October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Apr 2021 19:34 #322632 by jason10mm
I liked Community quite a bit, I think it will stick and decades from now will still be remembered.

The "drowface" thing somehow being a blackface offense really ticked me off. I'm not sure how or why "orcs and drow are black people" was allowed to survive as a viable idea but it anchored itself into the consciousness for the worst. It basically makes almost all screen accurate cosplay pretty problematic.

Always Sunny had the Lethal Weapon ep pulled as well, right? That IS blackface but damn, that was a good ep and I dont think it was mean-spirited or demeaning to anyone (other than Richard Donner perhaps).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2021 21:27 #322633 by DarthJoJo

Gary Sax wrote: Everyone I know raves about it, but I just never felt any actual heart in Community. It was all basically just over the top cartoon characters to me, but lots of people I know say it has genuine character moments and such.

I don’t know if I’d say Community had heart. It definitely wasn’t a Parks and Recreation where the characters made each other better. Honestly, if Dan Harmon wasn’t misanthropic, he was at least cynical. What heartfelt moments there were, though, Donald Glover was there for them.

It’s greatest strength was its flexibility. You never knew what you were going to get with Community, be it a school dance or My Dinner With Andre homage or fake clip show or paintball, and it sold them. It was triumphantly weird. The closest thing I know to be a live-action Simpsons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, jason10mm, sornars

More
28 Apr 2021 14:02 #322657 by Shellhead
I accidentally started binging How I Met Your Mother recently. The episodes are relatively short, interesting, and funny, and the first season is exceptional. Based on my previous viewing, the show gradually becomes a little more serious and a little less funny with each season, and I think I bailed after the 6th season.

More
28 Apr 2021 14:29 - 28 Apr 2021 14:30 #322658 by DarthJoJo
More than most shows I can think of, How I Met Your Mother suffered from its success. Beyond any individually bad decisions like the mind-numbingly terrible series finale or how awful Barney is post #MeToo or the usual afflictions visited upon a series that goes too long, the gimmick of Ted telling these stories to his children turns from charming to creepy as it devolves into a list of all the women he had sex with and how miserable the friends often were to one another. It could have worked for a few years, as warnings to the children, but by the seventh or eighth season, it’s psychopathic.

It’s too bad. For a while, How I Met Your Mother was the clear successor to the Friends throne of 20-somethings doing their thing due to the structure and editing of many of the jokes and ringer cast.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2021 14:30 by DarthJoJo.

More
01 May 2021 09:35 #322772 by Shellhead
Watched the final episode of what is unfortunately probably just the first season of Invincible. It was ultra-violent, vile, stupid, and ugly. I don't consider it to be a valid form of entertainment, for featuring a scene where a devoted father literally smashes the teeth out of his teenage son's mouth in the midst of a brutal battle. Even when that abruptly leads to a touching flashback of said father cheering this same son in a little league game when the son is young enough to still be concerned about the tooth fairy.

We finally get the truth about Omni-Man, and it honestly isn't good enough. He has a childish lack of morality that could almost be based on an idiotic distortion of Nietzche's writing. This series is ultimately ruined by Kirkman's lazy writing. He could have built up to this moment with more subtlety and made a stronger and more interesting argument by having Omni-Man talk about our own historic atrocities. But instead, we get a revolting horror show of dismembered civilians and oceans of blood. If I ever see anybody let young children watch this show, I will be calling CPS.

I like comic books and cartoons as a medium. I like action, horror, heroics, science-fiction... and I have a dark sense of humor. Invincible should be right up my alley, and yet it most definitely is not. I can't recommend it to anybody, except maybe someone who likes snuff flicks, or at least Ichi the Killer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Erik Twice, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
01 May 2021 23:50 #322778 by Jackwraith
The Handmaid's Tale has finally returned (from COVID delay.) We've only watched the first two episodes of season 4 (four have been released so far) and were a bit caught out.

Warning: Spoiler!

I'm still enjoying the series, although I'm becoming kind of leery/weary of the messiah complex being assigned to June. I like that we have a strong, female character being the leader, but the outright deference being shown to her every impulse and decision is kind or breaking the suspension of disbelief in a few moments.

More
02 May 2021 00:16 #322779 by jason10mm
Yeah, that last ep of Invincible might have been the end for me. I guess blood red is the cheapest color to animate maybe? I feel for the poor animators that had to draw that stuff, though I guess I've seen worse.

The galactic aspect of the show is really weird. On the one hand Earth seems totally oblivious to the Vultrimite nature but on the other hand rando bad guys can call up Battle Cat.

Omni-man needs to work on his sales pitch. Earth seems to be swarming with near peer powered folk to a Vultrimite unless Omni-man was really just pulling his punches the whole time. I can't see us being a total push-over at times but then there are moments when we are so weak Earth doesn't even seem worth the effort to conquor.

More
02 May 2021 08:21 #322782 by Cranberries

DarthJoJo wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Everyone I know raves about it, but I just never felt any actual heart in Community. It was all basically just over the top cartoon characters to me, but lots of people I know say it has genuine character moments and such.

I don’t know if I’d say Community had heart. It definitely wasn’t a Parks and Recreation where the characters made each other better. Honestly, if Dan Harmon wasn’t misanthropic, he was at least cynical. What heartfelt moments there were, though, Donald Glover was there for them.

It’s greatest strength was its flexibility. You never knew what you were going to get with Community, be it a school dance or My Dinner With Andre homage or fake clip show or paintball, and it sold them. It was triumphantly weird. The closest thing I know to be a live-action Simpsons.

I think I'd say to watch the first three seasons and call ita day (or a week?). If you go past those, just pick out the highest rated episodes via IMDB. I ended up watching the entire fourth season, thinking the fifth was the non-Harmon, but am only watching a handful of episodes from the fifth. Mediocre Community is still better than a lot of shows, but as many bitter fans have pointed out, it gets less character-driven over time.

More
04 May 2021 12:46 #322849 by A Lad Insane
Y'all are a bunch of pussies. It's cartoon blood, people. Sweet Christmas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
05 May 2021 00:11 #322872 by RobertB

A Lad Insane wrote: Y'all are a bunch of pussies. It's cartoon blood, people. Sweet Christmas.

I believe the proper way to state that is, "Y'all need to grow a pair."

I laughed. :)

More
05 May 2021 22:46 #322906 by DarthJoJo
Finished The Falcon and the Winter Solider. Kind of underwhelmed. I think it comes down to two things. One, the characters were spread too thin. Sam was clearly the lead, but it wasn't his show in the same way WandaVision was Wanda's. Plenty of screentime that ultimately felt wasted was spent on Barnes and Walker's stories. I know they were going for a buddy cop vibe with Sam and Barnes, but he was so inessential to the plot that the show might have been stronger without him. They could have dropped the PTSD and amends storyline completely, and instead really focused in on the story of living up to the legacy of Captain America that Sam and Walker shared. I guess I did like that they remembered Sam worked in the VA with vets and strengthened his compassion as a character trait alongside cool and charming. There's that.

Two, the race theme. If you're going to do it, do it. If you're going to include a standoff with the cops and a storyline reminiscent of the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, earn it. Don't shrug it off with Sam telling a senator to "Do better." The scene with the black super soldier really annoyed me. I loved the actor's voice and presence, but he goes off on how there could never be a black Captain America while Sam soldiers on. It felt so self congratulatory. You could see the Disney crew standing behind him nodding gravely, thinking "They said it couldn't be done, but we did it. We made Captain America black. We are brave."

It's probably asking too much for Disney and Marvel to say anything substantial on race. Even if they tried, the speed of current events would probably make it look dated by the series premier, but then all this talk on race became just so much window dressing, of no greater importance than the new uniforms.

I didn't hate watching it, but I am glad WandaVision came first and got me excited for this experiment in expanding the universe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Gregarius

More
06 May 2021 11:09 #322910 by Rliyen
Finished watching Vincenzo on Sunday. Essentially, it's a Korean national adopted by an Italian couple, who eventually becomes a ruthless consigliere for an Italian Mafia. He's forced to return to Korea because of a falling out with the new head of the family, but he's got a backup plan... A secret, booby trapped safe filled with gold of a Chinese gangster who recently died, which is located in a building run by one of his associates.

He needs to get the gold out, but complications ensue. It's almost Shakespearean in a way, lots of violence, drama, and a dash of silly humor to keep things light. But, man... When you get on his bad side, you usually don't walk away from the encounter alive.

I highly recommend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, DarthJoJo

More
11 May 2021 14:06 - 11 May 2021 14:08 #323048 by Disgustipater
My wife (and I, sort of) have been watching Mare of Easttown and I never really noticed the Pennsylvania accents, until I watched the SNL parody the other day and now it is all I can hear.

No real comments about the show; I’m not too interested in detective shows despite (probably because of) my wife watching all of them.
Last edit: 11 May 2021 14:08 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
11 May 2021 14:29 #323049 by hotseatgames
I've been watching Mare of Easttown. I am enjoying it almost solely because of Kate Winslet. It comes off as an attempt at a BBC-style detective show, but of course not as good, since British cop shows are almost always better than American ones. It also has hints of The Killing, but again, not as good.

The performances in Mare are all very good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
11 May 2021 14:34 #323050 by charlest
No chance to be as good as The Killing without Holder.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds