October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
10 Nov 2021 17:33 #327854 by Shellhead
Elric should get a movie. His adventures were often epic and deserve a big budget production. Gods, monsters, magic, other dimensions, and of course that sinister rune-encrusted black sword.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2021 19:16 #327859 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I don't want to see any more books or comics adapted. It works so rarely and I am tired of getting my hopes up to see them dashed.

Please give me new stories specifically written for the medium, not adaptations
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
11 Nov 2021 09:54 #327867 by Shellhead
Ideally it would be better to get new stories specifically developed for television and movies. But I hate it when these new stories sometimes pilfer ideas from old stories that haven't been translated into tv or movies yet, leaving the original writer without compensation or recognition for their work. For just one specific example, Tim Powers should have become a household name for his book On Stranger Tides. He did manage to get an out of court settlement with Disney that lead to it being developed as a forgettable sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean, so at least he got paid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
11 Nov 2021 22:09 #327892 by jason10mm
Buying an IP just for the name value and then slapping it on a totally different story is nothing new. I wonder how often that is the intent, versus script/production creep that takes a more authentic translation and twists it into an almost unrecognizable bastardization.

I don't mind the attempt. A popular, or at least well received, work, comic, or whatever demonstrates the strength of the story/concept and it brings an audience already. But what irks me is when they thrown the property to someone who just doesn't grok the critical elements of it and just bends it to fit their old screenplay about a kid with an angry daddy who just doesn't love them.

More
12 Nov 2021 13:26 #327911 by Kmann
I'd love to see a premium adaptation of Harry Turtledove's Darkness series. This is basically WW2-but-Fantasy. Instead of planes they fly big dumb angry dragons (as opposed to the typical wizened gold hoarders), subs are replaced with big eel-like creatures, there's magic etc that sort of thing.

It'd be a riveting show with battles and politics and natural diversity as it has a huge cast that spans continents and follows everyone from people living in an occupied town, the lowliest new recruit grunt in battle, resistance fighters and the politicians making the life or death decisions - including some who are just trying to keep their people out of the war.

The Nazi replacements are trying to develop a nuke-like weapon that needs to be powered by magic which is in turn powered by human sacrifice which is where the horrors of the regime, like concentration camps and transport trains comes in.

I remember devouring the six-book series over the summer 20 odd years ago and it blowing my mind.

Funnily enough, it was right after I put down book 2 of Wheel of Time half way through.

More
14 Nov 2021 19:39 #327950 by trif
I've been dying to see a Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser "buddy cop" series for ages.

We need some non dour and selfserious fantasy shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, ChristopherMD, jason10mm

More
14 Nov 2021 19:48 #327951 by jason10mm
Agreed, F&GM would be dope. Even another Conan show that kept the setting, the cast of characters (make them more recurring), and the "zest for life/Carpe Deim!" vibe rather than "my daddy hates me so now I hate everyone!" emo tone that is so pervasive these days.

Though even the old Conan film was basically daddy issues. It's everywhere in Hollywood.

More
14 Nov 2021 22:15 #327952 by hotseatgames
Episode 2 of Dexter: New Blood down. This one goes a long way to explaining questions brought up in the first episode. It also introduces a guest star who is always good...
Warning: Spoiler!

I still don't think the show is great, but I have determined that the best part about it is the closing credits music, which is identical to the original series. Also, this show doesn't have opening credits to speak of, which is a shame because the original show's intro is the best intro I have ever seen, period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
14 Nov 2021 22:36 #327954 by ChristopherMD
I feel like I'm force-feeding myself the final episodes of Foundation season one. There's no ending that could make the journey worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
15 Nov 2021 00:01 #327955 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: I still don't think the show is great, but I have determined that the best part about it is the closing credits music, which is identical to the original series. Also, this show doesn't have opening credits to speak of, which is a shame because the original show's intro is the best intro I have ever seen, period.

I thought the first episode's writing was pretty bad. I'm sure we'll stick it out but I'm not expecting much.

As for the intro music, I have that for one of my ringtones.

More
15 Nov 2021 10:24 #327968 by Shellhead
I saw a trailer for the upcoming Wheel of Time show, and it was bad. Wooden acting, cliched dialogue, generic visuals. Good versus evil. Zzzzz. 0% chance that I will ever watch it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, sornars

More
17 Nov 2021 09:44 #328032 by dysjunct
Spouse has been watching THE MAID on Netflix, which I guess is critically acclaimed, but man, I just have no patience for this kind of thing anymore. Sad sacks with sad lives, who make bad choices and surround themselves with toxic people, then it all plays out sadly.

I can’t even be in the room when this is on, even if I’m doing something else. I can just read the news or go on a stroll through downtown if I want to see that kind of thing, no need to waste my limited entertainment time on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mtagge

More
17 Nov 2021 10:31 #328036 by charlest
Sag recommended it awhile ago.

Wife and I watched it. Thoroughly depressing but overall I enjoyed it.

Wrong thread but Finch (new Tom Hanks film) hit me similarly. While I can admire these heartbreaking stories artistically, I'm at a point where they linger and leave me down for a long period afterward.

More
17 Nov 2021 11:51 #328038 by hotseatgames
Charlie, when I saw you tweet about Finch the other day, I thought you were talking about the band. I thought.. why the hell is Charlie talking about Finch? Oh well they were good. :D

More
17 Nov 2021 12:09 #328039 by charlest
Ha! Didn't even consider that confusion as I saw a couple of other people Tweet about it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.544 seconds