October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
04 Mar 2021 12:38 #320039 by ChristopherMD

DarthJoJo wrote: She was an actress and a genius beyond categorization and a hopeful-senator’s wife. She was too many things, none of them well developed and none of them menacing.

I think she was supposed to be reminiscent of Hedy Lamarr who was an actress and a genius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2021 13:38 #320047 by jason10mm
Tribes of Europa on netflix. It baited me in with a promise to not be YA and it sort of isnt but mostly is. Basically a 30 years post apocalypse europe. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is so deliciously euro with the outlandish factions and whatnot ill give it a mild recommendation. Alas it ends without really resolving anything so even though it is just 6 eps maybe wait for at least an announcement of a season 2 before watching.

Doom Patrol on hbo max. WOW where was this show all my life??? Hardcore adult DC universe shenanigans! Massive violence (just against nazis so its ok!), graphic adult themes, even a bit of sex and nudity. Very shocking in a show that name drops Superman and the Justice League. Its not really a super hero show and i think they tried to stay true to the 40s-70's origins of the characters but pull them into current times and it doesn't quite work. But it has a great cyborg character and some really nice presonal development you dont get if you've been living on CW Berlanti-verse shows. It even has the balls to have 2 totally expressionless and faceless characters hold extended conversations with each other that are nothing but lines from the famous actors offscreen and gesticulations of the obscured body actors on screen, not something you ever see as usually faceless/mouthless characters get edited out somehow (like how green goblin and spiderman in the 2001 film quickly damage their masks to show the actors underneath).

More
04 Mar 2021 20:30 #320091 by charlest

Shellhead wrote: I enjoyed the first three seasons of Mr. Robot via Amazon Prime, but wasn't ready to pay money to see the 4th. (Though I did give my sister the boxed DVD set of the whole series for Christmas.) Now Amazon Prime is letting me watch season four for free, and it's still great. The show is bold, strange, unpredictable, and compelling. Just watched the Christmas episode, and it was suitably different. Christmas trappings and references all over the place, but no forced Hallmark Christmas messaging. Instead, the two parallel storylines of the episode each played out like one of the strangest nights in my own life. It's just wild the way this show can navigate through bizarre occurrences and yet arrive at these incredibly human and relatable moments.

I think Mr. Robot is one of the best shows ever created. The whole thing, from start to finish, is brilliant and unpredictable.

More
05 Mar 2021 18:46 #320140 by ChristopherMD
WandaVision started slow, unless you're an old sitcom fan, but ultimately was great and right up there with the best MCU movies. After this and The Mandalorian I'm really looking forward to more of the Disney+ shows now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, jason10mm

More
05 Mar 2021 20:05 #320142 by jason10mm
Wanda is almost too meta. My wife checked out but i stuck around and realize that you need knowledge of like 10 movies made by multiple studios to grok it all.

What a time to be alive! I can't figure out why it is working now but didn't in the past? The RIDICULOUS budget? A more informed viewership? The right person in charge making it all happen through sheer force of will?

More
05 Mar 2021 21:01 #320144 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Yeah I checked out. I don't have that knowledge. Every week I saw people going nuts and I'd watch and be like, eh, especially once the sitcom pastiches were over. Just more woe is me super hero stuff. It's an interesting point though that it has reached - how dependent can you make it based on prior knowledge? I have watched pretty much all of the MCU but they are lozenges to me - once watched they are out of my head. So, there's a balance right - they surely want people like me to keep watching, but the meta doesn't exist for us, so is there enough there? And I kind of suspect if they had released this all in one go for many there wouldn't be enough to hold the interest. I almost feel like half of why people are losing their minds is because they have created that space in which people can collectively lose their minds till the next one drops and people have forgotten what that is actually like so it feels novel.

But, I recognize the meta stuff is a big part of it.... I kind of felt the films have always done a decent job of this and most of the TV series too - it's there, the meta, but you dont need it... but this one felt like it was over the edge a little.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
05 Mar 2021 21:36 #320148 by ChristopherMD
Like 4 of the top 11 all-time box office are Avengers movies. This show is a direct continuation so I don't think it was ever not gonna get watched by a lot of people. But if you haven't watched Avengers 2-4 and maybe Captain America 3 then you probably won't get much out of it.

More
05 Mar 2021 23:34 #320152 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
That is a fair point about those movies being the most popular of all time.
But... I am included in those stats (i.e., I have watched them all, and most of the series), but I'm not a super fan, and most of the meta easter eggs went over my head, or I had to look them up, or whatever. Plus... I get the impression that most of those easter eggs are related to comic storylines or non-MCU stuff, right? Like, vision's silver double, wanda's brother not being wanda's brother but a guy who played her brother in another non MCU movie, all that. Watching the Avengers isn't going to help to understand those.

Anyway - no big deal, just, for whatever reason, I have not been blown away by it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
06 Mar 2021 09:12 - 06 Mar 2021 09:14 #320155 by jason10mm
FWIW Disney did make some sort of highlight reel for Wanda (does she ever get called Scarlet Witch?) and Vision. Marvel Legends or something. I didnt watch them because my kid had the MCU on repeat all Fall but at least disney is aware of and trying to remedy the problem.

Weekly drops are DEFINITELY a big contributor to a shows success IMHO, especially mystery type ones. The bingable dump actually killed a lot of shows for this kind of online discussion. Compare the GOT talk to Witcher or Stranger Things or whatever. Its real hard because there is little need to speculate since someone has already finished the show and others avoid reading anything due to spoilers.

It is the moderate interest shows that suffer from weekly releases to me. Much easier to just let it go by next week than to push through those last 4 eps.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2021 09:14 by jason10mm.

More
06 Mar 2021 09:44 - 06 Mar 2021 10:00 #320156 by Josh Look
I thought Wandavision MOSTLY stuck the landing.

I have just two gripes, neither if them necessarily deal breakers, but still unfortunate especially given that I wasn't really into those first 3 episodes.

Warning: Spoiler!

Other than that, I enjoyed it on a whole. I'm glad they didn't introduce any big new players that would have overshadowed the series. Here it is, we have a Scarlet Witch and Vision story that belongs to them and not a dumb piece of setup like bringing in the FF or X-Men. I know those things are coming, but attach it to a story with characters who have had their moments to shine. I'm glad we got to see these characters dived into and even though I didn't love the more pure sitcom episodes, I like that Olsen and Bettany got to show some range the movies didn't give room for.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2021 10:00 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm

More
06 Mar 2021 12:25 - 06 Mar 2021 13:17 #320161 by DarthJoJo
For what it’s worth, my sister, whom I’m pretty sure has seen zero MCU movies, watched and enjoyed WandaVision. I really need to talk about it with her because I don’t understand how, but it is possible.

On the other hand, I don’t get the super fans, the ones posting to YouTube an hour after episode drop. It’s always theories and looking to the next thing. What’s wrong with enjoying what you have and seeing where the creators take you? Why do you need to outguess them? I don’t get that mindset at all.

For my part, I enjoyed it. It was joyfully experimental for the best part of its run and a pretty good character piece. It was a surprise out of the MCU, and I’m glad to see they’re willing to try different things when they could put in zero effort and still make a profit.
Warning: Spoiler!

Edit: Did I do the spoiler shield right? I’ve never tried it before.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2021 13:17 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, mc, Ah_Pook

More
06 Mar 2021 12:33 #320162 by DarthJoJo
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but it’s fine that Marvel villains have traditionally been pretty weak. Unless they take a turn for the heroic like Loki and Nebula, they almost always last a single film. The heroes get five-film contracts. I’d rather the time was spent developing the heroes we’d actually be seeing again.

Of course, Thanos, Kilgore and Loki are all top of the villain list, but I’d throw Kingpin, Kilgrave, Stane, and Star-Lord’s dad up there. Does Mandarin count as a villain? Zemo, too. I’m most looking forward to his return in Falcon and Winter Soldier.

More
06 Mar 2021 13:18 #320163 by Gary Sax
I fixed it for you Darth, you used the feature that lets you hide text from people who are not logged in instead of the spoiler tag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
06 Mar 2021 13:28 #320166 by jason10mm
I think DC has a better rogues gallery than most marvel heroes, spiderman aside. I think the best villains are dark reflections of the hero (and DCs more mythic template works in their favor for this) or fully actualized characters in their own right, which again goes to DC IMHO.

Recent Marvel shows have started to turn this though. Kingpin in Daredevil and Kilgore especially. Thanos was a fun villain but his underlying motivation was pretty wispy, not sure his team would have been onboard with it.

More
06 Mar 2021 13:35 #320167 by Josh Look
Batman has the best rogue's gallery in comics for sure (aside from Magneto, of course), but DC's not doing anything worthwhile in film. TV may be a different story, but I'm not sure I care anymore. Batman V Superman and Joker were so terrible, my love of those characters may never recover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds