October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
17 Aug 2021 18:52 - 17 Aug 2021 18:52 #325723 by Varys
Re: White Lotus: I was disappointed too.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 18:52 by Varys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2021 12:14 #325869 by Msample
I am mostly through with JEREMY CLARKSONS FARM on Amazon Prine and its pretty good. For once you see the usually bombastic Clarkson clearly out of his element most of the time and while there is the predictable bitching when stuff goes wrong, there is also a clear understanding on his part of how hard farming is as well as appreciated for the fruits of his labors. Of course he disdains the small used tractors he could have bought and instead buys a huge Lamborghini model instead .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
20 Aug 2021 14:36 #325876 by DarthJoJo
Finished the second season of Mythic Quest. I enjoyed it. The storytelling was a little weak as characters felt siloed in their own stories with minimal crossover, but the characters and performances are well defined and strong enough to carry the series.

Can’t imagine there being a third season without a huge cast reset, but I’m glad I got to hang out in this world. It got me through between Ted Lasso releases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater, Varys

More
20 Aug 2021 15:25 #325877 by Shellhead
Titans season 3 is actually decent so far, though with a surprising focus on Gotham City. The whole team relocates there after dramatic events involving Batman, Robin II, and the Joker. The team is actually using teamwork now instead of spending most of their time snarking at each other and heedlessly rushing into danger alone. New cast member Savannah Welch plays a very interesting Commissioner Barbara Gordon, reinforcing that this show takes place in a later timeframe than most DC stories taking place in Gotham City. Welch is not conventionally pretty, but has an interesting face that is great at conveying a variety of negative emotions. Welch was in a terrible car accident in 2016 that resulted in the complete amputation of one of her legs, so her selection to play Gordon implies that some version of the infamous Killing Joke story took place in this timeline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
20 Aug 2021 18:04 #325886 by jason10mm
There is a big splash page of all the Titans S3 characters every time I open HBO max and I have been amusing myself trying to figure out who they are given the deviations from traditional comic looks.

Is this show doing any cross overs or even nod/winks at other CW shows?

More
21 Aug 2021 23:14 #325915 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I totally don't understand people not liking The White Lotus. I guess I can understand people not being into shows where the majority of characters are contemptible in some fashion, like Succession. But White Lotus is hysterically funny, first off and, even better, has fully-realized characters. They have actual texture and react in very human (and, yes, quite contemptible) ways. Plus, there's more going on than just what happens in each scene. We don't learn about the subtle conflict between Paula and Olivia until we're three episodes in. That's telling a story about actual people as opposed to setting up character A, B, and C so that everyone has perfect information and just sits to get spoon-fed the story as said characters go through the motions. Plus, it's kind of perfect casting to have Jennifer Coolidge (Tanya) essentially doing an aged continuation of her character from Best in Show. We're still only on episode 4, but I think it's great. Does it rise to the level of an HBO best ever? No. But it's hugely entertaining.

More
21 Aug 2021 23:35 #325916 by charlest
Really digging Reservation Dogs. New FX show produced by Taika Waititi about four kids in a gang of sorts committing crime around their reservation housing projects. It's serious but doses of humor and style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, hotseatgames

More
22 Aug 2021 07:08 - 23 Aug 2021 13:49 #325918 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote: There is a big splash page of all the Titans S3 characters every time I open HBO max and I have been amusing myself trying to figure out who they are given the deviations from traditional comic looks.

Is this show doing any cross overs or even nod/winks at other CW shows?

Doom Patrol is a spin-off from Titans. There was a Doom Patrol episode in the first season of Titans, and they ended up using most of the same actors for the subsequent Doom Patrol series. Titans might be pulling together into an okay show in third season, but Doom Patrol was great from the start. Titans features a bunch of young superhumans somehow making their own lives epically awkward and bad. Doom Patrol features characters with extreme actual mental and physical problems. Sometimes the members of the Doom Patrol struggle heroically to save the day, and sometimes they struggle heroically just to get through the day.

Doom Patrol is easily one of the weirdest tv shows ever, but the pace is slowed to a point where viewers must face the weirdness instead of just letting it pass through them. Sometimes Doom Patrol is funny, sometimes sad, sometimes both at the same time. It all works because the characters are fully-realized people going through the weirdness. Even Alan Tudyk's bizarre meta-villain Mr. Nobody got a humanizing scene in an that I just watched.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2021 13:49 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
23 Aug 2021 13:39 #325954 by RobertB
Brand New Cherry Flavor - Definitely not for the squeamish. Body horror in spades. Not for the kids. Heck, maybe not for the grownups. It takes a while to get rolling, and the first couple of episodes was, "WTF am I watching?" But once it gets going it's pretty good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
23 Aug 2021 22:27 #325979 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Has season 2 of Ted Lasso improved? I watched the first couple of episodes and was underwhelmed and stopped watching. But then I did recall not being too impressed with the first couple of episodes of season 1 before being completely won over.

More
23 Aug 2021 22:30 #325980 by Gary Sax
It is better but still slightly disappointing imo. Worth watching at least, I also though the first two episodes were rough.

More
24 Aug 2021 01:51 #325982 by Nodens

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Has season 2 of Ted Lasso improved?

I felt by the 3rd episode it was at least as good as the first season, but if you didn't like the start you probably won't start liking it now. The setup, characters and jokes haven't changed, the topics became a little more meaningful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
24 Aug 2021 08:59 #325985 by DarthJoJo
Depends on what you liked about the first season, I guess. If it was the characters and general tone of positivity, those are all still there and strong. If it was those things pushed against real conflicts and storylines that lasted more than one episode, less so.

Season two so far feels a lot like the last season of Parks and Rec: everyone gets what they want with no struggle. I still like the characters well enough, but what made it superior is lacking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ancient_of_MuMu

More
24 Aug 2021 12:30 #325994 by the_jake_1973
Watched the first epi of Brand New Cherry Flavor. Intrigued, but the 'origin story' was an expected one. There are cats, so I may have to save the rest of the viewing to watch with my wife.

More
24 Aug 2021 22:37 #326013 by Ancient_of_MuMu

DarthJoJo wrote: Depends on what you liked about the first season, I guess. If it was the characters and general tone of positivity, those are all still there and strong. If it was those things pushed against real conflicts and storylines that lasted more than one episode, less so.

Season two so far feels a lot like the last season of Parks and Rec: everyone gets what they want with no struggle. I still like the characters well enough, but what made it superior is lacking.

I liked the positivity and fun, with everyone becoming better people through knowing Ted, while still being real. Ted's marriage collapsing and the surprise of the finale were really good.

But then season 2 began and Roy Kent and Keely were still main characters who should have been written out and a new character was introduced to create the conflict missing after Ted and Rebecca worked things out. It all felt forced and missing the natural flow of the previous season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.884 seconds