October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
24 Oct 2021 00:53 #327369 by hotseatgames
I think you really start to like the characters of Squid Game, and you want to see how their stories unfold. That's the main motivation for watching.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2021 02:10 - 24 Oct 2021 02:20 #327370 by Disgustipater
I quite enjoyed Squid Game, though the story kind of faltered near the end.

I watched it in Korean with subtitles on, and randomly switched to the English dub at one point and laughed out loud at how weak and "nerdy" the guards sounded. The Korean soundtrack voices are deeper and menacing. For the English dub they put Todd from accounting in a guard suit.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2021 02:20 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jason10mm

More
24 Oct 2021 02:18 #327371 by RobertB
My daughter talked me into watching Squid Game, and told me, "Don't watch it dubbed, the dubbing sucks." So I wasn't even tempted.

More
24 Oct 2021 19:23 - 24 Oct 2021 19:24 #327396 by Gregarius
Yeah, I watched it subtitled. Although it took me a while to figure out how to switch it from CC to subtitles (it got really annoying seeing descriptions of sounds).

I sometimes wonder if things like this become super popular just because the vast majority of people aren't really into nerd culture. Sure, everyone in here has seen or heard of Battle Royale or The Most Dangerous Game, but for most of the public this might be their first exposure to the concept. In that regard, I thought it worked really well. It reminded me a lot of Stranger Things.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2021 19:24 by Gregarius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
24 Oct 2021 19:59 #327400 by jason10mm
I figure Hunger Games pretty much put arena battle games into the general consciousness, not to mention all the PUBG type vidja games now. I think Squid Games plays up the underdog theme that resonates really well with Americans, paired with really striking visuals and a level of violence they REALLY appeals to us :p

More
27 Oct 2021 12:09 #327497 by Rliyen
My recent watching habits are all over the place. Finished up Inside Job, which is Futurama with the (WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!) removed and conspiracy theories added in its place, down to the various characters. I highly enjoyed it and they even made an AKIRA reference!

Finished The Raincoat Killer: Chasing a Predator in Korea, a documentary about South Korean serial killer Yoo Yung-Chul and the police's missteps into capturing him. It was sheer luck that they caught him the second time after he escaped the police when he was arrested the first time. The show gives you an insight as to how law enforcement was/is handled in South Korea as opposed to the United States.

More
28 Oct 2021 09:07 #327503 by the_jake_1973
Watched the Schumacher documentary. He raced when I wasn't really watching F1. I missed that whole generation of drivers. Really well done.

Saw an Indian documentary on Netflix, House of Secrets, about a family of 11 that commits suicide. An interesting look at what caused the suicide based on the diaries left behind.

My wife and I have enjoyed the Riverdale reboot and the new season is no exception. It continues 7 years post graduation and the gang have come back to find a changed Riverdale. I make no apologies for enjoying this show. LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Oct 2021 11:45 #327504 by Shellhead
Three years ago, I was unemployed for several months. During that time, I checked out the first two seasons of Riverdale from the library. It was much better than expected, a CW teen type drama only with more action, more style, and a surprising amount of humor.

More
28 Oct 2021 19:43 - 28 Oct 2021 19:45 #327510 by Sagrilarus
North Korea is presenting excerpts of Squid Game as normal life in the south.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2021 19:45 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample

More
28 Oct 2021 20:37 #327515 by ChristopherMD
Locke & Key season two is a solid follow-up to season one. I never read the comics. I like that they tell the history of the keys in Revolutionary War flashbacks. I feel like the season answered more questions than it asked overall. I'm in for a season three.

More
28 Oct 2021 22:56 #327524 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: North Korea is presenting excerpts of Squid Game as normal life in the south.

While it’s starving citizens LARP the Hunger Ganes.

More
29 Oct 2021 06:13 - 29 Oct 2021 06:15 #327528 by mtagge

Sagrilarus wrote: North Korea is presenting excerpts of Squid Game as normal life in the south.

Rightly or wrongly I was reading articles years ago that portrayed S. Korea as an example of capitalism gone amok. I just did a quick search about healthcare in S. Korea for expats. The article said that healthcare was good. Wait times were horrible but the good news is you only have to pay 20%-50% of the treatment costs if you pay into the insurance. Yikes!!! Puts some context into the scene where the main character's mother walks away from diabetes treatments at the hospital.

S. Korea already has a reputation where parents push their kids into getting a wage slave job at an international corp or they are a failure. It falls in line with the portrayal in the show. I'd prefer to hear a first hand account of a resident to bust that myth if possible.

Edit: oh, the article said to expect to pay 30% of your gross salary to the national health program. And then you are out of pocket for 20%. Sounds like the US isn't the only modern country with screwed up healthcare.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2021 06:15 by mtagge.

More
29 Oct 2021 09:01 #327529 by jason10mm
Finally got around to That Brand New Cherry Flavor show on netflix. WOW, was that a ride! Not much to add other than how impressed I was with Rosa Salazar and how much emotion she can wring out of those slightly exophthalmic eyes of hers. She knows how to heighten the display just enough to make those long shots on the face with no dialogue work. I'm still mystified why Robert Rodriguez felt the need to CG over her for Alita. The ending seemed soft, guess they are hunting for a season 2? Or is the book a series?

More
29 Oct 2021 09:09 #327530 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: Locke & Key season two is a solid follow-up to season one. I never read the comics. I like that they tell the history of the keys in Revolutionary War flashbacks. I feel like the season answered more questions than it asked overall. I'm in for a season three.

I haven't been watching the show, but the comic was one of the best I've read in the 21st century.

More
29 Oct 2021 09:25 #327531 by charlest

jason10mm wrote: Finally got around to That Brand New Cherry Flavor show on netflix. WOW, was that a ride! Not much to add other than how impressed I was with Rosa Salazar and how much emotion she can wring out of those slightly exophthalmic eyes of hers. She knows how to heighten the display just enough to make those long shots on the face with no dialogue work. I'm still mystified why Robert Rodriguez felt the need to CG over her for Alita. The ending seemed soft, guess they are hunting for a season 2? Or is the book a series?

I believe the first season covers just a small portion of the book it's based on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.836 seconds