching. The rest of the cast is fine, I guess. Karl Urban is a treat. I am actually enjoying The Deep's descent into not-Scientology.

Every time I see Butcher (Urban) on screen, I instinctively see him as simple, one-note character, a man obsessed with vengeance. And then he routinely disrupts that impression with surprising revelations of humanity. I enjoyed Urban when he played Judge Dredd and Bones McCoy, but he really has the script here to express a more nuanced character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct

More
17 Sep 2020 11:23 #314191 by Gregarius
I can't decide if I should feel bad or good that I had no idea of the Nazi connotations of the word "Stormfront."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.994 seconds