October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Nov 2021 01:28 #328272 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

n815e wrote: I was not entirely sure about Bebop for the first few episodes. I was looking forward to it and wanted to like it, but it’s an odd show. I’m on episode 8 now and have really warmed to it.

We didn't make it.

Never seen the any of the previous incarnations. I liked the tone, but the characterisation and plots were meh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2021 09:49 #328278 by hotseatgames
I finished Bebop last night. Overall I liked it, but it mostly just made me want to watch the anime again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
27 Nov 2021 17:03 - 27 Nov 2021 17:12 #328282 by jason10mm
I'm about 3 eps deep into Bepop and while there is something about the cinematography and line delivery I don't like, the core material is so strong I'm digging it.

There is some REALLY clever fight choreography as well, that bathroom battle trying to stop loading the mag into the pistol was brilliant. Alas, Cho is real slow in his moves so it comes off feeling very scripted. Still, I like it WAY more than I thought I would.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 17:12 by jason10mm.

More
27 Nov 2021 17:20 - 27 Nov 2021 18:43 #328284 by jason10mm
Also watched the first 2 eps of Hawkeye on the D+. There is probably a plot in there somewhere but I don't care, the love put into the backgrounds along is enough. That Rogers Broadway play is goddamn fantastic and just the little things like Clint eating for free are very nice.

The fights are pretty good. I like street level Marvel, it saddens me we probably won't see DD, JJ, or Luke Cage in this. I'm hoping Florence Pugh shows up because Black Widow would fit right in to the is show and Kate Bishop would really use the role model.

Also, just wanted to add how damned nice it is that Linda Cardillini is 100% supportive of Clint and gives him no guff for staying in NYC. I was dreading a "what's more important to you, your job or your family?" manufactured drama but it was so nice to hear her back him. As a guy with a job that can be periodically and unexpectedly overwhelmingly demanding it is nice to see that kinda stuff.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 18:43 by jason10mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
27 Nov 2021 21:55 #328286 by Legomancer
Wasn't interested in watching TV for a long time, but am now getting back to it. We started to watch Halt and Catch Fire but after about four episodes in I think neither of us was too excited to go on. Despite being theoretically interested in the material, it all just bounced off.

We then re-watched Doctor Who season 12 in preparation for s13. I liked it more the second time around. We just finished it yesterday but haven't started the new season yet.

My wife had watched The Great season 1 and really liked it. S2 is out now. I asked her if she'd mind re-watching s1 and she was up for it, so we're about 3 episodes into that and it's a lot of fun.

At some point I tried Cowboy Bebop (the anime) yet again and once more it just drove home that I really do not like anime. I've never made it past episode 2.

More
28 Nov 2021 19:09 #328304 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Also watched Hawkeye. So far it is my second favourite of the Marvel series after Wandavision. It feels so human and the pacing and tone feel just right.

I know most people think Loki was the best, but it had so many loose ends, distractions and irrelevancies that in spite of the awesome 2nd last episode, it just felt like a huge mess to me.

More
28 Nov 2021 20:21 #328306 by hotseatgames
Two episodes into Wheel of Time, and I am enjoying it. I am probably the ideal audience, as I know nothing about the story or books.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
28 Nov 2021 21:38 #328314 by ChristopherMD
Finished watching the third/final season of Hanna. It was good and the show was overall fun. It doesn't reinvent the wheel for spy-thriller secret CIA assassin program stuff but it's a solid entry in the genre.

More
29 Nov 2021 12:55 #328336 by dysjunct
Almost to the end of Midnight Mass. Somehow missed this when it came out a few months ago. Very enjoyable. The setup has a lot of very standard elements (isolated community, heavily religious, flawed heroes seeking redemption, well-known mythological creature) but they are handled deftly.

The acting and music are especially well-done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siberianhusky

More
29 Nov 2021 13:19 #328337 by hotseatgames
Episode 4 of Dexter New Blood down, and surprisingly it was the best one yet. Only one *potential* plot hole that may turn out to be nothing, depending on where they take the story.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
29 Nov 2021 14:12 - 29 Nov 2021 14:24 #328340 by DarthJoJo
Finished A.P. Bio, at least as far as I’m willing to pay. Peacock made the curious decision to only paywall the last four episodes of the last season.

Pretty decent for a network sitcom. Enjoyed the latter online-only seasons as the episode structure got a lot more experimental in some standouts like the fan fiction and previously on episodes. Reminded me a little of a less ambitious Community. Would have liked to see the ensemble pared down a little. By my count, at least twenty actors were guaranteed a line per episode, and very few of them got the attention they deserved. Would have liked, too, to see more cast mixing instead of the class, Durbin/Helen and women teacher silos we got.

All those withstanding, it was still a decent way to spend 30 minutes at the end of the day. And there was an episode where the lead hosts a game night for Twilight Imperium where no one watched the rules video beforehand.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2021 14:24 by DarthJoJo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
29 Nov 2021 14:14 #328341 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: Episode 4 of Dexter New Blood

More
29 Nov 2021 14:33 #328343 by hotseatgames

Disgustipater wrote:

I've had the same thought, this other person could just be a red herring. However it resolves, I highly doubt I'll be saying "Wow I never saw that coming!"

More
29 Nov 2021 15:24 #328347 by mtagge
Working my way through Arcane on Netflix. It's apparently a TV show based on the League of Legends video game, which I have never played and never will because it's a MOBA. However the show isn't about the video game, just uses the backdrop. It's actually really good. All takes place in a city with a prohibition against magic use and rampant wealth inequality. It's a good character development piece. Hopefully it will pay off with an ending and not just be background to the events of the game. But I guess unlike some of the folks here I am interested in the ride as well for some shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
29 Nov 2021 15:26 #328348 by jason10mm
See, this kind of spoilery episodic speculation is what was lost when the world shifted to season dumps. Now it is back with drip release schedules but I've become impatient and just want to binge :P

Arcane:League of Legends or whatever it is subtitled on Netflix is a surprisingly good steampunky cartoon series. I know virtually nothing of LoL or its lore so I can't say how faithful it is, but as a standalone viewing experience it is pretty good. The art style is incredibly fluid, a welcome break from the low frame rate stuff Netflix usually cranks out with a sort of painted/cell shaded look (a lot like what the old Tangled movie was originally supposed to look like I think) that works really well. It has a lot of action, the violence is fairly PGish, and the characters are actually likeable and internally consistent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds