October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
30 Mar 2021 04:30 #321398 by Greg Aleknevicus
I find watching shows about hoarders to be the greatest incentive to clean the house and/or get rid of unneeded items.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2021 08:41 #321402 by the_jake_1973
I preferred the Marie Kondo show as incentive to prune. Hoarders is just depressing.

More
30 Mar 2021 09:46 #321408 by RobertB
We've been pruning possessions lately. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I cleaned out our clothes closet. Stuff that's too old or too small got donated to charity. Last Sunday it was old PC and audio/video accessories. My new hobby is ripping CDs to get them ready to be boxed up. We see a move to a smaller house in our future, and it will probably be too small for all this stuff. Boardgames, books, and my wife's scrapbooking stuff are on deck, and those will be hard.

More
30 Mar 2021 10:23 #321414 by TerryONeill
I recently discovered UNFORGOTTEN and it's the best TV I've seen in ages. I think the first series has about two days left on Netflix UK so you better get on it if you are interested!

Series 4 is in ITV Hub in the UK at the moment and the final episode aired last night. I haven't actually watched that yet so no spoilers please!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
30 Mar 2021 10:29 #321416 by RobertB
I'm rewatching Westworld, season 1. I think I like it better now that I know season one's secrets.

For me personally, it teeters on the verge of making me overthink it. The Hosts are right on the verge of making me overthink it. I keep thinking, "Why aren't these in general usage?" Why isn't every menial, and most non-menial, jobs done by Host-technology androids? But I can stand it because for me the show is done so well. If that sort of thing is what s2 and s3 are about, don't spoil it for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, TerryONeill

More
30 Mar 2021 10:43 #321418 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: I'm rewatching Westworld, season 1. I think I like it better now that I know season one's secrets.

For me personally, it teeters on the verge of making me overthink it. The Hosts are right on the verge of making me overthink it. I keep thinking, "Why aren't these in general usage?" Why isn't every menial, and most non-menial, jobs done by Host-technology androids? But I can stand it because for me the show is done so well. If that sort of thing is what s2 and s3 are about, don't spoil it for me.

Good questions, but I assume the androids are expensive. It's the same reason why so many leftists aren't driving electric cars yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
30 Mar 2021 11:48 #321427 by southernman
Started The Umbrella Academy this week, all well done and acted with decent music inserts so great entertainment so far.

More
30 Mar 2021 11:56 #321429 by jason10mm
Stop after season 1 and call it a win.

Trust me on this.

More
30 Mar 2021 14:30 - 30 Mar 2021 14:41 #321440 by ubarose

TerryONeill wrote: I recently discovered UNFORGOTTEN and it's the best TV I've seen in ages. I think the first series has about two days left on Netflix UK so you better get on it if you are interested!

Series 4 is in ITV Hub in the UK at the moment and the final episode aired last night. I haven't actually watched that yet so no spoilers please!!!

I love Unforgotten. We haven't gotten season 4 here in the US on any of my streaming services yet, so no spoilers if you've seen it.. I just read today that there will be a season 5.

I'm watching Irregulars now which is a combination of all my guilty TV watching pleasures:crime drama, young adult super natural fiction, and 19th century costume drama.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2021 14:41 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TerryONeill

More
30 Mar 2021 15:29 #321448 by Nodens
Just finished the first Season of Lupin with the always great Omar Sy. It was kind of disappointing, but only because the first episode is SO great. The second a little less so and this trend continues, including sudden logic failures on the writers' side. Overall still a yes, though.
Unforgotten isn't on Netflix, so we tried out the literally closest thing which is Unorthodox, a show based on the autobiographical story of a married woman's escape from New York to Berlin. A very nice surprise with a good cast, strong writing and camera, especially the cities are presented well.

More
30 Mar 2021 15:33 #321449 by ubarose
Yeah, I thin Unforgotten is on Amazon Prime.

Unorthodox was excellent. It's a movie that has stuck with me despite my excessive amount of binge watching this past year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, TerryONeill

More
30 Mar 2021 20:45 #321467 by Sagrilarus
Unforgotten is superb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, TerryONeill

More
31 Mar 2021 07:31 #321480 by southernman

jason10mm wrote: Stop after season 1 and call it a win.

Trust me on this.

I've moved onto this because I've been doing that with the Marvel TV universe series - I enjoyed all the first series and some of the second series but have dumped Luke Cage and Iron Fist seasons 2 as I just thought the stories were shit and now I'm forcing myself to finish Daredevil S3, although since I have started watching the Umbrella Academy I probably have subconsciously dumped that as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
31 Mar 2021 08:07 #321483 by mezike
I watched the first episode of Unforgotten last night, it was indeed very good. The thing that I enjoyed the most was when the "CSI" team got to work, it came across much more natural and realistic than certain other shows, no holograms or "enhance pixels" bullshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, TerryONeill

More
04 Apr 2021 13:14 - 04 Apr 2021 14:13 #321642 by Gary Sax
I finally got around to watching the first three eps of Star Trek: Discovery last night. I'm known as liking the first two seasons a lot, which is not a common opinion, so feel free not to tell me the first two seasons suck because ok that's fair I get it.

The thing about season 3 is that they started with a solid premise for star trek hijinx, and every note they've hit along the way has been pretty good. But this is a great example of a show that needed to be a full season of television and not a 12 episode prestige streaming TV show. The show has ZERO time to breath. They launch from plot point to plot point as if the characters and the audience has had many episodes to get used to the status quo and come to love the characters. Guy we just introduced last episode? You love him now and will be deeply emotionally invested in him. Trauma happened last episode? You will deeply understanding of the sorrowful emotional impact of that on the characters. And will be empathetic about them finally coming to terms with it, even though that event is 20 minutes later in TV time and *1-2 days* later in actual plot time. It just doesn't work very well.

So I admire the creative team behind this thing but they need to look at what they have in terms of minutes and just be comfortable doing less. It would make the character beats work better; a lot of them fall flat and it has nothing to do with the actors, nor really with the writing, they just aren't earned time and audience-wise.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2021 14:13 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.012 seconds