October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Apr 2021 23:35 #322493 by ChristopherMD
Finished the last couple episodes of Falcon and the Winter Soldier. It was fun and I'd rate it on a scale from Incredible Hulk to Infinity War a solid Avengers 2 which in hindsight I do feel is underrated.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, mtagge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2021 02:40 - 24 Apr 2021 02:40 #322495 by mtagge
Well, I'll be! Invincible answered all but one of the unanswered questions in the final episode of the season. I guess I've gotten used to shows and movies ever since Lost that introduce at least one mystery every episode and then just never answer them. I was worried because the comic is from Kirkman whose Walking Dead just goes on and on and on and on.

Falcon and Winter Soldier finale tonight.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2021 02:40 by mtagge.

More
24 Apr 2021 10:21 #322499 by Shellhead
Discouraged by the final episode of Invincible, though I assume there will be another season. Itchy and Scratchy level of violence, only without the dark humor. Good characterization and interesting ideas squandered for a disappointing story. I really hate people who say "We need to talk" instead of just getting to the goddamn point, and in hindsight this whole series has been a bunch of We need to talk stuff. Writer Robert Kirkman has some good ideas, but he traffics very heavily in cliches, starting with the very tired story of What If Superman Went Bad? I'm bored even writing about it. I think that it's great the way Seth Rogen is bringing comics to television, but I wish he had better taste in comics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, mtagge, DarthJoJo

More
24 Apr 2021 10:58 #322500 by Sagrilarus
Just finished 19-2 and the ending was excellent. Much recommended.

More
24 Apr 2021 11:09 #322501 by Shellhead
More venting about Invincible:

The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
24 Apr 2021 23:34 #322511 by Shellhead
Roku has Masters of Horror, and it's a mixed bag of an anthology series. I got very excited that the first episode was named "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road," because that is the title of a thrilling Joe R. Lansdale story that I read many years ago. But Roku has the titles of the episodes all mixed up, so this first episode was actually "Deer Woman." Which was okay, because it was a moderately interesting homicide investigation that gets into a bit of native american lore.

Episode two was trashy, like a twilight zone episode with extreme gore and some nudity and sex. In fact, this show should be called Masters and Johnson of Horror, because of there has been an average of three sex scenes per episode in the first three episodes. Anyway, this episode was mislabeled as "The Dreams in the Witch-House," which would have been amazing because it was the first Lovecraft story that I read, and is exceptionally creepy. Instead, the actual episode was "Jennifer," and features the world's stupidest cop and a monster with an amazing body.

Though mislabeled "Dance of the Dead," episode three was my Incident at last. It matched up well with my memory of the original story, and was just as shocking. Great stuff, and it's a shame that more of Joe R. Lansdale hasn't been translated into tv or movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, DarthJoJo

More
24 Apr 2021 23:54 #322512 by dysjunct
The "Cigarette Burns" episode of Masters of Horror messed me the fuck up one night when I wanted to watch a fun scary movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 Apr 2021 00:15 #322516 by RobertB
Falcon/ Winter Soldier ep 6. I have thoughts.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars

More
26 Apr 2021 08:26 #322540 by the_jake_1973
We watched the first epi of Shadow and Bone on Netflix. Finally a show that is not set in fkn London, although most everyone has an English accent. The setting seems to be inspired by Tsarist Russia and that works for me. You do have the typical pretty young things driving the world per the YA formula, but it is more tolerable than the standard fare. The magic system reminds me of the Imperial mages from Sam Sykes' series, Grave of Empires, and that is not entirely a bad thing. It could just as easily remind someone of WHFRP's schools of magic as well, I suppose. I am looking forward to continuing the series.

More
26 Apr 2021 09:53 #322543 by Sagrilarus
Not quite on-topic, but I’d like to mention that when people look back 30 years from now this will be the era of the overhead shot. Every TV show my wife and I watch has a drone camera looking down on the main characters, every episode. Hollywood’s new toy. I’m trying to decide how long before that becomes passé.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
26 Apr 2021 10:12 #322544 by Gregarius
A good measuring stick might be how long Hollywood was enamored with "bullet-time" from The Matrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, jason10mm

More
26 Apr 2021 10:23 #322547 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: Not quite on-topic, but I’d like to mention that when people look back 30 years from now this will be the era of the overhead shot. Every TV show my wife and I watch has a drone camera looking down on the main characters, every episode. Hollywood’s new toy. I’m trying to decide how long before that becomes passé.

Hollywood has not yet embraced the full potential of the drone camera. Check out this amazing drone camera footage filmed in a single take at a bowling alley/entertainment venue in Minneapolis:

More
26 Apr 2021 10:37 #322550 by jason10mm
They gotta be careful with drones, very easy to move so fast that on a theater sized screen it would make people sick.

I see it really helping with vehicle stuff and stunts, since you can put a drone in spots no human can go and you can just paint them green and edit them out of coverage. Of course CGI has already replaced many stunts. But go look for slackline videos on YouTube and you will see daredevils still doing crazy stuff.

More
26 Apr 2021 11:20 #322555 by DarthJoJo
Gangs of London

It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. On the reputation of Gareth Evans, I was hyped. Unfortunately, it was more the tropes of undercover work and gang politics of Raid 2 than the adrenaline and visceral fights of Raid 2. There were two standout fights in the first half of the season, and the fifth episode was worth it as an Assault on Precinct 13 in miniature. There was great location work, and some beautifully framed shots. But what was it all in service of? A mystery that was actively uninteresting by the fourth episode and lots of revenge and talk about family.

The characters? It's a mixed bag. On the one hand, there's a real interest in the side characters. Almost every character with a name gets a few scenes that leave an impression. You know them better than the traditional cannon fodder and care when they get in a showdown with one of the leads. On the other hand, the attention paid to them is time not spent on the leads. They felt hollow, and no one suffered from this more than Joe Cole. He's a perfectly fine actor from what I've seen of him in Peaky Blinders and Black Mirror, but his only note in Gangs was emotional emptiness. Father dead? Emotionally empty. Torturing someone for information? Emotionally empty. Family splintering and allies disappearing? Emotionally empty.

This should have been the second season. It shouldn't have started with the fall. It should have started with the family on the upswing, reaching its peak, maybe even distancing itself from its gang origins. Give us time to see them happy and strong before pulling out the rug.

The best comparison may by the American House of Cards. Both are, and I mean this in the best possible way, trash. Their plots are overheated and only serve to celebrate the evil of the powerful. They could lean into that, accept what they are and be ridiculous, but they would rather be prestige. They want to win Emmys and BAFTAs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
26 Apr 2021 11:47 #322559 by jason10mm

the_jake_1973 wrote: We watched the first epi of Shadow and Bone on Netflix. Finally a show that is not set in fkn London, although most everyone has an English accent.

It's interesting why English accents are the defacto "historical/fantasy" accents for english. I suspect it is a combination of the dominance of English actors in general in places where these films used to be shot training our ear for decades and the somewhat "less serious" (to be tactful) way many other accents can be when churning out epic speeches and whatnot. Yet another hurrah to The Expanse for sticking to their guns with that belter cant instead of just making it high english.

I'm curious if asian actors "put on an accent" or the equivalent when they do various films. It's all lost on my ear or removed via dubbing, but I wonder if there is a specific type of Cantonese or whatever that has as strong an association with genre as that very clipped English accent does for us.

Then of course there are shows like the sky (I think) version of the Borgias where every actor across numerous nationalities just does whatever accent they can in English, making for some very humorous dinner table conversation when Italian, german, English, and american accents are English. coming from what is supposed to be a single family.

BTW, if you are looking for something like Masters of Horror without the steamy sex, try the new Creepshow show from Shudder (some of it is on amazon prime). Much lower budget but some solid stories in there with good casts. That dollhouse ep......ugh. There was another one called Bus of Blood or something on netflix that was just ok. Its a hard sell for these shows if you aren't relying on boobs to bring in viewers. Being consistently creepy is tough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.058 seconds