October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
17 May 2021 11:05 #323204 by Gregarius

charlest wrote: The Outsider was also good but I thought it kind of petered out over time. It started off very strong though.

I definitely agree, but I still think it's worth it. I really appreciated that they had to fight to convince the characters to believe the supernatural element. Most shows of this ilk, everyone would just accept it and move on. I think with any mystery, the more you know about it the less it intrigues. That's why most shows try to save the "revelations" until the very end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2021 18:04 #323236 by Erik Twice
We watched the first episode of Invincible. It was dull and long, taking almost 40 minutes to premise and our simple main character. The rest was taken by "unexpected" ultraviolence of the pressing heads until they burst kind. Didn't see anything interesting in it.

The animation is awful, too. You know that Berserk walking gif where they move a character up and down to simulate walking ? It's like that, but all the time. It's like watching cut-outs with some mouth flapping and generic character designs. There's even a moment in which a character walks out, another "runs" after them and they repeat the animation. Everyone looks like a robot.

I haven't watched the second season of One Punch Man because I'm told the animation quality took a nose-dive. So yeah.

More
27 May 2021 09:55 #323491 by Sagrilarus
As I suspected, turning off our Disney subscription has resulted in no questions from anyone in the house. When I ask if anyone is watching it I get resounding Yeses from more than one person, but it no longer working since May 6th has not come to anyone's attention.

This is the nature of such things, and at the end of July the credit card I use for most of these services will expire. My intention is to not update the accounts for any of the services until someone squawks.

As it stands I'm paying for four, Acorn, Britbox, Netflix, and Hulu. I'd wager Netflix doesn't rouse much attention. The other three probably will. A huge step down from our prior $150 Verizon Fios bill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars, mtagge, Nodens

More
12 Jun 2021 14:21 #323933 by ChristopherMD
Superman and Lois - Had low expectations for yet another CW superhero show. This feels nothing like the Arrow-verse stuff though even if the same actor plays Superman that played him in the Supergirl show. The premise here is Clark and Lois are married with teenage boys and they move to Smallville to work the farm after Clark's mom dies. I've watched the first 4 episodes and it's been good. I'm actually interested in where they take the characters and what the villains plans will be. Compared to something like Jupiters Legacy where I disliked all the kids and thought the adults plots were uninteresting beyond the island stuff.

More
12 Jun 2021 22:56 #323942 by jason10mm
My favorite part is that the superman actor is like 33 years old but Lois is 40 and the always stunning Emmanuelle is 45 or so. This should be heralded :p

I started Sweet Tooth on netflux. Only a few eps in but it is....different. very comic booky. As a dad it hits hard but I think I'd have made other choices. I'm sure it will coalesce at some point but right now it is another example of tossing the viewer into the deep end.

More
15 Jun 2021 16:19 #323996 by the_jake_1973
We have been watching Sweet Tooth as well and have been enjoying it. The handling of the ALF type force seemed appropriate.

We started watching See in Apple TV. Another Momoa vehicle where he gets to be in the dirt. I think he loves those roles. The world population goes blind post virus pandemic and vision is now spoken of as heresy. A very diverse cast which is great to see. The combat practice is interesting, but I think you do have to suspend some disbelief.

My wife got me interested in this Pottery contest show from the UK. Wow. Throwing clay is like magic to me. I still can't my mind around painting the glazes when you don't know exactly the color it will turn out as after firing. I am entranced by the show.

More
15 Jun 2021 17:01 #323999 by hotseatgames
I've been watching Money Heist on Netflix. It's a Spanish heist drama with the original title of House of Paper, which is a much better name.

I would not be surprised if you had skipped over the thumbnail due to the stupid name, but you would be missing out. It's really wild, and great fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
15 Jun 2021 21:35 #324002 by Shellhead
In June of 1963 DC launched a comic book about a team of metahuman freaks led by a brilliant scientist in a wheelchair. Sounds like the X-Men, but that was a Marvel comic that started three months later. DC's comic featured a team known as the Doom Patrol. As a little kid, I happened to randomly buy an issue, and was delighted by an awesomely weird villain known as Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man.

Many years later I returned to a subsequent incarnation of the Doom Patrol, which soon became an even weirder comic due to the wildly creative writing of Grant Morrison. The Doom Patrol always faced weird villains and weirder situations, but this escalated almost beyond the outer limits of imagination during the Morrison run. I always assumed that most mainstream comics would eventually get adapted into tv or movies, but Doom Patrol seemed hopelessly bizarre, likely to languish in obscurity forever.

I was wrong. There is a Doom Patrol tv show, and it's pretty good. The stories bear little resemblance to those in the comics, but the writers have done an amazing job of fully adapting the characters and rounding them out with considerable characterization. The weirdness remains fully intact, but instead of relying on shouty exposition, here the pace slows to let the strangeness simmer. Although the protagonists have superhuman powers, they also have superhuman handicaps. Sometimes they save the day, and sometimes they just make the superhuman effort to cope with their problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., jason10mm

More
15 Jun 2021 23:43 #324005 by jason10mm
I liked Doom Patrol quite a bit. I gotta think Brendan Fraser has gotta be PISSED that he has such a clunky body when James Bond is beasties with the guy who can make Cyborg :p

A buddy of mine had the chance to play the invisible man (or maybe robot guy, I forget) but turned it down because he didn't want to stump around in Atlanta heat all day and not even be seen on screen.

I think he was a fool , this show has the second best James Bond in it!!!

More
15 Jun 2021 23:44 #324006 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote: I've been watching Money Heist on Netflix. It's a Spanish heist drama with the original title of House of Paper, which is a much better name.

I would not be surprised if you had skipped over the thumbnail due to the stupid name, but you would be missing out. It's really wild, and great fun.

I watched five or six episodes and lost interest. How far along are you?

More
16 Jun 2021 08:06 #324009 by DavidNorris

Erik Twice wrote: We watched the first episode of Invincible. It was dull and long, taking almost 40 minutes to premise and our simple main character. The rest was taken by "unexpected" ultraviolence of the pressing heads until they burst kind. Didn't see anything interesting in it.

I thought the first episode was super interesting, it riffs a lot on the DC Superheroes which I'm a big fan of. After that I stayed for the cast, and the soundtrack. By the end of the season the rest of the characters were fleshed out, and it leaves on a cliff hanger so I'm keen to see what they do in Season 2.

More
16 Jun 2021 08:49 #324010 by hotseatgames

Sagrilarus wrote: I watched five or six episodes and lost interest. How far along are you?

I just started season 4. It can get pretty granular. I was surprised how much script they got out of that heist. It goes places I don't think you would anticipate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
16 Jun 2021 12:04 #324018 by mezike
Just finished season 6 of Inside no.9 which continues to be brilliant. The series opener was a quite self-indulgent blend of commedia dell'arte and Reservoir Dogs, to the extent even of a fourth-wall breaking knowing wink to the audience, but I think they've earned the right to enjoy themselves. That one fell a bit flat for me but the rest of them were all excellent, in particular the navel-gazing finale that tears into the political and emotional state of modern day Britain. My favourite from this season though was "Lip Service" wherein a hotel assignation repeatedly changes tone into something quite unexpected and which has all the twisted and multi-layered hallmarks you would expect from the show. This continues to be right up there with Black Mirror for me as peak modern-day TV.

Significantly less enjoyable is season 3 of Kominsky Method which we bailed on pretty quickly. The first two seasons were a delight, smart and witty and poignant, but the new one collapses almost immediately into cheap farce and ridiculous out-of-character dailogue. It likely feels more awful than it is because of the sharp tonal change of the show and 100% less Alan Arkin.

Dredged from the BBC archives and posted up on Netflix UK is the one-off single series of Top Coppers which you would be forgiven for skipping straight past because of the stupid joke title that it is about two red-headed police detectives - geddit? - but that would be a mistake as it's a surreal and funny show that is very close in tone to Danger 5 and I'd certainly recommend fans of the latter to give this one a try. My only caveat is the second episode is a weak jumble of hackneyed Star Trek/Shatner tropes and tiresome as a result, the rest of it is pretty good though.

Another show with a stupid title that is a good watch is Swedish Dicks wherein a grizzled ex-stuntman turned private detective gets wrapped up with an unwanted new partner who is as relentlessly cheery and optimistic as he is inept. I gave it a go not expecting much but it's turned out so far to be very engaging and funny (I'm up to the season one finale). Also features sudden and unexpected Keanu Reeves and subtitled Swedish jokes which may or may not represent further inducement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
16 Jun 2021 22:34 #324035 by ChristopherMD
Loki - So far it's been great. Skipped the trailers so didn't know what to expect from this show but I definitely wasn't expecting time cops and massive bureaucracies. The gag where he always thinks he's a badass before getting beat somehow never stops being funny. I couldn't even tell that was Owen Wilson as Mobius. Just kept thinking he looked familiar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, birdman37, sornars, Gregarius

More
17 Jun 2021 10:15 #324044 by Gregarius
Yeah, I'm loving everything about Loki right now. I'm crossing my fingers that it can maintain this level for the whole run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.825 seconds