October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
17 Sep 2020 12:25 #314200 by Shellhead
My eyebrows went up as soon as I heard that she was called Stormfront, but I thought it was possible that it was just a reference to the meteorological term. Especially since she came across as such a bold feminist and gave off such a specific Portland hipster vibe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2020 13:11 #314203 by hotseatgames
Raised by Wolves is great, and deserves the Sunday time slot on HBO.

More
17 Sep 2020 13:33 #314206 by dysjunct

Gregarius wrote: I can't decide if I should feel bad or good that I had no idea of the Nazi connotations of the word "Stormfront."

Personally I wish I didn't know as much about modern day Nazis, QAnon, Scientology, and a whole host of other shitty belief systems. So I mourn your loss of innocence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiveGod, hotseatgames, mc

More
17 Sep 2020 14:35 #314207 by the_jake_1973

Shellhead wrote: My eyebrows went up as soon as I heard that she was called Stormfront, but I thought it was possible that it was just a reference to the meteorological term. Especially since she came across as such a bold feminist and gave off such a specific Portland hipster vibe.

That was my thought as well. My initial reaction was, 'she doesn't really seem the Nazi type.' She seemed a very much Portlandia caricature. And then the chase happened.

More
17 Sep 2020 15:12 #314210 by Gregarius
I'm about halfway through the first season of Cobra Kai. I'm definitely enjoying it, but it really bothers me that nearly every character (especially the children) is a horrible person. Daniel and Johnny are flawed, which is fine; their students (Daniel's daughter and Johnny's neighbor) are actually good. Everyone else is despicable or pathetic or both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Nodens

More
18 Sep 2020 07:14 #314221 by Nodens

Shellhead wrote: Every time I see Butcher (Urban) on screen, I instinctively see him as simple, one-note character, a man obsessed with vengeance. And then he routinely disrupts that impression with surprising revelations of humanity.

FWIW, Wee Hughie says exactly this in the comic book.

More
18 Sep 2020 13:25 #314241 by jason10mm
Stormfront seems to be an electricity based hero so her name works on multiple levels I think (thus she can gaslight you easily).

Finished season 2 of Cobra Kai and WOW was that last ep AMAZING! How many days did they work on that extended fight?? While there are lots of soap elements (how often does a character 'just happen' upon another at just the right/wrong moment?) the writers are MASTERS of dangling shoes in front of the viewer and dropping them on characters the instant they start to relax and smile. Yet it feels organic and most characters act according to their nature.

Soooo looking forward to season 3. I can only hope/pray for an extended role for Thomas Ian Griffith! I never realized just how much there is to mine from the KK movies. Was the Hillary Swank one "in universe"? I note there is a Will Smith listed as a producer, I wonder if it is THE will smith and if his kid will show up at some point as well.

More
20 Sep 2020 15:09 #314258 by Jexik
Watched the first season of Cobra Kai on Friday and Saturday. Pretty great.

More
21 Sep 2020 14:55 #314294 by jason10mm

Jexik wrote: Watched the first season of Cobra Kai on Friday and Saturday. Pretty great.

Buckle up :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
22 Sep 2020 09:27 #314312 by hotseatgames
Second episode of The Third Day aired on HBO last night. It's good, and I'll keep going, but:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
22 Sep 2020 21:15 #314414 by Shellhead
Just watched the sixth episode of Lovecraft Country.

Wait. Don't scroll past yet.

I realize that some of you have lost interest in Lovecraft Country, and I personally dislike certain aspects of the show. I'm not going to ask you to give the show another try, at least not exactly. But you might enjoy the sixth episode in spite of your previous problems with Lovecraft Country, watching it just as a standalone short movie. The viewpoint character is different, and the story is a unique blend of love and horror in a setting not often used: the Korean War. And though the episode does tie into the series so far, it doesn't rush that connection and lets the story unfold the way it should be told. For fans of the book, this episode is not based on anything in the book, and maybe that freedom from source material let the writers tell a good, new story.

Beyond that, Lovecraft Country continues to surpass horror tv shows in general. Horror is difficult on television, because there isn't usually enough budget to deliver anything but psychological horror and/or cheesy effects. And psychological horror requires better writing than we normally get on a weekly tv show.

I have previously compared Lovecraft Country to American Horror Story, but Lovecraft Country is already better than any season of AHS that I have seen so far (1-3, 5-6). AHS tries hard, but often tries to cram too many disparate elements into each season, and sometimes veers into campiness. Lovecraft Country would benefit from tighter writing and better song selections, but still has some important things to say about our society and our history.

More
23 Sep 2020 08:45 #314428 by RobertB
I'm watching the reboot of Lost In Space. It's a really pretty, family-friendly show. Robinsons have a problem, Robinsons work around problem, Dr. Smith is a PITA that should have been shot right at the start. It really needs a science advisor in spots. But if you have to watch something that doesn't offend your mother-in-law, you could do worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, jason10mm, birdman37

More
23 Sep 2020 10:15 #314433 by jason10mm
I was impressed how well that robot thing integrated into the show. I'm curious how much is an animatronic or a guy in a suit versus CGI.

They don't really do the "lost in space" thing though. It's really more of "stranded on this planet for a bit".

I'm curious where they will go in a third season with the now adult daughters. More relationships or just sort of gloss over it.

More
23 Sep 2020 11:48 #314444 by Gary Sax
My spouse has been watching Lucifer to veg out, which is incredibly repetitive but charming as long as you don't watch two in a row.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, WadeMonnig

More
23 Sep 2020 12:50 #314450 by RobertB

Gary Sax wrote: My spouse has been watching Lucifer to veg out, which is incredibly repetitive but charming as long as you don't watch two in a row.

I watched a few episodes while my wife was away a while back, and thought it was okay. "Prince of Darkness quits day job, fights crime," I get it. The missus wasn't interested for some reason, though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds