October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Mar 2022 21:31 #331889 by charlest
Black Sails is great. I like Rhys Darby quite a bit (he will always be Murray to me), but just have no desire to watch Our Flag Means Death.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2022 21:10 #331908 by jason10mm

ChristopherMD wrote: Might rewatch Black Sails to get the taste out of my eyeballs.

One of my fondest hopes is that the Black Sails crew gets back together in another 5 years or so to do Treasure Island proper.

More
27 Mar 2022 21:39 #331909 by ChristopherMD
I wanted one when it first ended. Now I think the show had such a great ending that I'd be worried they'd ruin it.

More
28 Mar 2022 10:42 #331917 by jason10mm

ChristopherMD wrote: I wanted one when it first ended. Now I think the show had such a great ending that I'd be worried they'd ruin it.

True enough. Given that TI is fundamentally a kid focused book I'm not sure the Black Sails treatment would be appropriate, though the more salacious elements dropped out a lot by the end.

Still, PIRATES!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
28 Mar 2022 11:30 #331923 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: Might rewatch Black Sails to get the taste out of my eyeballs.

One of my fondest hopes is that the Black Sails crew gets back together in another 5 years or so to do Treasure Island proper.

A few years ago, I saw a pretty decent version of Treasure Island that featured Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver.

More
29 Mar 2022 11:42 #331957 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote:

jason10mm wrote:

A few years ago, I saw a pretty decent version of Treasure Island that featured Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver.

Damn, I feel like I've seen that but 2012 simultaneously feels like too recent yet too long ago...the past few years have really screwed up my perception of time.

Anyway, I usually fall back on the Muppets for TI, as well as A Christmas Carol.

Now that I think about it, I want a Muppet version of lots of stuffy classics, like 20K Leagues, Dracula, Oliver Twist, Moby Dick, Swiss Family Robinson, Once and Future King, and Dune.

More
02 Apr 2022 19:08 - 02 Apr 2022 19:10 #332040 by Erik Twice
We seem to have hit a weird stretch of Gargoyles that has nothing to do with actual gargoyles at all. Rather, every episode is dedicated to some random myth, like the Loch Ness Monster, the Golem of Prague or Anansi. It's baffling because we are talking about a dozen episodes, as much as the entire first season. They are not terrible, just have little of what makes the series interesting in the first place.

Fleabag is fun so far. It's a comedy about a lying, cheating, thieving, sex-obsessed woman trying to live a normal life in London and, so far, it has been very funny. It's unusual in that the main character breaks the fourth wall to make comments to the audience, like in a book, and she's very sarcastic and not very much of a good person. The writing is good, the protagonist is likeable (in a douchy way), the actions relatable and the sexual content is pretty honest. Like my girlfriend says, I appreciate an adult-oriented show after watching so much stuff that is either for kids (Gargoyles), for "broad audiences" (Say, Marvel) or heavily censored (The Big Sleep). Some jokes did not land, but I'm liking it.

I suspect the series may end in a dark place, though. The protagonist looks like she will ruin her life and that of everyone surrounding her. But it's funny to watch the process.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2022 19:10 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
02 Apr 2022 20:36 #332041 by jason10mm
The problem I had with Fleabag is that she is a TERRIBLE person who gets to write her own story. It's very nihilistic. Even if it's a story that could happen, I got very little reward from watching it other than a few chuckles.

More
02 Apr 2022 23:55 #332043 by Not Sure
If you're committing to Fleabag, I'd definitely watch through the second season. It becomes a slightly different show with a little more introspection.

I'd agree she's a terrible person, but I don't think she's even the worst person on that show. The stepmother is a real piece of work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
03 Apr 2022 15:48 #332052 by jason10mm
Heh heh, regarding Fleabag s2, one day Hollywood will discover that there are entire religions with priests that not only DON'T have a vow of celebacy but can, in fact, get married and have kids. The weird movie world where every priest is catholic* has always confused me.

* or some sort of deep south Baptist revivalist preacher type, complete with tent, gospel choir, and shifty assistant.

More
04 Apr 2022 09:25 #332060 by RobertB
A long way back, before the internet, one of my coworkers blew my mind when he told me that the Greek Orthodox Church has two flavors of priests - one celibate, one not. His take was, "How is a priest who's not married going to be able to give you marital advice?" Made sense to me.

More
04 Apr 2022 10:46 #332064 by the_jake_1973
Watching Minx on HBOMax. It centers around the startup of a fictional first feminist leaning erotic mag for women. smartly written, great cast, the 70s setting really pops. Worth a watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
04 Apr 2022 11:30 #332066 by Shellhead

the_jake_1973 wrote: Watching Minx on HBOMax. It centers around the startup of a fictional first feminist leaning erotic mag for women. smartly written, great cast, the 70s setting really pops. Worth a watch.

I just finished catching up with the latest episodes yesterday. I really like the Minx. It isn't generally laugh-out loud comedy, but definitely worth some smiles. I agree that the cast and the writing is great. The last couple of episodes had endings that surprised me.

More
05 Apr 2022 03:32 #332071 by Erik Twice

jason10mm wrote: The weird movie world where every priest is catholic* has always confused me.

The weirdest thing about it is that it's prominent in countries where most priests aren't even catholic!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
05 Apr 2022 08:37 #332073 by dysjunct

Erik Twice wrote:

jason10mm wrote: The weird movie world where every priest is catholic* has always confused me.

The weirdest thing about it is that it's prominent in countries where most priests aren't even catholic!!

Hypothesis: Hollywood is full of lapsed Catholic screenwriters, but lapsed fundamentalists, evangelicals, and mainline Protestants go into other fields.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds