October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
31 May 2022 07:53 #333368 by jason10mm
I started Night Sky but after ep 1 I figured out the sci-fi element was mostly likely bait and so I cut it. Still haven't finished Outer Range either. My tolerance for mystery Box shows with slow pace and no resolution is low.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2022 08:01 #333369 by charlest
Yes, it very much reminds me of Outer Range in terms of pacing and how it utilizes the sci-fi element.

I'm a huge JK Simmons fan (his performance in Whiplash is unbelievable), but I think Spacek holds her own here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, mtagge

More
01 Jun 2022 05:27 #333399 by mtagge
I agree with the assessment that these two shows use the sci-fi element as a scene setter and end up being character studies. I do enjoy the character studies, but think Outer Range is the stronger of the two.

More
01 Jun 2022 09:23 #333401 by hotseatgames
I've started season 4 of Stranger Things. I'm enjoying it so far. You can tell where the money went.

More
01 Jun 2022 10:39 #333404 by Jackwraith
My problem with season 4 of Stranger Things is that there's simply too much happening that strains credulity, which is a weird thing to say about a science-fantasy show. I can't go into detail without enormous spoilers, but basically all of the storylines away from what's happening in Hawkins are so contrived that they range from "Wait. Why would they do this?" to "Yeah, that would never fucking happen." And this is a show about psychic powers and extradimensional monsters. I realize that they wanted to get away from the "all this stuff happens in this one otherwise-normal town" situation, but I think they went way too much "Marvel universe" and not enough "Eerie, Indiana" with this season. I haven't found it nearly as compelling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
01 Jun 2022 11:05 #333406 by Virabhadra

charlest wrote: I'm a huge JK Simmons fan (his performance in Whiplash is unbelievable)

He guest stars in an episode of Party Down that is just *chef's kiss*. The show as a whole is fantastic and that particular episode is a standout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, sornars, charlest

More
01 Jun 2022 13:02 #333411 by Not Sure

Virabhadra wrote:

charlest wrote: I'm a huge JK Simmons fan (his performance in Whiplash is unbelievable)

He guest stars in an episode of Party Down that is just *chef's kiss*. The show as a whole is fantastic and that particular episode is a standout.

That episode is so good. Party Down seems like a show that if you described the cast and premise it would be a 30 Rock fake show, i.e. "this can't exist", but for a brief moment it did.

The grifter investment guy in the empty house... another classic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
01 Jun 2022 16:41 #333420 by RobertB

Jackwraith wrote: My problem with season 4 of Stranger Things is that there's simply too much happening that strains credulity, which is a weird thing to say about a science-fantasy show. I can't go into detail without enormous spoilers, but basically all of the storylines away from what's happening in Hawkins are so contrived that they range from "Wait. Why would they do this?" to "Yeah, that would never fucking happen." And this is a show about psychic powers and extradimensional monsters. I realize that they wanted to get away from the "all this stuff happens in this one otherwise-normal town" situation, but I think they went way too much "Marvel universe" and not enough "Eerie, Indiana" with this season. I haven't found it nearly as compelling.

I'm still early into Stranger Things 4, but I've been spending a lot of it wishing the teen angst crap would get out of the way. I wasn't the world's biggest fan back when John Hughes was doing it, and getting older hasn't changed me much.

More
03 Jun 2022 13:57 #333437 by jason10mm
Re Stranger Things, I'm having a hard time reconciling these like 20 year old dudes still acting like whiney little bitches. The casting of what must be 30 year old dudes to play HS seniors just so the OG cast looks, by comparison, sorta young enough to be sophmores is appropriate for the 80's I guess :P

They way they try to hide what Milli Brown looks like now is even more amusing, she is practically unrecognizable when she wants to vamp it up in real life.

I must say that so far this season is better than 2 and 3, even if every cut to California is a strain and they had serious balls to have a bulemia arc when that older sister actress looks like death warmed over.

I wonder if these long episodes are a cost cutting measure to reduce the overall episode count. Are streaming actors still paid by the ep or is it more of a "whole season" kinda thing?

More
03 Jun 2022 15:22 #333438 by Sagrilarus
Stranger Things Season 4 -- I'm only one show in and my thought coming away at the end was that you have an entire town with undiagnosed, untreated severe PTSD. Going to be a real entertaining spin through mental illness, always a crowd-pleaser.

That said, the montage between the basketball game and the D&D session was really well done. Bringing Vecna back was a pretty doggone amusing scene. Someone did their homework.

Shortly after that the special effects department kicked in for the remaining 10 minutes in the episode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
03 Jun 2022 16:16 #333439 by Sagrilarus
Stranger Things Season 4 -- I'm only one show in and my thought coming away at the end was that you have an entire town with undiagnosed, untreated severe PTSD. Going to be a real entertaining spin through mental illness, always a crowd-pleaser.

That said, the montage between the basketball game and the D&D session was really well done. Bringing Vecna back was a pretty doggone amusing scene. Someone did their homework.

Shortly after that the special effects department kicked in for the remaining 10 minutes in the episode.

More
03 Jun 2022 19:30 #333440 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

jason10mm wrote: The casting of what must be 30 year old dudes to play HS seniors just so the OG cast looks, by comparison, sorta young enough to be sophmores is appropriate for the 80's I guess :P

Exactly what i thought!

More
04 Jun 2022 08:55 #333443 by RobertB
I'm a little farther into Stranger Things 4 now, and I'm going to take back a little of my whining about the teen angst. It looks like they dialed it down a notch.

re: jason10mm - I think every show with teens in it casts older, especially if the want to check off the 'handsome jock' box.

Spoilers up to Ep. 5 for me.
Warning: Spoiler!

More
05 Jun 2022 23:35 #333475 by KingPut
Excellent TV shows this summer. Seems like 2 years of Covid has resulted in some good Science Fiction script writing. Love the new season of Stranger Things, Obi Wan has been awesome so far and Star Trek Strange New Worlds has been really good. I'm hoping Orville will also be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
06 Jun 2022 10:18 #333479 by Sagrilarus

KingPut wrote: Obi Wan has been awesome so far . . .

I watched the first two last night, very good Star Wars content. Quite impressed.

But a question -- three episodes only? Is this a onesie release, or something where we can expect more installments? I could understand McGregor not wanting to be tied in to a long-run TV series given his usual work in film.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds