T
thegiantbrain
July 14, 2022
724 0
A
adamr
July 13, 2022
826 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
07 Jun 2022 12:08 #333516 by Shellhead
In between episodes of The Boys, I have been watching multiple episodes of Superman: the Animated Series, as a palate cleanser. Or antivenom. The quality level is equivalent to Batman: the Animated Series, except that Superman is inherently a bit bland and judgmental. Lois steals every scene, even though she wears the same outfit in nearly every episode. The most recent episode that I watched was a team-up with the Flash, and the writer oddly decided to portray the Flash as an insufferable jerk when he is not actively saving the day. It isn't made clear whether this Barry Allen or Wally West, but the subsequent Justice League series in this same continuity establishes that it is Wally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2022 16:36 #333534 by stormseeker75
We binged Stranger Things season 4 this weekend thanks to the VID. That was awesome. I'm sure you're all watching so no need to go into it.

My wife and I really fell in love with Barry about a month ago. What a great show. It's bananas. Season 3 feels less good than the first two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, Virabhadra

More
08 Jun 2022 01:35 #333545 by Nodens
Barry is back! Thanks for posting this, will check it out.

More
08 Jun 2022 13:17 #333554 by stormseeker75
Yeah, we're 7 episodes into season 3 now. This is my mitzvah for the day!

More
08 Jun 2022 21:57 #333560 by Jackwraith
Count me in for Tokyo Vice. We're only on episode 3 but it's brilliant. It helps that I'm a fan of Ken Watanabe to begin with, not to mention Japanese culture, in general. But it's really well-written and well-paced on top of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
08 Jun 2022 23:11 #333562 by Msample

Jackwraith wrote: Count me in for Tokyo Vice. We're only on episode 3 but it's brilliant. It helps that I'm a fan of Ken Watanabe to begin with, not to mention Japanese culture, in general. But it's really well-written and well-paced on top of that.

They just announced Season 2 has been greenlit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, hotseatgames

More
09 Jun 2022 08:33 #333564 by hotseatgames
Finished the first part of season 4 of Stranger Things. Maybe this just hit at the right time for me, but I loved it. I think it is superior to seasons 2 and 3, although that was a lifetime ago so who knows.

Looking forward to the rest of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
09 Jun 2022 12:15 #333569 by Frohike
Season 4 had me at Kate Bush. And that ending to chapter 4 (Dear Billy)! Amazing.

More
09 Jun 2022 13:12 #333571 by stormseeker75
This season is fantastic. Its basically a whole bunch of movies all together. I do find it funny that I find the Joyce/Murray plot (didn't want to spoil) to be the least believable.

More
09 Jun 2022 15:59 #333576 by jason10mm

stormseeker75 wrote: This season is fantastic. Its basically a whole bunch of movies all together. I do find it funny that I find the Joyce/Murray plot (didn't want to spoil) to be the least believable.

Yeah, I have no idea what the payoff for any of that could possibly be. A certain character could have just been pulled back out of the ether and it would have saved us about an hour of cringe and been about as believable in-universe.

Still, I'm always amused whenever Hollywood likes to poke fun at communism and how deplorable it all is. Keeps me warm. And now I have a strong craving for peanut butter :P

I'm hoping the back end of ST4 goes to Dream Warriors territory if they are gonna commit to ANOES as that was always the best phase of that series IMHO. Hopefully it doesn't end with yet another Eleven versus bad guy "constipated face scream off...err psychic battle".

I could -almost- go for a mini-series that just takes 80's IP like Gremlins, Goonies, ET, etc and does a little bit more long form exploration of the topic. The 80's is such a warm cozy blanket :P

The Boys season 3. Yup, it's The Boys. I think they got a volume discount on the human gib effect cause they REALLY get their money's worth! Just a few eps in so "the plot", if this show really has one, is still developing, but all the characters are in fine form. Seeing Hughie FINALLY getting some backbone only to collapse as soon as Starlight glances at another guy is too funny though I hope they don't over play it.

The overall Vought concept though is getting creaky though and I hope they move away from it in later seasons. It was amusing to see the "superheroes as corporate shills" for a while but now it just makes no sense why Homelander, a guy who seems like he REALLY REALLY wants to just smash everyone around him into paste, still plays along. If there is an obvious means to check that guy, other than playing to his massive fragile ego, I'm not remembering it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Frohike, WadeMonnig

More
09 Jun 2022 17:00 #333579 by stormseeker75
I think it was his Oedipus issues, but that had been resolved. I haven't read the comics so I don't know anything outside the show.

More
09 Jun 2022 18:33 #333582 by Virabhadra
I noticed that Pushing Daisies is streaming on HBO and decided to show it to Des. It occasionally verges on being a little too quick and a little too twee, but there's a good balance of whimsy and violence (every episode is a different murder victim) and it's a neat watch all the same.

It's funny on re-watch to know that the actor playing timid pie-maker and series lead Ned would go on to become Marvel's Ronan the Accuser.

More
09 Jun 2022 19:09 #333585 by Ah_Pook
First episode of Ms. Marvel really captured the vibe of the comics. I love the character, and the show started off really strong.

More
10 Jun 2022 11:27 #333590 by dysjunct
Finally catching up so I can reclaim my nerd card.

STRANGER THINGS 4 VOL. I was a treat; I think it's my second favorite season after the first. Agree that the Murray/Hopper/Joyce plotline was the weakest and least believable.

MS MARVEL started off really strong, sympathetic characters and good/funny treatment of the cultural issues around immigrant families and their foot-in-both-worlds kids. Hopefully it continues.

THE BOYS is also very entertaining and a fine return to form. I'm a little iffy on the detente between the various factions, but it doesn't look like it will last very long. Also, gore budget: infinite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stormseeker75

More
11 Jun 2022 21:48 #333610 by DarthJoJo
What if…? felt like a missed opportunity. They could have gone gonzo and passed out episodes to people like Genndy Tartakovsky, Shinichiro Watanabe, Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust, even Seth McFarlane and let them gone nuts, something like Animatrix. Instead we got a tightly controlled, very limited bunch of stories. Party Thor and Star T’Challa were the best for the breadth of reimagined characters. Killmonger’s episode felt like a missed opportunity though I did enjoy the “I like anime” line.

Girls5Eva’s second season isn’t urgent or innovative and doesn’t capture the zeitgeist in spite of its constant references and name drops, but I enjoyed it. Actors have settled into their roles without feeling like they need to fight for attention and a few storylines were took small turns I didn’t expect. Maybe not worth a Peacock subscription on its own but worth it if you have it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.554 seconds