October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
19 Oct 2020 16:34 #315350 by Gregarius
I actually liked S2 of The Boys better than S1. The characters and acting seemed stronger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2020 09:12 #315362 by Sagrilarus
We're on a Nicola Walker binge.

British police procedurals seem to have the same 20 or so actors in them, all guest starring on each others' shows either as murderers or victims or witnesses. We kept stumbling across Nicola Walker, first in Scott & Bailey and now in a series of shows where she is the lead character. My wife and I were amused that we kept seeing her pop up, so we're going after her stuff on purpose now, at first as a joke now as a mission..

She very good at her job and appears to be starring in multiple series at the same time. So there's plenty to choose from. Last night we cracked open Conspiracy, and the first episode got down to business in a big hurry. A murder of a no-name pizza delivery man in what appeared to be a professional contract killing. Plot quickly thickened, plenty of detail to choose from.

I appreciate you all are watching science fiction and superhero stuff but I'll be honest -- super powers are completely spent as far as I'm concerned. If it pops up in a show I stop watching. It's become trite to me, and shows like The Boys are just dismal. Perhaps a sign of my age. As far as I'm concerned I never need to see another Marvel movie again. They are magnificently done, but they've become the equivalent of Fast & Furious 12 . . . same plot, same people, remix the footage and sell. As for science fiction . . . well, I like brooding science fiction, and there isn't much of that being released.

So in an era when there is about zero new TV being produced my wife and I are going deep into the British library. We just need to figure out who to follow next once Nicola is complete. With 8 or 10 seasons of MI-5 in the hopper it could be a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
20 Oct 2020 10:04 #315363 by ChristopherMD
I've been watching A French Village which is a drama set during the German occupation. The show is 7 seasons and covers the years 1940-1945 with each season being a different year and the final season apparently covering post-occupation stuff. I'm only on episode 7 of the first season and really enjoying it so far. Subtitled obviously but the subs are big and easy to read which I appreciate. I've been trying to stick to 1 episode per night but I can already tell I'll start binging at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Oct 2020 12:26 #315366 by jason10mm

Sagrilarus wrote: I appreciate you all are watching science fiction and superhero stuff but I'll be honest -- super powers are completely spent as far as I'm concerned. If it pops up in a show I stop watching. It's become trite to me, and shows like The Boys are just dismal. Perhaps a sign of my age.

So in an era when there is about zero new TV being produced my wife and I are going deep into the British library. We just need to figure out who to follow next once Nicola is complete. With 8 or 10 seasons of MI-5 in the hopper it could be a while.

I hear that a love for british police shows (drama or comedy), cooking competition shows, and anything on HGTV is the final phase of officially becoming an 'Old Fogie Boomer'. Welcome! Now your only remaining choices are Foxnews or CNN :P

I see the same thing with Vancouver shows. Lots of cross over of actors. Not quite a studio system but highly network centric.

More
20 Oct 2020 13:06 - 20 Oct 2020 13:08 #315369 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: Now your only remaining choices are Foxnews or CNN :P

Blessedly, I have no cable. :)

I'm stuck reading the news, which is positively gutenburgian.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2020 13:08 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
23 Oct 2020 00:19 #315455 by ThirstyMan
MI-5 (known as Spooks in the UK but considered too sensitive a slang word in the US) is very good indeed.

Harry Pierce (Head of MI5) is an absolutely iconic character suffering inter agency battles as well as external agency intrigues. I would put it pretty high up in my all time great shows.

The follow up movie is rubbish though (For the Greater Good).
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
23 Oct 2020 04:03 #315461 by mezike

ThirstyMan wrote: MI-5 (known as Spooks in the UK but considered too sensitive a slang word in the US) is very good indeed.

Oh right! I did wonder what show Sag was talking about and assumed it was one of many that had passed me by. Agree wholeheartedly that it’s an excellent show, although I felt that it took a dip a few seasons in.

Warning: Spoiler!

Would also recommend Life on Mars and the follow up Ashes to Ashes which are cop shows with an interesting twist.

More
23 Oct 2020 11:03 #315475 by ubarose
@mezike

Life on Mars is awesome. I re-watch the series every few years. I think I've watched it about 3 times.

More
23 Oct 2020 12:53 #315480 by mezike
You’ll be pleased to hear then that the BBC confirmed they will bring it back for one final season with John Simm onboard to tie up the plot lines of both that and Ashes to Ashes ☺️
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, BillyBobThwarton

More
23 Oct 2020 13:49 #315484 by hotseatgames
I'm two episodes into a South Korean show on Netflix called Stranger. No idea why it's called that, my guess is something lost in translation.

It's about a criminal prosecutor who always gets to the bottom of the mystery and fights corruption. This guy is ice cold, and if he doesn't deem a conversation as worth having, he just walks away from someone or ignores them entirely. It's kind of wild.

More
23 Oct 2020 14:20 #315485 by ubarose
Haven't been able to watch Ashes to Ashes here in the US.

More
23 Oct 2020 14:25 #315487 by Shellhead
I'm nearly halfway through the second season of Deadwood. Late in first season, it seemed like the show was including more humor, and now I'm sure of it. The writing has gotten a little muddled with respect to a subplot involving a possible conman, and it is becoming a bit difficult for me to follow E.B. Farnhum's overly flowery lines. Otherwise, it's still a great show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
24 Oct 2020 23:26 #315529 by mtagge
Finished Raised by Wolves. What the actual %&#*??? I'm out for any possible second season. I find "god forces people's behavior" as lazy and stupid a plot device as writers who have characters start behaving counter to how their character develops over an entire season to create conflict.

It was good for the first four episodes and then turned to garbage when a hard sci-fi story took a left turn and decided to abandon all that and turn hard fantasy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
27 Oct 2020 16:07 #315612 by jason10mm
To the Lake on netflix. Russian show about a pandemic that drives some Moscovites to flee some indeterminable distance to a remote frozen lake retreat. Made in 2019ish, so it predates any covid stuff.

This show is ROUGH. Very adult, very harsh depiction of a pandemic. It uses the now expected format of a group of almost impossibly broken people forced together with flashbacks showing all their other problems. The virus or whatever is almost completely peripheral to the show, yet it is so bizarre and overly complicated in its effect I feel like TTL must be a spin off of another show that dealt with the virus more directly.

Anyhoo, it has all the pandemic things we might have expected (anarchy, panicked mobs, harsh government crackdowns) before we actually experienced a version of it, so a warning to those that might get emotional. This show is 100% adult. The one little kid is basically a pawn for his parents to hate each other and is rescue bait. The teens are there mostly for some sex appeal and to be problems for their parents. The adults are mostly just horrible or forced to be horrible to keep on living. Part survivalist experience, part spiritual allegory, part heroes journey, it is oddly compelling (to me). The Russian perspective is fascinating. If the dubbing were a bit better I'd almost think the show was set in Canada or montana, it feels so familiar. But then the show will buck western conventions and show some of what I think of as slavic grit in what they prioritize and value over american ideals.

It ends rather abuptly on a massive cliffhanger though with little to no resolution of anything, so if that bothers you then hold off until there is a season 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
28 Oct 2020 15:46 - 28 Oct 2020 15:49 #315651 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Alienist, season 2.

This show is pretty awful. The mystery is not really very engaging. A lot of the writing is just really bad. And it suffers from that thing that so many historically set TV shows do, where they try and work in every reference to the time period they possibly can. It's the 1890s so Hearst is one of the main characters and everyone is a (nascent) suffragette.

It's not so much the old "accuracy" thing, that bit's fine - it just feels lazy, and it's not like the yellow press or women's rights are being fully explored - they feel like by the numbers tropes.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2020 15:49 by mc.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds