October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Nov 2020 11:35 #316460 by Gary Sax
We just went through Scrubs again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2020 11:46 #316462 by Shellhead

mc wrote: I think that episode where Giles and buffy's mother revert to their teenage selves is in that series isn't that, that one is great.

Yep, that was also season three. This show is at times more humorous than most sitcoms, and that episode was one of the funny ones.

More
24 Nov 2020 13:11 - 24 Nov 2020 13:29 #316507 by Hatchling
On the recommendation of a student I watched a few episodes of the Anime series Death Note on Netflix. Very interesting! I like the Faustian premise, but what is also very cool is that internal monologues of the main rivals walk us through chains of reasoning that will resonate with anyone who has played a game in which you play the player as much as the game. I hope the show holds up. I'm not sure if this quality is common in anime -- if it is, I'd be grateful for other recommendations if people have any.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2020 13:29 by Hatchling.

More
24 Nov 2020 13:21 #316509 by hotseatgames
The first season of Death Note is better than the second, but overall it's one of the better ones and the whole thing is worth watching.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
25 Nov 2020 10:03 #316543 by jason10mm
Finished up American Horror Story: 1984 last night. I've been hate watching this show for YEARS and this was the first season since forever that lived up to season 1. It isn't particularly scary but it is such a fun send up of classic slasher flicks (HEAVILY riffing on Friday the 13th down to core story and scenes) that I can forgive it a lot. AHS has been lumbering under its recurring cast for a while with a bevy of actors that have turned scenery chewing overacting into a fine art (Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange, and Sarah Paulson, I'm looking at ya'll) . This time round all of those staples of the show are out, only Emma Roberts and Billy Lourde as a multi-season returnees (I think) with Leslie Grossman and Cody Fern coming back for round 2 as well. Anyway, this allowed the show to cast actors who fit the part and all the ludicrous accents and scene stealing is gone (with the exception of Lily Rabe and Dylan McDermott popping back in at times). The core cast is uniformly good and having fun, which fits the campy slasher theme quite well.

The budget is 80% music and it shows, almost the whole thing takes place in the same chunk of pine forest. But damn, if its gonna be music, the 80's is the best :P Fewer episodes help a lot as well, less filler.

Like all AHS arcs it forgets itself towards the end and ends up in a "ho-hum" finale rather than living up to the inital episode premise. I really wish these guys could stick the landing JUST ONCE instead of having so many tonal shifts that the first and last episodes feel like they are from different shows entirely. They REALLY lean into the weird AHS mythology about ghosts as well though it takes a while to get there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, SebastianBludd, DarthJoJo

More
25 Nov 2020 11:02 #316553 by Shellhead
I look forward to eventually seeing American Horror Story: 1984. I like but don't love AHS because they usually throw too many ingredients in the mix every season, and I agree that the tonal shifts often derail the show. For example, season 1 Murder House was often terrifying for the first 3/4 of the season, then shifted into the roommate melodrama of a bunch of ghosts unwillingly sharing the house. Also, I am fond of '80s music and, pre-pandemic, often attended a weekly '80s dance at a local venue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
25 Nov 2020 12:43 #316558 by jason10mm
In that case 1984 is right up your alley. I don't know what they did differently but it all gels together far better than usual. I think they could easily do this style of show for Nightmare on Elm Street and it would fit the AHS mythos well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 Nov 2020 14:00 #316567 by Shellhead
When I was posting about Buffy upthread, I forgot to mention something odd about the way it airs on Amazon Prime. There is a warning from Amazon in the corner of the screen at the start of each episode that it is rated for 14+ due to "Foul language, drug use, sexuality, moderate violence." For the life of me, I can't recall even one example of foul language. Drug use is also a big stretch. There was one episode where someone got kidnapped after getting knocked out with a chloroform-soaked rag, and another episode where someone was getting injected with muscle relaxants, but that's nothing like recreational use of illegal narcotics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
25 Nov 2020 16:57 #316580 by jason10mm
I'm convinced they try to add as many "warnings" as possible to INCREASE ratings. Netflix has no real ratings system anymore and it's virtually impossible to determine what content a show really has based on the PG, PG-13, MA thing. Those warning labels are about the only thing that hint at how mature a show might be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
25 Nov 2020 18:17 - 25 Nov 2020 18:17 #316588 by RobertB
I always like the warnings that look like this:

Language
Nudity
Sexual Situations
Smoking

Darn, was going to watch it until I found out there was smoking in it.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2020 18:17 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, jason10mm, Nodens

More
25 Nov 2020 18:49 #316591 by jason10mm
I like it when they get creative

Strong sci-fi sexuality
Graphic drug use
Extreme harsh language
Preposterous fantasy violence
Unacceptable boy's club behavior :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
27 Nov 2020 21:15 - 27 Nov 2020 21:16 #316650 by ChristopherMD
And yet you never see warnings for;

Contains harsh truths about life
You will cry like a baby
Graphic bad cgi use
Last edit: 27 Nov 2020 21:16 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Sagrilarus, jason10mm, sornars, Nodens

More
28 Nov 2020 23:59 #316665 by Sagrilarus
More Shetland, with season three being excellent.

More
01 Dec 2020 21:24 #316778 by DarthJoJo
I’m a little late to The Mandalorian party, but my wife and I death marched the second season over the weekend just so every possible social medium would stop spoiling everything.

I think the story-telling in the second season is a little weaker. The stand-alone structure is the same but feels a little silly as most episodes end with “Thanks for the help, now go here.” The shaggy connections worked before when the Mandalorian’s only goal was to survive. Now the stakes have been raised with the introduction of Gideon and the mission to find Baby Yoda’s home, but the storytelling hasn’t followed suit. Instead we’re getting hints at future seasons or spin-off series. The first season felt like a good role playing campaign. This season feels more like a mediocre video game.

Still fun. The set pieces are even better. Recurring characters feel lived-in rather than forced.

Stray thoughts:

I’m glad established alien species return rather than obsessively creating new ones even if my wife doesn’t fully appreciate me pointing out Quarrens, Aqualish, Mon Calamari, Gamorreans.

Who decided Sand People needed their reputations rehabilitated?

Tim Olyphant was so perfect in the first episode I have to believe he was a second pick for the lead.

I love Giancarlo Esposito same as anyone, but I don’t like his character. With the notable exceptions of Thrawn and Ysanne Isard, the Empire should be staffed entirely by English and German men. They look down on everyone who isn’t huMAN. They’re the Empire, not the Rainbow Coalition. I’ve heard Squadrons does the same thing, and it annoys me more than it should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mezike, mtagge

More
01 Dec 2020 21:58 #316780 by dysjunct
I recently started watching THE MANDALORIAN after mostly avoiding SW since 1999 when the PHANTOM MENACE broke my heart. I watched ROGUE ONE for a friend’s birthday and liked it pretty well but everything else has been whatever.

MANDALORIAN has surprisingly been pretty fun. It does resemble a bad CRPG in that it’s a series of side quests with occasional armor level-ups. But the characters are good, it captures the humor plus the lived-in, run-down feel of the universe. I’m up to S2E2 and still finding it enjoyable.

I think my issue with the main arcs is that the chosen one stereotype is just dumb. Back in the day The Force was hokey chop-socky mysticism but it was egalitarian enough that Kenobi offered to teach it to Solo. Ever since that it’s become more and more exclusive and about wink-wink-nudge-nudge genetic superiority.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Gregarius, Nodens, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.847 seconds