October 09, 2023
2497 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2698 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
04 Apr 2021 14:02 #321643 by Msample
I've been re watching AGENT CARTER ; hadn't seen it since it first aired. Overall I really like it. The show has a real comic book feel to it; Hayley Atwell and esp James D'Arcy are excellent . They wisely keep the Howard Stark character limited; while he's entertaining he could have easily been too much of a good thing and is best used in moderation.

I have a feeling that the show would have faired better if it came out more recently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 16:15 #321647 by hotseatgames
Based on the recommendations here, I knocked out the first two episodes of Unforgotten on Amazon Prime. Very well done show! I do love British cop shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, TerryONeill

More
04 Apr 2021 22:04 #321651 by Not Sure
I don't know if anyone has Apple TV+ (I had a free offer from buying a laptop), but Ted Lasso is really good. Like surprisingly so.

The premise (American football coach is hired to coach a lower-mid English Premier League team) seems pretty thin, but there's a lot more there than I expected.

Honestly one of the better things I've watched in the last year, episodic-TV-wise. I'd be willing to say it's worth the $4.95 for a month just to watch the 10 episodes and cancel it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
05 Apr 2021 10:03 #321661 by the_jake_1973
We watched WandaVision and it was entirely enjoyable. It is one of the more human stories in the MCU I think.

Falcon and the Snowman(Winter Soldier) continues to be good. I dislike the new Cap. He has that 'just following orders' scent about him, but I'm guessing that is kinda the point as a counter to what Steve was. He also has stupid face.

More
05 Apr 2021 10:08 #321662 by Shellhead

the_jake_1973 wrote: Falcon and the Snowman(Winter Soldier) continues to be good. I dislike the new Cap. He has that 'just following orders' scent about him, but I'm guessing that is kinda the point as a counter to what Steve was. He also has stupid face.

New Cap is Wyatt Russell, son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. He has been getting death threats from some overzealous Cap fans. That chin strap really throws off the proportions of his face when he wears his mask, making him almost look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

More
05 Apr 2021 10:35 #321663 by the_jake_1973
He really does look bad in the mask. It is the chin. Also, he has the mouth of someone who has dipped for a long time.

More
05 Apr 2021 11:01 #321665 by ChristopherMD
The new Captain America is
Warning: Spoiler!

More
05 Apr 2021 11:04 #321667 by the_jake_1973
Chris, I remembered that as well from the comic. I wondered if that was going to be a thing or not.

More
05 Apr 2021 11:05 #321668 by RobertB

the_jake_1973 wrote: We watched WandaVision and it was entirely enjoyable. It is one of the more human stories in the MCU I think.

I liked WandaVision, but they definitely handwaved the ending a little bit. Wanda has basically kidnapped an entire town for a whole month, and at the end of it she says, "Uh, sorry." Sure, that's okay, would have done the same thing, don't worry about it. I guess that's the backstory of The Boys.

Maybe there's a show waiting in the wings for this. Sokovia Accords 2: Electric Boogaloo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
05 Apr 2021 11:19 #321669 by the_jake_1973
Marvel and DC give much more latitude to the collateral damage created by heroes than one ought to reasonably expect.

More
05 Apr 2021 20:20 #321692 by dysjunct
Marvel did a tongue-in-cheek limited series about the collateral effects:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damage_Control_%28comics%29

It was pretty funny. I mean, superhero comics are ridiculous for many reasons, which makes a straight take even better.

I finished WANDAVISION last week and unironically enjoyed it. Had enough straightforward stuff to keep the less-nerdy spouse involved, with enough Easter Eggs to make me cackle fairly regularly.

More
05 Apr 2021 21:14 #321693 by DarthJoJo
I’ve been keeping up with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and I feel like it’s caught between two worlds. On the one hand it wants to be all-caps IMPORTANT and about these times we live in. Storylines on race and PTSD and debt were front and center in the premiere and have continued. Which is fine and admirable but has to take place in (and is undercut by) the heightened Marvel universe. It’s mundane but what does happen when half the world’s population disappears and loses five years of credit history and earnings? How does racism change when an African nation reveals it has a magic mineral that puts all its technology about fifty years ahead of Silicon Valley’s best? How does the world cope with the trauma of losing billions in a minute and then them returning years later? Cool and important questions in-universe but weird to cover at the same time as normal, contemporary racism.

So that’s the first Falcon and Winter Soldier, the show that wants comics to be about the big issues. The second is classic Marvel: wing-suited villains flying into helicopters, people punching each other off semis, Madripoor and Zemo claiming his ancestral title and evolving into an absolute cartoon villain from the broken secret service officer he once was. The special effects teams and CGI artists could do it in their sleep after a decade of the MCU, but it’s dumb fun.

I feel like the creators are struggling to balance these two, and the series would have been better served by making it 80/20 one or the other rather than the 50/50 it’s sitting at now.

That said, the real problem may actually be in its title characters. Anthony Mackie has n easy charm and solid screen presence, but there is little to the Falcon character, even less to the Winter Soldier who has spent his film time silent and sullen. The characters have minimal history together, and the series kept them apart for a full episode, giving even less time to the title relationship.

It’s not bad, but I’d be surprised if the back half of the season can make it anywhere near as memorable as WandaVision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
06 Apr 2021 00:22 #321700 by Greg Aleknevicus

the_jake_1973 wrote: Marvel and DC give much more latitude to the collateral damage created by heroes than one ought to reasonably expect.

I had a one-shot indie comic book from the 80s (I think) called "Destroy!!!" The entirety of the story was two superheroes beating the shit out of each other in New York city. Of course, the increasing violence destroys damn-near everything but the denouement is the mayor declaring "Well, at least no one was hurt!"

More
06 Apr 2021 16:45 #321734 by Joebot

Not Sure wrote: I don't know if anyone has Apple TV+ (I had a free offer from buying a laptop), but Ted Lasso is really good. Like surprisingly so.

The premise (American football coach is hired to coach a lower-mid English Premier League team) seems pretty thin, but there's a lot more there than I expected.

Honestly one of the better things I've watched in the last year, episodic-TV-wise. I'd be willing to say it's worth the $4.95 for a month just to watch the 10 episodes and cancel it.

I'm about half way through it, and I LOVE it. It's the most un-cynical comedy I've seen in years,. It's so sweet and earnest and charming. Don't get me wrong, I like mean-spirited comedies like Veep just fine, but Ted Lasso is the exact opposite of that, and it's delightful.

I've also been watching For All Mankind on AppleTV+. It's okay. The space stuff is great. The "back on Earth" stuff ... ehh ... kinda dull.

More
06 Apr 2021 17:04 #321735 by charlest
I really like For All Mankind (just finished the first season).

It's certainly slow but it's very thoughtful and interesting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.637 seconds