October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
21 Jul 2021 12:22 #324819 by Nodens

Gary Sax wrote: We just went through Ted Lasso S1 again to prep for the new season!

Same here. So good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2021 14:25 #324820 by KingPut
2 days until Ted Lassoooooooooooooooool!

More
23 Jul 2021 05:18 #324841 by Nodens
Still in production but scheduled to arrive this year, Neil Gaiman is producing the Sandman for television. Nothing but a teaser at this point, but this might be fun.
m.imdb.com/title/tt1751634/
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
23 Jul 2021 10:54 #324847 by mezike
And also in production is a second series of Good Omens written by Gaiman using a plot sketched out by Pratchett that didn’t make it into print due to the two being unable to find the time to collaborate on the manuscript. Kind of bittersweet as I think I’d much prefer to have the book version from an alternate dimension where they did get around to writing it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars, Nodens

More
24 Jul 2021 14:11 #324903 by DarthJoJo
I laughed out loud three times at Ted Lasso last night. It’s still great. The characters still feel like themselves. I’m glad Danny Rojas finally got a real storyline and screen time. My only concern is that Rebecca and Roy Kent’s storylines feel vestigial, but the showrunners did nothing in the first season to earn anything less than my complete faith that they know what they’re doing.

Anyway, what I really want to talk about is some of the chatter I’ve heard around the show in the lead up to the second season. It feels like they’re treating it like comfort food, look at the nice guy be kind to everyone and make them better and happier. I guess that works as a very surface reading, but it sells the series short, treats Ted like a contemporary Pollyanna. Het’s not. The series admits the world is hard, and Ted is a flawed person with real struggles, but he and everyone else can be more than those things rather than grubbing and wallowing in them. It’s a corrective to the bleakness of Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire that has ruled the television conversation for decades. Ted is the modern incarnation of Vanity Fair’s Dobbin, the character who is good and kind without being weak, naive or gullible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Nodens

More
24 Jul 2021 17:10 #324907 by Gary Sax
I didn't love the first episode but it has earned leeway with me.

More
24 Jul 2021 18:24 #324909 by Sagrilarus
Three of my four kids are in front of the TV watching Teletubbies. They’re 24, 18, and 18.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Kmann

More
24 Jul 2021 19:35 #324912 by Gary Sax
Is weed legal there?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Kmann

More
24 Jul 2021 19:45 #324913 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Is weed legal there?

With a prescription.

Boo Bahs came on next, and acid is still illegal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jay718, Ancient_of_MuMu

More
30 Jul 2021 11:29 - 30 Jul 2021 11:40 #325065 by ChristopherMD
Atlantic Crossing - Really good 7-episode drama series centered around the relationship between US President Franklin Roosevelt (Kyle Maclachlan) and Princess Martha of Norway. Mostly a Norwegian production so you see WWII almost entirely from their perspective. The series starts with the Germans invading neutral Norway and ends after the German surrender.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 11:40 by ChristopherMD.

More
02 Aug 2021 10:08 - 02 Aug 2021 10:14 #325119 by RobertB
Do the Olympics count? It's stolen all my TV watching time. NBC's broadcast network still sucks at Olympic coverage, but they're never going to change. Peacock is a waste of money although it might be useful after the games end. Occasionally NBC is worth watching, though. Bobby Finke's 1500m win was good. The Italian and the Qatari sharing high jump gold put a smile on my face.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2021 10:14 by RobertB.

More
03 Aug 2021 00:06 #325162 by DarthJoJo
Netflix’s Queen Sono is the most generic thing I have seen in years. The only thing remarkable about it is the absolute lack of original ideas within it. It’s a spy show. You can probably guess most of the limp vegetables that went into this hot water of a soup. A lead with a troubled past who plays by her own rules. An investigation into a murder that implicates her own government. Old friends from whom she must hide her work. Tangled allegiances and misplaced loyalties. Enemies in a private security company and revolutionary militia. Magic glasses with instant facial recognition technology. A final race against the clock when a massive public event is threatened by a terrorist bombing. Absolutely nothing you haven’t seen before except this time it’s set in South Africa. There are even jokes about a vegan cleanse and fake woke friend. Am I positive I didn’t turn on any given night of CBS?

IMDB claims Sono is Netflix’s first fully African-produced series. It seems more likely that the Netflix algorithm farted out the scripts after watching all the other spy shows on the platform and running a few lines through Google translate. What a waste of time and energy.

It’s not bad. Production design is pretty nice. Every main and secondary character has their own storyline. It doesn’t drag across six episodes, even if they ultimately feel like an overloaded sizzle reel for the real show as nothing is really resolved. It’s just entirely uninteresting.

More
03 Aug 2021 16:20 #325184 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: Three of my four kids are in front of the TV watching Teletubbies. They’re 24, 18, and 18.

I love me some Tubbies. Watched them before the Spawn was born. Having her just gave me an excuse to watch them twice a day. Was sad when she outgrew them. Maybe she is now old enough to start watching them with me again.

More
03 Aug 2021 18:26 - 03 Aug 2021 18:27 #325186 by jason10mm
Out of desperation for something to watch the wife and I fired up Jean Claude Van Johnson that old (by streaming standards) show with JCVD as a spy masquerading as an actor. I remember the pilot from way back when Amazon was posting them and letting the audience vote, I guess this one got picked.

Anyway, it's actually pretty funny, JCVD is always down for mocking himself (the fantastic JCVD attests to that) and this is no exception.

Only a few eps in but it is really fun. Not even sure if it got a second season. Might have to do The Tick after this
Last edit: 03 Aug 2021 18:27 by jason10mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, DarthJoJo

More
04 Aug 2021 01:33 #325189 by Disgustipater
The White Lotus is a weird show. I like it, but it’s strange. It follows several dysfunctional couples/families that arrive at the titular hotel in Hawaii at the same time and gradually start interacting with each other. It is basically a slow descent into a type of madness, where they are emotionally falling apart. It’s very intriguing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.602 seconds