October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
10 Jul 2021 23:29 #324587 by Gary Sax
I started watching Lovecraft Country, it's pretty good so far. I know you talked a lot about it upthread so I'm probably repeating somebody, but a disconnect I have is that I have a weird internal expectation I have to reset whenever I watch an HBO. Like it's going to be Great Serious TV. Episode 1 was good fun but wasn't trying to be that so it took a second.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2021 08:34 #324592 by Shellhead
Since getting back to HBO last month, I have been thinking about Lovecraft Country lately. It was a visually impressive show and had amazing timing with the racial issues. But the writing was sloppy and the characters seemed spastic and irrational at times. Some of the music was perfect and some of it was jarringly wrong, like all the rock music in A Knight's Tale.

So I watched most of the show but just stopped with maybe two episodes left. I never consciously decided that I didn't want to watch Lovecraft Country anymore, I just happened to find other compelling shows to watch for a while. I heard recently that Lovecraft Country didn't get picked up for a second season, so it seems that I wasn't the only one who had issues with the show. But knowing that it is a now a finished show, I feel like re-watching the whole thing.

More
11 Jul 2021 10:53 #324597 by Gary Sax
See, I think A Knight's Tale is almost a perfect movie. A camp Hollywood masterpiece.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, jason10mm, Nodens

More
11 Jul 2021 11:15 - 11 Jul 2021 22:09 #324598 by jason10mm
Knights Tale is certainly a good template for how to have an ahistorical "period" film and then add a bunch of modern elements. Kinda like Hamilton. If they were using opera or whatever folks listened to in the 1700/1800's instead of rap I think the casting choices would be more jarring.

Now I'm ready for a hair metal version of the crusades :P

Last edit: 11 Jul 2021 22:09 by jason10mm. Reason: Crossed the streams
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
12 Jul 2021 13:26 #324620 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
LOKI is a good time. If you're an MCU person, this is good entertainment--probably the best Marvel show since DAREDEVIL S1. I like it more than WANDAVISION and I liked that just fine.

TED LASSO S2 lands soon and I am ready. S1 was so good, my God. Get on this.

THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY is ok. Child actors struggling with stilted dialog though, yikes. My kids don't like it because it varies from the source material and a recent episode had basically nothing happen. But I could watch a spin-off of Constance being pissed at everything and have a good time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens

More
12 Jul 2021 15:23 #324626 by Gary Sax
We just went through Ted Lasso S1 again to prep for the new season!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
18 Jul 2021 22:00 #324782 by DarthJoJo
Well, my wife absolutely hated the finale of Loki.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Jul 2021 22:11 #324784 by jason10mm
Thats too bad. The boy and i just watched Avengers again for the upteenth time and not only is it a FANTASTIC comic book film but loki is so good in it.

More
18 Jul 2021 22:48 #324785 by Disgustipater
I was 'meh' on Loki. They made Loki super weak compared to his previous incarnations. Like getting his ass kicked by some regular dude, not really using any powers, etc.

More
18 Jul 2021 23:42 #324786 by Jackwraith
Finally got around to watching Succession. Season 1 was brilliant. It's not often you come across a show where there's not a single character who isn't an asshole but the show is still highly entertaining, because they're all completely different kinds of asshole. Hope they were able to carry it into season 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames

More
19 Jul 2021 16:33 #324797 by Shellhead
When I first heard about Rick & Morty, I dismissed it based on the quality of the acquaintances who liked it, as they tended to be sociopaths and libertarians. But I have been watching season one lately on HBO Max, and enjoying it as sort of a Simpsons for sociopaths. Like the Simpsons, there is some dark and violent humor (think Itchy & Scratchy) paired up with some decent and humane stories about people with relatable problems, like a struggling marriage, or adolescent anxiety. The proceedings are considerably livened by wild creativity, dimension-hopping, and a bold embrace of transgressive themes. There is even a certain amount of continuity developed at the season goes on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars

More
19 Jul 2021 16:52 #324798 by Gary Sax
Definitely one of those shows that is actually decent but its fandom is hugely offputting and repellant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, Ancient_of_MuMu, hotseatgames, sornars, Gregarius

More
19 Jul 2021 17:43 #324800 by hotseatgames
That describes it perfectly. I was shocked when I actually watched it and found it to be hilarious.

More
19 Jul 2021 18:49 #324801 by Disgustipater
When the show itself, on several occasions, has had to tell the viewers that RICK IS NOT A ROLE MODEL, it’s a pretty good indication that the fandom is bad.

More
19 Jul 2021 20:11 #324802 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Loki in the end was frustrating. It left multiple plot threads hanging, seemed to lack a lot of consistency and had a weird 3rd episode that basically went nowhere and did nothing. But the 5th and 6th episodes were really great with two inspired casting choices who stole the show.

It never rose to the greatness of Wandavision but was definitely above the turgid Falcon and Winter Soldier. It felt too much like it was written by a committee, lacking a coherent focus and storyline.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.861 seconds