October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
25 Mar 2021 17:29 #321253 by RobertB
Yeah, let's kick SW around some more. :)

I get a lot of mileage out of Hoth. Let's just assume that some Imperial corporation managed to sell a million AT-ATs to the Empire. Nobody on the Rebel side has seen or even heard of one? No Rebel has come up with an antitank weapon more effective than a rope? "Grab a snowspeeder and, I dunno, do something."

Compare and contrast to Rogue One. Those guys mean business. Granted, ramming Ben-Hur style as a space combat tactic is pretty lame*, but they get a pass because up to that point the movie's done pretty good for a Star Wars movie.

Verisimilitude, it's a thing. These AT-ATs are making me look a little too close at the space wizards now.

*Now there was ramming. Turn around and run into the other ship as close to the speed of light (or whatever its analog is in Star Wars space) as you can get. Laura Dern definitely put the kibosh on that Empire ship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2021 18:42 #321257 by jason10mm
Ugh, let's not bleed over into The Last Jedi lest the entire site go down.

I like Mando. I don't expect a lot of realism in my fantasy so long as there is internal consistency and if Star Wars has done nothing else, it has maintained a WONDERFUL design language through numerous films, tv shows, and assorted media.

And FWIW, i think there are some very quick shots of running AT-STs in the hoth battle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
25 Mar 2021 23:01 - 25 Mar 2021 23:05 #321268 by Cranberries
I'm still rewatching Monk. It's a bit formulaic by the 7th season, but there are still surprises, cleverness, and occasional bits of meta-humor. Also my wife is rewatching it with me, which is more fun.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2021 23:05 by Cranberries.

More
26 Mar 2021 10:50 #321288 by the_jake_1973

CranBerries wrote: I'm still rewatching Monk. It's a bit formulaic by the 7th season, but there are still surprises, cleverness, and occasional bits of meta-humor. Also my wife is rewatching it with me, which is more fun.

My wife has been rewatching the series. It is still a good show and Tony Shaloub is fun to watch.

More
26 Mar 2021 13:17 #321295 by Jackwraith

the_jake_1973 wrote:

CranBerries wrote: I'm still rewatching Monk. It's a bit formulaic by the 7th season, but there are still surprises, cleverness, and occasional bits of meta-humor. Also my wife is rewatching it with me, which is more fun.

My wife has been rewatching the series. It is still a good show and Tony Shaloub is fun to watch.

He will always be my favorite character in Galaxy Quest. One of my favorite moments is the first teleportation scene:

"Now that was a helluva thing."
[The rest of the crew is freaking out.]
"What's the matter with them?"
Tim Allen: "I don't know. Come on!"

More
29 Mar 2021 15:38 #321380 by Shellhead
In chronological order of release:

1. The Rockford Files, season one. The standalone episodes tend to leave out crucial information to make the stories work, because one hour minus commercials isn't enough time to do a proper detective story. But the intermittently clever dialogue and plot twists elevate the material, and James Garner deploys massive charm to win over the viewer. I was surprised to see that the two-part pilot used a different actor to play Rocky, and that actor sounds exactly like Rocky.

2. Danger 5, season two. The first episode of the second season was a disappointing departure from season one, though possibly only because it dispensed with several running gags from the first season.

3. Invincible, first three episodes. This animated series is an Amazon exclusive based on an Image superhero comic that started in the early '00s. The animation is decent, but not cutting edge. Each episode is preceded by an Amazon warning that some flashing lights might trigger an epileptic seizure, which reveals the anime roots of the animation team. Most of the heroes are stock cliches inspired by more famous superheroes, especially DC's Justice League. So far, the primary storyline is a tired
Warning: Spoiler!
story that has been through the photocopier too many times over the decades. Other than that, the writing is pretty decent, especially the character development. However, the violence is occasionally grotesque. You have probably heard of Robert Kirkman, the writer of the Invincible comics, because he also wrote The Walking Dead comics. One of the executive producers is Seth Rogen, who also brought edgy comic books The Preacher and The Boys to television. The timing of the release of Invincible is great, because the title character is a positive and non-stereotypical Asian role model.

More
29 Mar 2021 15:48 #321382 by jason10mm
Invincible is decent, but man, it wallows in the teen superhero tropes soooooo much. Then it punctures the tedium with grotesque hyper violence worthy of 80s anime. I'm hoping the teen nonsense is just set up for some expectation upheaval (kinda like The Boys) but I'm not super optimistic. Still, it is better than most.

I'd like to see a more realistic portrayal of teens thrown into a violent murder mill of super powered crime fighting but other than modeling it on Vietnam or WW1 trench warfare I'm not sure any writer today understands that psyche, at least a writer from the west.

It would also behoove writers to understand the physics of being thrown through a concrete and steel structure versus punched in the face. One of those things should hurt A LOT more :p

Dug the aliens though, that ep was very well done.

More
29 Mar 2021 16:23 #321384 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I watched the first episode of the Irregulars last night.

I know it's not meant to be taken seriously in any way but it REALLY pissed me off in these little ways (behind on their rent money for a MASSIVE room, in a slum directly opposite 221B Baker street, yeah sure, they've been to the workhouse one time, but one of them is called Spike but he's the one who hasn't been, okay, Prince has never been out of the palace but also knows where the parish records are, uhuh) and then I fell asleep.

More
29 Mar 2021 16:31 #321385 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: It would also behoove writers to understand the physics of being thrown through a concrete and steel structure versus punched in the face. One of those things should hurt A LOT more :p

It would behoove all writers to take some lessons in physics, as they clearly understand none of it. They understand flash-bangs, because they're great for moving a plot line. But an explosion 10,000 times more powerful, which would char the flesh of the victim should they somehow survive the severe disruption to their cells of the force blast . . . well, that's another thing. "Are you ok?" "Yeah, I'll be fine." Yep. Sure. I was a few hundred yards away from a 50 pound black powder explosion and the heat from it was pretty doggone educational.

Superhero films can always depend on the super-duper toughness of their characters to magically make that all go away. But Tom Cruise gets his ass blown up all the time and I think it gets people underestimating just how dangerous some of the things they do are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
29 Mar 2021 16:39 #321386 by the_jake_1973
Now that we have broken from cable and gone to just streaming services, my wife has been binging dumpster fire television on her days off. Hoarders is one I can't stand since it can be a bit close to my mother's behavior if left unchecked by my sis or myself.

She has found the Love Island UK version.....nothing but chavs off the estate. There seems to be a particular orange shade of foundation popular with the women on the show.

We did find an aquatic dumpster fire show, Below Deck. Follows the (rotating) crew of a luxury yacht for a season. So terrible, but I can't look away.

More
29 Mar 2021 16:44 #321387 by Shellhead
Someone should tell the chav women that they look like low-budget kogals.

More
29 Mar 2021 16:50 #321388 by charlest
We fell into a hoarders binge early on in the pandemic. There's some crazy stuff in that series.

More
29 Mar 2021 17:21 #321390 by Shellhead
I have avoided watching Hoarders because I am a level one hoarder: light amounts of clutter, no noticeable odors, and all of my doors and stairs are unobstructed. But I do have about thirty storage boxes of various sizes in my attic and basement, not counting my actual collections of books, comic books, and games. With great effort, I intend to reduce that down to a half dozen storage boxes this year, including three boxes of financial records going back seven years plus permanent stuff like my mortgage. Most of the rest should be recycled, donated, or thrown away. Even my game collection needs pruning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
29 Mar 2021 17:25 #321391 by Msample
I am very much in the anti hoarder side of my tendencies; after recently having to clean out the apartment of a deceased relative who was a hoarder to the point of finding stacks of ten year old newspapers and magazines in piles so high it took up two bedrooms and he didn't even own a bed ( sleeping on a couch ) I'd find watching such a series highly unpleasant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Mar 2021 18:16 - 29 Mar 2021 18:16 #321393 by charlest

Shellhead wrote: I have avoided watching Hoarders because I am a level one hoarder: light amounts of clutter, no noticeable odors, and all of my doors and stairs are unobstructed. But I do have about thirty storage boxes of various sizes in my attic and basement, not counting my actual collections of books, comic books, and games. With great effort, I intend to reduce that down to a half dozen storage boxes this year, including three boxes of financial records going back seven years plus permanent stuff like my mortgage. Most of the rest should be recycled, donated, or thrown away. Even my game collection needs pruning.

That's nothing like the show. Standouts include someone who had dozens of dead animals in her fridge and freezer (with a slurry of decayed juices pooling in the bottom of the fridge), as well as another person who had a layer of human feces compacted into their floor below the trash.

Watching this was a reflection of my mental state last summer.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2021 18:16 by charlest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.062 seconds