October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Aug 2022 15:09 #335186 by Virabhadra
Matt Smith looks like someone put a wig on The Observer from Fringe.

If I've learned anything from watching and reading about television, it's that capital-R "Reviews" of a show based on screeners of the first few episodes are about as useful as reviewing a book's dust jacket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2022 15:31 #335187 by hotseatgames

the_jake_1973 wrote: I like Matt Smith in theory, but his low-polygon face weirds me out.

Thou hast killed me

More
22 Aug 2022 15:40 #335188 by stormseeker75
Ah, Matt Smith... ITS MORBIN' TIME!

More
22 Aug 2022 16:06 #335190 by RobertB
ASOIAF is no closer to finishing now that it was on the first page of book 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
22 Aug 2022 19:20 #335193 by Jackwraith
I was largely disappointed. As Msample pointed out, the first 5 seasons of GoT were epic TV. And for a show to be that good for five seasons is a rare thing. Of course, the last three were disjointed, simplistic, and often boring. What rescued them were the interesting characters (Jaime, Tyrion, Arya, etc.) that were still around, most of whom had been introduced in episode 1. I counted one (1) even vaguely compelling character last night and that was Daemon (Smith), not because he was witty like Tyrion or menacing but intelligent like early Jaime or earnest and endearing like early Arya. But mostly because he had a personality, which almost all of the rest of them lacked entirely. Said personality is "arrogant dipshit", which isn't exactly a selling point, but there it is. Gary is right in that they've returned to the dialogue-driven political machination stuff, which is fine, but it's also quite tedious when you introduce the entire series with that, without compelling characters, and only interrupt it with the most overtly gratuitous blood and nudity that any show has displayed this side of Cinemax. It was borderline lowbrow. But possibly the most aggravating thing of all of this is that it's a rehashed story. GRRM produced a coffee table book about the history of Westeros, which covered this story in detail. Then he produced a "novel" (more like a documentary in prose form) called Fire and Blood, which told this story AGAIN. Having already read the coffee table book, I got about 35 pages into Fire and Blood and put it down because I was re-reading old material, just with greater detail. Now this same story is going to be a TV series for how many seasons? I'll try another episode or two, but if the writing doesn't ramp up quickly, my lack of interest will be more than I can stand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mezike, sornars

More
22 Aug 2022 21:33 #335194 by jason10mm
I think when people realize JUST HOW MUCH incest is gonna be in this, they will check out. The King and Queen are first cousins. There is likely gonna be uncle/niece stuff (couple different iterations). If they roll it out another generation there are more brother/sister weddings coming. The story of how that black guy slid into those DMs has gotta be pretty epic, even for the richest guy in the realm :P

No matter how much dragon fighting there is, it's gonna get creepy on a level I don't think folks are down with these days.

More
22 Aug 2022 22:06 #335195 by dysjunct
Maybe they’ll cancel out the human incest with some dragon incest.

More
22 Aug 2022 22:13 #335196 by Virabhadra
That's almost the exact story pitch for that Rick & Morty episode so many people were on the fence about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
23 Aug 2022 12:09 #335204 by Gregarius
I think it did a fine job of setting up the players and the coming conflicts, particularly the battle for the throne between niece and uncle. I agree there aren't any standout personalities yet, but I have hope they will emerge.

Comparing it to the first ep of GoT seems unfair for a number of reasons: one, that is such a high bar for a series opener, and two, they had to almost completely reshoot it because the first try was so awful. I think the prolonged success of GoT gave the Hot-D folks unearned confidence that they could do it right the first time.

More
23 Aug 2022 15:18 #335207 by jason10mm
I think a very underappreciated aspect to GoT (and those first few books) was GRRMs long experience as a TV show writer and his skill with writing cliffhangers/ending in "Oh Shit!"moments. The POV shifting nature of the books and the show fed this a lot.

These features are lost in the historic recounting nature of Fire and Ice, doubt HotD does it as much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, sornars, Gregarius

More
23 Aug 2022 18:00 #335209 by Shellhead
I'm not reading any newer Martin books until he at least finishes Winds of Winter. So I haven't read either of the books providing the source material for House of the Dragon. The first episode was okay, but the only character that stood out was the villainous uncle. We might get a three-way conflict for the throne involving him, his mother, and his boring niece. Since this is Westeros, the current Hand of the King is just as doomed as a drummer for Spinal Tap. I wonder if this show will move forward through time by leaps and bounds or if it will move at a more normal story-telling pace? That niece looks like she could easily age up with just a bit of makeup. Reminds me of a funny comment online about how Maisie Williams looks like a very young grandma.

I agree with the comment upthread about how the uncle looked like Elric with that dragon helm that he wore in the tourney. It's a shame that Elric keeps getting passed over for tv or movie treatment. If and when we ever get Elric onscreen, people will call him a Witcher ripoff, which is precisely wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
23 Aug 2022 18:49 - 23 Aug 2022 18:51 #335210 by Msample
The two young female leads ( kings daughter and her BFF who gets turned out by her pimp dad the Hand of the King ) will be aged up/replaced by older actresses later on; not sure on the exact timing.

comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/house-of-dra...ained-timeline-jump/
Last edit: 23 Aug 2022 18:51 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Aug 2022 20:07 - 29 Aug 2022 12:31 #335211 by Gary Sax
I thought the child actress for Rhaenyra was pretty good.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2022 12:31 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Aug 2022 21:46 #335213 by ChristopherMD
I'm just not in the mood for HBO's gratuitous adultness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
24 Aug 2022 08:38 #335219 by stormseeker75
That's a great way of putting it. Everything is gratuitous on HBO. Always has been. That was probably part of it's charm back in the day. Now it's essentially a TV studio that likes to add just a bit more of whatever it is they're serving than you need.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.651 seconds