October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
20 Mar 2021 23:32 - 20 Mar 2021 23:34 #320951 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: Goddamn Danger Five took all of 5 seconds to become my new favorite show. "SEXY BITCH MODE ACTIVATED" is my new slogan for life :)

Its almost too fast, no joke has time to breathe. And it is soooooo politically incorrect :)

I’m amused that each time someone dies they give their perfect cocktail recipe.

I’m watching the series again with one of my 18 year old boys.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2021 23:34 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2021 01:11 - 21 Mar 2021 01:11 #320958 by Gary Sax
My wife and I tore through the episodes of Drive to Survive season 3. The Gasly win is so emotional, incredible sporting moment.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 01:11 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
21 Mar 2021 10:58 #320973 by Disgustipater

jason10mm wrote: Yeah, Carnival was a weird one. It ended early I believe so I suppose it is possible it would have tied all that stuff together but I have significant doubts.

It was intended to be six seasons and only got the two. It seems insane to me that it was supposed to go on that long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
25 Mar 2021 08:48 #321196 by the_jake_1973
My wife and I are watching The Mandalorian. we ditched cable and got streaming services. Disney was included with Hulu, so there you go.

Anyways......through 4(?) episodes, it is okay.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, Sagrilarus, Msample

More
25 Mar 2021 09:13 - 25 Mar 2021 09:30 #321197 by Sagrilarus

the_jake_1973 wrote: My wife and I are watching The Mandalorian. we ditched cable and got streaming services. Disney was included with Hulu, so there you go.

Anyways......through 4(?) episodes, it is okay.

It will continue to grow in its mediocrity as you watch.

Though I appreciate that the audience here on TWBG enjoys the setting, this show is looking for the gee-wiz to carry it, with gee-wiz invented in 1977. Though extremely polished, it is light fare, and filmed in a very pedestrian way. Frankly I think Star Wars Rebels has more depth and consideration to its characters and storyline, a cartoon made for kids.

Dropping cable and finding non-U.S. TV shows has brought me to 19-2, Scott & Bailey, Shetland, any number of shows that I've recommended here that are simply better products. This is not up for debate; they are competing in a higher league and succeeding. 19-2 could have been set in a Star Wars town, and if it had The Mandalorian would be considered its little sister. Its filming, its character development, its story, the whole package is better. They set a higher goal and they reached it.

I know, I'm being a dick. Should have saved it for Friday. But short of The Expanse I don't see anything in science fiction (and not much in this thread) that is looking to reach beyond lowest-common-denominator at the moment. West World kind of did. Man in the High Castle seemed to set goals and then wander away from them in the second season.

The Mandalorian is checking very few boxes not because it couldn't, but because they only put two or three on the paper to go after. It looks to me like they've budgeted $5,000,000 per episode and $750 of that is going to set and costumes. It feels like a 14 year old's D&D adventure. Their filming technique is pedestrian. Yeah, I get it, everyone loves the setting.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2021 09:30 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, the_jake_1973, Gregarius, Nodens

More
25 Mar 2021 09:46 #321198 by RobertB
I've got a problem with Star Wars walkers, that I love to share. :) Way back when, when I was in the Army, the M1 was just starting to get produced for deployment. One of the problems that its predecessor, the M60, had was that it was too tall - the shorter a tank is, the easier it is to hide and the harder it is to see. The lower profile of the M1 was a selling point. Cool, never thought of that. So here comes an Imperial walker, and it's 30 feet tall! It makes up for its insane height by being slow - it's not an Imperial Runner. And you can literally trip it with a rope. My ex-coworker said that wasn't a problem, because it's a "terror weapon." For the crew, maybe. If you're in it, be sure and update your will.

Yeah, it's Hollywood. Dramatic license and all that. But still...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, the_jake_1973

More
25 Mar 2021 09:54 #321201 by Shellhead
Finished watching Mr. Robot. Fantastic show, though it falters a bit near the end of the final episode. Until then, the show is bold, subversive, creative, intense, and compelling. I was saddened by the Gift of the Magi style twist ending for Darlene and Dominique, but it was a classic case of the attraction of opposites. There was a minor character from an earlier season who came back with an idiotic plan in season four, and that felt like a waste of time until suddenly he was crucial and I can't imagine the story without him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
25 Mar 2021 10:05 #321203 by charlest
I thought the ending of Mr. Robot was unusually strong. It wasn't perfect as you say, but very few can pull off any kind of quality ending with a multi-season show, particularly one so cerebral and weird as Mr. Robot. It's cemented itself as one of my all time favorite shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 Mar 2021 10:16 #321206 by the_jake_1973

RobertB wrote: I've got a problem with Star Wars walkers, that I love to share. :) Way back when, when I was in the Army, the M1 was just starting to get produced for deployment. One of the problems that its predecessor, the M60, had was that it was too tall - the shorter a tank is, the easier it is to hide and the harder it is to see. The lower profile of the M1 was a selling point.

And yet our Bradleys, scouting tanks for those unaware, were nice and tall. LOL

More
25 Mar 2021 10:54 #321212 by RobertB
I think someone put this up there about the Bradley.

The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
25 Mar 2021 12:43 #321226 by Sagrilarus
The Bradley has always been a jobs program, not a military vehicle. You can't really use it as an example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
25 Mar 2021 13:13 #321228 by Gregarius
It's so interesting to me to read what details bother different people. I love Mandalorian, but I agree it has issues. But I don't think any of my issues would have intersected with yours, even though I agree with most of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Mar 2021 13:19 #321229 by the_jake_1973

Gregarius wrote: It's so interesting to me to read what details bother different people. I love Mandalorian, but I agree it has issues. But I don't think any of my issues would have intersected with yours, even though I agree with most of them.

My buddy is a huge SW fan and feels the same way. He said I was being too critical. LOL

More
25 Mar 2021 14:14 - 25 Mar 2021 14:15 #321235 by ChristopherMD
The more you look at Star Wars critically the less space wizards make sense so it's best not to look at it too critically.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2021 14:15 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, the_jake_1973, Gregarius

More
25 Mar 2021 14:43 #321240 by the_jake_1973
Space wizards I can explain away as a traditionally mystical element. It is the stuff that ought to be grounded more in the physical plane which trouble me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds