October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 Jul 2022 17:40 #334073 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I'm OK with ST: D being a long arc show. I tend to enjoy those far more than I do episodic ones. I would vastly favor something on the order of Breaking Bad, with a story of several season but with an end planned from the beginning, over something that's just churning episode-of-the-week for as long as possible. I've also really enjoyed the Klingon stuff so far. I thought one of the best features of TNG was that they decided to feature the aliens of the universe not in a "these people are so strange!" framework but in a "these are PEOPLE from different worlds" framework. That comment in the first episode about how the otherwise peaceable Vulcans had learned that the only way to gain the respect of the Klingons was to attack them first until they finally came to a meeting of the minds? That's kinda what I'm here for (and it reminds of ST: Ascendancy!) I don't need another episode(s) of the strange crystal creature that's disintegrating starbases. I'm more into learning about how everyone's interacting and if I learn the real story of how the Klingons stole the cloaking tech from the Romulans along the way, so much the better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2022 19:06 #334074 by mezike
man v bee on Netflix or, to use the title it should have had, Mr Bean the movie pt3. Rowan Atkinson plays the part of Rowan Atkinson, a man who makes strange facial expressions whilst doing improbable things that no rational person would ever attempt whilst chasing a bee in a house filled with very expensive things. There is no earthly reason why what is very clearly a complete movie has been cut up into several short segments, unless it’s an attempt to rope in the global Bean audience who are used to seeing this stuff in ten minute blocks. Anyway, it’s funny if you like Atkinson in pratfall mode and is more akin in tone to peak Bean in the TV show than Atkinson’s latter day movie work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
07 Jul 2022 04:28 #334085 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Joebot wrote: [

I also don't think the emotional beats landed as well as they should have. No spoilers, but the one character who we thought died, but then didn't, but then did, but then didn't, but then ended up in a coma ... how the fuck am I supposed to feel after all of that?!? It was so muddled and confusing.

Yeah this i don't care about hangovers to next season or resolution but really, come on, this was half arsed - if you want to have me really believe stuff is on the line there needs to be some clear follow through to resonate. This felt like Xander losing an eye. And then maybe not.

ST for me wasn't so much a "oh that's me" tv show (Which I get) but an homage to the movies/pop culture of that time. When it leans in on that its at its best i think.

More
07 Jul 2022 08:31 #334087 by stormseeker75

Joebot wrote: [quote="RobertB" post=334053
I also don't think the emotional beats landed as well as they should have. No spoilers, but the one character who we thought died, but then didn't, but then did, but then didn't, but then ended up in a coma ... how the fuck am I supposed to feel after all of that?!? It was so muddled and confusing.

This. This was hot garbage. WTF? How did it happen? What were the repercussions? Why did the thing happen if the character didn't stay dead? That's the worst writing in the series. Just pointless.

More
07 Jul 2022 08:47 #334088 by charlest
It was reminiscent of the Rise of Skywalker ending.

More
07 Jul 2022 10:39 #334090 by stormseeker75
I stand by my sentiment.

More
07 Jul 2022 15:01 #334099 by Joebot

charlest wrote: It was reminiscent of the Rise of Skywalker ending.

Now I kinda want season 5 to start with an opening text scrawl: "Somehow Vecna has returned!"

I don't watch Stranger Things to validate my hobbies. I've honestly never even heard of such a thing. Do people really do that??

I watch it because it's well-crafted sci-fi/horror, and there isn't nearly enough of that on TV. It's also funny and extremely heartfelt. And yeah, sure, the nostalgia pandering doesn't hurt. I am an occasional sucker for that sort of thing, I freely admit. I'm just the right age, so that stuff hits me.

One thing that makes me laugh and shake my head though -- clearly the show's creators have a deep and abiding love for Stephen King, and hey, me too. But the showrunners seem to love their characters so much, they don't have the guts to actually kill anyone off!! King on the other hand?? Come on. If SK had written this show, you know he would have killed half the cast by now, and cackled gleefully while doing it. King is a right bastard. He also understands the concept of "stakes." Something this show might want to look into for its final season.

More
07 Jul 2022 16:30 #334103 by stormseeker75
I agree with that. The one death in Season 4 Part 2 was a throwaway in the grand scheme of things. We need a couple to MATTER.

More
07 Jul 2022 16:52 - 07 Jul 2022 16:53 #334105 by ChristopherMD
The deaths they've had in the past have been impactful so we know the capability is there.

Last edit: 07 Jul 2022 16:53 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
07 Jul 2022 18:49 - 07 Jul 2022 18:53 #334108 by Frohike
I think they're keeping
Warning: Spoiler!
because they want to go through a similar cycle to the first season where
, much like Will being lost in the upside-down but with an added mind entrapment angle. It'll probably culminate with another Return of the Jedi style multi-front attack, since they seem incapable of keeping the entire group together for one plot line, and we'll get our "butterfly tears" moment where
. Corny as hell, but I don't think they'll shy from that. We might also see some more effective "piggybacking" with
sharing powers with Eleven for a bit in the final fight since they'll know Vecna's weak point for maximum damage.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2022 18:53 by Frohike.

More
07 Jul 2022 19:27 - 07 Jul 2022 19:29 #334109 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Yes to the death thing, exactly what I mean.

Speaking of which we are watching Boba Fett finally, and what in holy hell. The main storyline is plodding as hell, sure, but then to put 2 episodes that have nothing to do with the rest of the show just smack bang in the middle? Seemingly because the first part was running out of steam? Holy hell. In what universe is that a good idea? I had heard that "the episodes with the Mando in it are better", but, well, they weren't episodes of Boba Fett, they were episodes of another show, and, they were pretty bloody plodding as well. What actually happened here?
Last edit: 07 Jul 2022 19:29 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ancient_of_MuMu, Frohike, Nodens

More
08 Jul 2022 04:08 #334116 by Nodens
Sounds like the old Marvel Comics crossover thing where you either see everything or don't get the complete story. Same as with the comic books, I can't wait to ignore the fan-made cuts where they put everything together in 'correct' order...

More
08 Jul 2022 08:41 #334118 by stormseeker75

Frohike wrote: .

What you said, all of it. I'm good with all of that. This is like fantasy booking a wrestling company.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
08 Jul 2022 14:34 #334123 by Joebot

mc wrote: Yes to the death thing, exactly what I mean.

Speaking of which we are watching Boba Fett finally, and what in holy hell. The main storyline is plodding as hell, sure, but then to put 2 episodes that have nothing to do with the rest of the show just smack bang in the middle? Seemingly because the first part was running out of steam? Holy hell. In what universe is that a good idea? I had heard that "the episodes with the Mando in it are better", but, well, they weren't episodes of Boba Fett, they were episodes of another show, and, they were pretty bloody plodding as well. What actually happened here?

Boba Fett was such a relentlessly dumb show. The core premise was flawed right from the start. A strictly PG-13 rated show about the head of a criminal empire? What actual CRIMES was Fett even in charge of?!? The show told us absolutely nothing! And don't get me started on the Vespa-riding space biker gang.

I've been really frustrated with Ms Marvel as well. The first two episodes had so much charm and humor and visual flair. They were great. But as the season has gone on, the show has moved away from "family comedy" into "superhero" stuff, and it feels like it's just going through the motions. The actions scenes are rote and dull. The impression I get is that the creators just don't care about the superhero content, but Disney gave them a checklist of superhero story elements they HAD to cram in there. They feel like contractual obligations. I also think the show made a big mistake in leaving New Jersey for half the season. They did such a good job of introducing Kamala's friends, school, family, and mosque ... then they left them all behind two episodes later. Weird choice.

Disney+ definitely has not cracked the code on how to create compelling TV content. They got super lucky out of the gates with Wandavision and Mandalorian. Everything since has just been mediocre-to-bad with a few rare bright spots (I liked Hawkeye quite a bit).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
08 Jul 2022 14:41 #334124 by Msample
BOBBA FETT may go down the path of the Star Wars Christmas special as something that will never be talked of again. The two episode Mando diversion smells like someone stopped production halfway thru and decided it was NOT "the way" and tried to salvage some cotent out of the series.

The Vespa teen gang can follow Jar Jar down into the nearest Sarlac pit for all I care.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.732 seconds