October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
30 Apr 2022 17:07 #332726 by Msample
I finished OZARK last night. While overall it was good, it followed the trend of shows like SONS OF ANARCHY and THE SHIELD where the plot twists and escapes by the characters got progressively more absurd. I think they stretched it a season too far.

And the constant grey/overcast/flat lighting is tiresome after awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2022 19:00 #332731 by Disgustipater
I've seen/heard a fair amount of Ozark, Sons of Anarchy, etc. because my wife watches them while I am on the computer in the same room. Anyway, my interest in such shows is basically non-existent these days, because of the constant escalation is so tiresome and completely pulls me out of it. They just have to get more and more extreme as time goes on. Tied in with the "one step forward two steps back" problem that forces characters to do more crazy things to get back to where they were before, I've just opted out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
30 Apr 2022 19:07 #332732 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I find I reach a point where I'm essentially watching for one character. All the other escalation, it's not just that it's too much, it's also that it's often driven by decisions of characters that seem out of character (initially, at least, ,until you realise that there is no character, just some vague sketch that changes over time to suit the plot). But often there'll be one character that is interesting, shows some development, and is well acted. I'm still watching the Ozarks because of Ruth and Ruth alone. Everything else is dumb and I hate the characters and wish they'd just hurry up and die as just desserts for their stupid stupid and often bizarre decision making.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars

More
02 May 2022 08:25 #332742 by hotseatgames
Finished Ozark. Not the resolution I wanted, but it was an acceptable one. As someone theorized up thread, I think this show went 2 seasons longer than it should have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars

More
04 May 2022 21:50 #332822 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Moon Knight in the end was ok. I know many people loved the psychological aspects of it, but in the end there just was enough of Moon Knight on screen for my liking, and way too much overanalyzing of the dynamic between Mark and Stephen. I really only liked the 2nd and 3rd episodes. First and last were just standard introduction and conclusion and the 4th and 5th really dragged and were dull.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
06 May 2022 11:12 #332850 by jpat
My wife and I have been trying to binge Moon Knight just for the purposes of being "ready" for Dr. Strange 2. I've never watched one of the Marvel series this way, so it's been interesting to observe how much is plot padding (not all or even most of it bad in this case) there is, which is somewhat less evident watching week-to-week.

More
06 May 2022 12:00 #332851 by Shellhead
Samurai Jack (via HBO) is a much better cartoon than I remembered. The animation is deliberately a bit crude, about on the level of Ren & Stimpy or the Powerpuff Girls. And yet the animation is very stylized and evocative, and the writing is simple but vigorous. Sometimes there are long stretches without dialogue, where the animation is effectively telling the story without need for words. I only watched a few episodes back in the day because the setup seemed too limited for an entire season of a show, but now I see that the writers drew inspiration from everywhere and everything. One early episode channeled The Right Stuff, while another featured the evil overlord trying and failing to brainwash young children with old fairy tales warped into fascist propaganda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars, Erik Twice

More
06 May 2022 12:40 #332853 by WadeMonnig

Shellhead wrote: Samurai Jack while another featured the evil overlord trying and failing to brainwash young children with old fairy tales warped into fascist propaganda.

He should have aimed at middle aged deplorables with that fairy tale called the American Dream.

More
07 May 2022 21:56 - 07 May 2022 21:57 #332894 by ChristopherMD
Star Trek Picard - I'm halfway through season two and pushed to get this far because I wanted to like it. Every episode has left me some amount of annoyed and confused. I think I'm done.

Last edit: 07 May 2022 21:57 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, jpat, Msample, mtagge, Kmann

More
08 May 2022 09:06 #332900 by jason10mm
The good news is Strange New Worlds might be at least of Voyager or Enterprise quality, so fingers crossed.

More
08 May 2022 09:19 #332901 by Virabhadra

Shellhead wrote: Samurai Jack (via HBO) is a much better cartoon than I remembered

If you have HBO access at the moment and you liked Samurai Jack, absolutely do not miss the creator's R-Rated newer series Primal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jason10mm, Gregarius

More
08 May 2022 21:19 - 08 May 2022 21:21 #332921 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm not positive all Roman Catholic priests are required to be celibate. I know some of them are married, often Anglican or Episcopal priests who bring wives with them into the RC church. Are they required to remain celibate in spite of being married?

Religion can be pretty complex.

RC priests (aka presbyters ) can’t marry, but deacons can be married if they are married before being ordained. Deacon is a step below a priest. It’s kind of like a medical resident is a step below a doctor. (I had a friend in high school whose dad was a deacon).
Last edit: 08 May 2022 21:21 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
09 May 2022 03:06 #332924 by mtagge
Been watching an Amazon Prime series called Outer Range starring Thanos Josh Brolin. Takes place in two ranches and the local town. The main character finds a hole in his property that pierces time instead of space. It is mostly a character drama (struggling ranching family next door to greedy 1%er trying to take over the particular pasture, missing people, strange girl who asks to camp near the pasture and acts as an outside observer), but it is actually really good. The sci-fi aspects are low key but fundamental the current personality conflicts. Highly recommended.

Regarding Picard. Yeah, I gave up four episodes into the series. Couldn't stand it at all. My wife finished the first season and confirmed for me that it was garbage.

More
09 May 2022 08:40 #332928 by charlest
I really enjoyed Outer Range and thought the ending of season one was great. It's a more sophisticated and subdued Yellowstone with a touch of science fiction.

More
09 May 2022 19:09 #332930 by hotseatgames
I finished Outer Range. I think it was mystery box nonsense.

They should take everything they have and throw it out the window, and THEN, write a show that is just Billy, leaving the family ranch to make his way in Nashville as a singer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, mtagge

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds