October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
17 Nov 2021 15:34 #328045 by boothwah

dysjunct wrote: Spouse has been watching THE MAID on Netflix, which I guess is critically acclaimed, but man, I just have no patience for this kind of thing anymore. Sad sacks with sad lives, who make bad choices and surround themselves with toxic people, then it all plays out sadly.

I can’t even be in the room when this is on, even if I’m doing something else. I can just read the news or go on a stroll through downtown if I want to see that kind of thing, no need to waste my limited entertainment time on it.

I feel the same. My job lets me watch life play out for households behind about 150 doors. I see enough of the sad sack stuff irl, that I have no desire to fill my head with it in the evening. I feel bad because my wife still digs a lot of it, but I just can't sit through 45 minutes of dysfunctional family theater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2021 15:48 #328046 by Sagrilarus
Oddly enough I found The Maid more uplifting than the feedback here because, in spite of the lead characters dire straits, she has agency and uses it. I appreciate that some people are not in a position to watch it due to their work.

More often than not I'm stuck watching shows with no hope whatsoever, generally picked by my wife and daughter where almost inevitably a woman or girl is being victimized. These shows sell.

Plenty of shows pointed at the male audience as well with similar levels of dour. The Boys was just a wallow in shit as far as I was concerned. Just a bunch of people you hope die before the end of the show because they suck, and because they're so two-dimensional. At least with The Maid there were some all-star performances by the people on screen, particularly the lead, her mother (Andie McDowell who was magnificent in it) and the man that played her husband.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith

More
17 Nov 2021 17:25 #328048 by Shellhead
I feel the pain. My bi-racial girlfriend made me take her to see For Colored Girls in the theater, and it was miserable. An anthology of stories about black women being abused, mostly by black men, directed by Tyler Perry. Great cast, but the melodrama was overwhelming. It scored 32% with critics on Rotten Tomato, but got an audience score of 73%.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
17 Nov 2021 22:43 #328065 by jason10mm
Started watching The Witcher again in prep for season 2. Damned if the show just gets better and better. The script is much tighter than I recall with a lot more references to the different story timelines if you listen (and know where it is going already). Cavill is so good, I really hope he gets the nod for Bond.

I suspect it is gonna be a shocking transition to Wheel of Time. Witchers costuming and vibe is so on point, it works so well with the limitations it has. Hope S2 really kicks it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
21 Nov 2021 09:55 #328116 by jason10mm
Well, Wheel of Time isn't a total disaster. They are hitting most of the high points I remember from the book. The casting is pretty erratic, but at least they kept Rand as a redhead so when an Aiel shows up the relationship should be obvious.

This is a weekly drop after the first 3 eps (which seems to be the new streaming model) but like most shows these days, it is a straight linear story with no real attempt to follow a three act structure within each ep, so weekly drops are kinda tortuous story wise.

And YES! there is braid pulling, just not the way you'd expect.

Consider me cautiously optimistic that this show will stumble into greatness like Spartacus or Buffy after a bit of ironing out the kinks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Nov 2021 10:02 #328117 by charlest
Yeah, as someone who hasn't read the books, it's decent enough. Started off kind of slow and generic I thought, but picked up with that first major event.

More
21 Nov 2021 17:05 - 21 Nov 2021 17:23 #328120 by mtagge
Wheel of Time is going to get an attempt after the whole season is released. I can't do a weekly drop anymore, too much life happens in between which disrupts the narrative.

Now that Foundation is done I finished off the last five episodes over the last three days. When I resumed Empire was going off Trantor for the first time in generations and for the life of me I couldn't remember why that was important. I think it is a visual masterpiece. Set designs are fantastic, displays of the technology are perfect. It's a pretty good soft sci-fi. A little too much space magic to be a true portrayal of Foundation. Spoiler for the show compared to a 70 year old book:
Warning: Spoiler!

Overall I liked the season, but not as a drip. This is a story to watch over a single week, not ten. It's just not Foundation. It's an echo of Asimov's story. Story is good enough and I'll watch season 2, it's just not hard sci-fi like the books are.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 17:23 by mtagge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius

More
21 Nov 2021 17:31 #328121 by hotseatgames
I have watched 2 episodes of the live action Cowboy Bebop on Netflix so far. I think it will most certainly be liked more by people who have not seen the anime. It is a very different animal. It is like they took characters and plots from across several episodes and just kind of stirred them up. And that is fine, there would be no point in making it exactly like the anime, as the anime already did that.

Is it great? No. But it's good enough that I'll watch it all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, n815e

More
21 Nov 2021 17:50 #328122 by charlest
I actually think it's surprisingly good (Bebop). I expected very little and that whole opening sequence and then cut into Tank! was pretty stellar.

I'm not sold on the portrayal of the main trio yet, but the dialogue and cadence of their speech is pretty damn good.

Style though is exceptional. Not just the music, but visually it looks great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, n815e

More
21 Nov 2021 18:45 #328124 by ChristopherMD
Foundation is very pretty but hollow inside. So much of it ends up being a stupid and slow waste of time.

I would have liked to seen this series...
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
21 Nov 2021 19:48 #328125 by Sagrilarus
The Great is back (Hulu) and it’s not great.

It’s magnificent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mezike, Nodens

More
21 Nov 2021 19:49 #328126 by Jackwraith
My reaction to Bebop is in line with what both of you said. I saw some of the original, but am not a hardcore anime fan, so I had no expectations to be ruined, which puts me in the target audience that hotseat mentions. As Charlie says, I very much appreciate the visual style and direction, as you can tell they put a lot of emphasis into emulating the style and approach of the anime of that period. I've only seen the first episode, but it was good enough and had enough story to keep watching. I thought John Cho and Daniella Pineda did well enough, but thought Mustafa Shakir was a little wooden. Hopefully, he grows into the role a bit more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, n815e

More
21 Nov 2021 21:03 #328128 by ChristopherMD

Sagrilarus wrote: The Great is back (Hulu) and it’s not great.

It’s magnificent.

HUZZAH!
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Sagrilarus, Nodens

More
21 Nov 2021 22:32 - 21 Nov 2021 22:33 #328130 by Sagrilarus
At what point did people stop shouting Huzzah?

First episode of BeBop had about 500 gunshots in it. the lead actress is a machine gun. I watched about a third of the show on mute, because I don’t listen to gunfights in TV shows anymore. The scenes with it in this were pretty gratuitous including in the first three seconds of the episode.

Typical American remake of a foreign show. Step 1 — add more gunfire. Sometimes I wonder if it’s paid product placement. And I think this is a legit remake of an existing episode from the cartoon version. Seemed pretty familiar.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 22:33 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Nov 2021 10:04 #328133 by the_jake_1973
We have also been watching the Bebop remake, The Great, and Wheel of Time.

Bebop: Neither one of us had familiarity with the animated version, so the live action is working pretty well. Vicious is a cartoon character in his own right. We had to get used to the episodic nature of the shows where there isn't a direct link from one epi to another other than the larger plotline. Art direction is wonderful.

The Great: Enjoyable show. Peter is an utter boob. Mean Girls in the age of Russian Enlightenment. What's not to love.

Wheel of Time: Never got into the books as I leaned more into Moorcock, Rawn, Robert Adams, etc. WoT just didn't grab me. The show is pretty good so far, 3 epis in. Effects are decent for television. I hate the rogue and maybe I am meant to since he seems destined for a redemption arc. The ginger comes off like a spoiled man-child when his girlfriend tells him she is thinking about being a wisdom. I would like to see a count of every fantasy series that has that one person who has a katana.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.732 seconds