October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
11 May 2021 15:46 #323052 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
We've wrapped up all the GRET BRITISH BAKING SHOWs as family time. They are great and the most recent champ copped to getting into baking because of previous GBBO seasons, so now it's officially self-fulfilling. Matt Lucas is a huge upgrade, and Paul Hollywood is a tremendous asshole. Enjoy.

I've been enjoying CHEF'S TABLE: BBQ lately as well. Amazing people absolutely busting their asses to make barbecue, which is probably the USA's grandest culinary tradition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2021 22:57 #323063 by dysjunct
JUPITER’S LEGACY. Superhero family drama, which is pretty rote at this point, but they add in a fun pulp angle, parallel story in the 20s/30s that I’m a sucker for. Very reminiscent of the setting of SPIRIT OF THE CENTURY. Only downside is that it’s pretty slow due to all the jumps between various storylines. But the scenery is gorgeous, characters are good, story is fun.

More
11 May 2021 23:36 #323064 by jason10mm
Watching it right now as well. Juuuust enough hook, especially the last 2 minutes of each ep, like a lot of shows these days (is that a well documented writing/editing trick?). Fortunately it is not YA like I thought, much more like The Boys minus most of the OMG moments. Still, I'm about done with daddy issues being a prime character trait leading to near obsessive compulsive behavior.

The effects budget is a little dodgy but they got some good actors in there. Poor Leslie Bibb plays a teenager in half of her stuff and now is an octogenarian or whatever :P

More
12 May 2021 12:30 #323069 by Gregarius

jeb wrote: We've wrapped up all the GRET BRITISH BAKING SHOWs as family time. They are great and the most recent champ copped to getting into baking because of previous GBBO seasons, so now it's officially self-fulfilling. Matt Lucas is a huge upgrade, and Paul Hollywood is a tremendous asshole. Enjoy.

I don't know if you go in for GBBS for the baking or the exceedingly charming good nature of the contestants, but I've found the Great Pottery Throwdown to be a good substitute. It's got the same niceness and camaraderie, but here they're making pottery. The host/judge couldn't be more opposite of Paul Hollywood in temperament. He literally cries when he sees great work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 May 2021 16:36 #323074 by RobertB
I think GBBS contestants are so cheerful because they're all amateurs. Their professional rep isn't at stake. You see the same thing when Chopped gets grannies, lunch ladies, or firemen on there. Everyone's just glad to be there, and nobody is out for blood.

More
12 May 2021 16:37 #323076 by charlest
I think that's true, but if you tried to do that in the U.S. it wouldn't fly. I can't imagine a reality show where the winner receives absolutely no cash reward. It's sort of against our cultural spirit of competition.

More
12 May 2021 18:22 #323079 by dysjunct

jason10mm wrote: Watching it right now as well. Juuuust enough hook, especially the last 2 minutes of each ep, like a lot of shows these days (is that a well documented writing/editing trick?). Fortunately it is not YA like I thought, much more like The Boys minus most of the OMG moments. Still, I'm about done with daddy issues being a prime character trait leading to near obsessive compulsive behavior.

The effects budget is a little dodgy but they got some good actors in there. Poor Leslie Bibb plays a teenager in half of her stuff and now is an octogenarian or whatever :P

The comparison to THE BOYS crossed my mind as well -- while I prefer their take on "modern deconstruction of superheroes," sometimes the performative edginess gets a little "oh come on." JL is pretty solid mid-tier as far as superheroic TV shows goes. I'd put it on par with the better seasons of Flash or Arrow. Entertaining; hope they continue it but apparently the reviewers are panning it so it might not get another season.

More
12 May 2021 20:45 - 12 May 2021 21:10 #323080 by ChristopherMD
Mid-tier seems the best description for Jupiter's Legacy. The stuff from the 30's with the adults is cool. The modern stuff is like a different show. None of the kids are even mildly interesting and I'm pretty sure I've seen Chloe's exact character in at least one other Supers show. I'd probably watch another season but I feel like the origin story was already the best part.

Edit: I never watched the second season of The Boys so I guess I didn't like it very much.
Last edit: 12 May 2021 21:10 by ChristopherMD.

More
12 May 2021 21:20 #323081 by DarthJoJo
Decided to explore Apple TV outside Ted Lasso and found Mythic Quest. It’s better than the first episode made it out to be as a rerun Office but in an MMORPG studio rather than a paper distributor. The Nazi episode was a highlight, and I’m glad to see them experimenting immediately with different character pairings. Always happy to see Danny Pudi working and referencing his mixed heritage, and the actress playing Poppy does some solid mugging. The only off part is how disconnected Ashley Burch and her fellow tester feel from everything else.

So it’s above average and worth a look once you’re done with Ted Lasso. Have to do something with that remaining year of Apple TV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
12 May 2021 22:28 #323084 by jason10mm
For all mankind is a must watch on apple. That mamoa show See was kinda interesting, that guy plays the same character in every show but every show is radically different. I only had access for a month and that was as far as i got. If FAM s2 is out I'll probably sub for another month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
12 May 2021 22:46 #323086 by jason10mm
I just realized why the time jumps in Jupiters legacy are so easy to follow. They change the aspect ratio for each period (and lean into the color grading). A LOT of shows could learn from this because as this style of show editing becomes basically mainstream it can be very hard to follow. Sisyphus was a disaster because of it (for me).
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Sagrilarus, sornars

More
13 May 2021 08:56 - 13 May 2021 08:58 #323090 by Sagrilarus

jason10mm wrote: I just realized why the time jumps in Jupiters legacy are so easy to follow. They change the aspect ratio for each period (and lean into the color grading). A LOT of shows could learn from this because as this style of show editing becomes basically mainstream it can be very hard to follow. Sisyphus was a disaster because of it (for me).

The equivalent of this has been standard operating procedure on computer screens for a couple of decades, where different fields, even different screens have a different color background or text depending on what you can do with them. I project I did ten years back had read-only screens that were just the slightest shade creamier than the data entry screens and end-users subconsciously picked it out by day four of production go-live.

Shows I've seen in the past use black and white for flashbacks, but conceptually this can be done across a broader spectrum of tells. Often flashbacks with feature music from the era to announce where you are (when you are I guess) which is also useful.
Last edit: 13 May 2021 08:58 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
13 May 2021 09:15 - 13 May 2021 09:16 #323092 by charlest
Switching aspect ratios mid-show/mid-movie is not a new thing.

Legion switched to Cinemascope when it was a different time period than the main timeline.

Black Mirror's Trek episode used 4:3 in the prologue and 16:9 for the rest of the episode

Westworld (series) went form 16:9 to 2:35:1 for multiple scenes, showing that they're taking place in virtual reality.

Homecoming did this with different time periods.

Wandavision changed aspect ratios when moving between the augmented reality and the real world.

But changing the color grading like that is a new and fantastic idea.
Last edit: 13 May 2021 09:16 by charlest.

More
13 May 2021 10:58 #323095 by dysjunct
Finished JL last night. Despite all the jumps, the plotting was easy to follow; really a master class in how to do it. Not just the colors and aspect ratios, but music and writing too. Each scene would build up, end on a minor cliffhanger, and then everything would change when the next section started.

Despite that, I’ll stick with my “solid mid-tier” assessment. I will watch season 2 if they make it, and be disappointed if they don’t (especially given the twist in the last episode), but I don’t feel compelled to rewatch season 1.

I would be all over a pulp superhero show set entirely in the 20s and 30s. Just jettison the modern-day stuff and give me globe-trotting, jazz, Lucky Strikes, speakeasies, and maybe a little Nazi-punching.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
13 May 2021 18:46 #323114 by jason10mm
That's Larry Correias Hard Magic to a T! Pulp noir superheroes with some steam punk and kaiju for good measure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.929 seconds