October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2701 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
26 Sep 2022 21:03 #335760 by jason10mm
The beauty of HotD us that there are NO VILLAINS. Everyone acts out of human self interest or for their kids. There are no moustach twirling mad with power evil people. There are just folks who might crack under pressure, gotta deal with societal expectations, can't escape their families needs, and better step up or get crushed because second place tends to be in a shallow grave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2022 22:50 #335764 by Jackwraith
I think that's a fair call in that there are no obvious villains and that was the draw of Game of Thrones. Everyone was wearing a gray hat of one color or another except for Ned Stark and occasionally Sansa or Jon Snow, but even they had to make morally questionable decisions because that's what their circumstances demanded. This lot is in the same boat. The difference here has been that HALF THE SEASON has been prologue to this latest episode which was actually the best of the show to date because they finally presented characters who had human motivations, other than Viserys, who's been the most human, but also the most one-note. This is the episode that finally emulated Game of Thrones, in that people were showing actual emotions other than teenage angst. This is where the machinations actually happened. Everything else has just been a lead-in to this, the most interesting moment in the last month-and-a-half. If they'd done the first five episodes in a two-hour movie that just showed us how we got here and then started the actual story (which they presented last night) three weeks ago, you might have a show worth talking about. As it is, I think they've waited too long to make it anything other than a poor reflection of the show that inspired it.

That said, I can certainly understand Shellhead's disaffection with the characters since, like Succession, they're all assholes of one kind or another. I'm fine with that, as it's part of Succession's appeal. You watch in morbid curiosity of just how much more of an asshole everyone can be (and they're often so much so that it's hilarious.) In this case, I don't think any of these characters are as well-formed as the ones on Succession, so I don't think they'll be able to reach the same depths... but they could have been, if the FIRST HALF OF THE SEASON hadn't just been a prologue. Whichever studio exec was the one who decided that the first FIVE episodes had to be an explanation of how we got here should be shot (or at least fired.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
26 Sep 2022 23:48 #335765 by jason10mm
Fair point. I'm rather glad we didn't get all the young Rhaenyra stuff as flashbacks cut throughout the season but you probably could trim a bit. But for the later stuff to hit really hard, I think knowing the set-up well will help.

Did we NEED to see Daemon taking the Stepstones, or could we have just heard brief mention of it? How much of Cole and Rhaenyra's past is relevant? I'd argue they have already cut the younger girls relationships to the bone, they could have stretched Milly Alcock out through some of Rhaenyras early pregnancies if they wanted (by book time they are, right now, at Rhaenyra at 23, Alcock is 22) but that would mean they fed into GRRMs lust for 15 year old pregnant brides.

More
28 Sep 2022 09:31 #335782 by hotseatgames
I finished Narco-Saints on Netflix. Even though it's only 6 (rather long) episodes, I'm afraid I can't recommend it. You'd be better off starting Narcos again.

More
29 Sep 2022 06:04 #335802 by mtagge
Got one more episode in The Orville. That third season is amazing and they are hitting them all out of the park with really provoking episodes. It's a shame there won't be any more.

Rings of Power is a bit frustrating in that Galadriel an entirely unlikeable character and to say the writers don't care about the timeline of events would be an understatement. It's still enjoyable if you can detach your brain entirely from logic, but if you are one of those people who wants your TV shows to make sense it is pretty garbage.

Andor is alright. First two episodes show him as a truly horrible person after that it starts to show him as a man who is turned to a "good" person by getting dragged into the rebellion. The settings and set designs are stunningly well done. I love that it is not Tatooine and there are no Jedi nor Skywalkers. It's filled with real people doing things for realistic reasons.

Gave up on She-Hulk a while ago. That thing was pure hot garbage.

I gotta say I understand why streaming services are having problems with people subbing, bingeing, then cancelling. I hate the weekly single episode releases of these shows. Me and my family are not exactly TV addicts, we sit down to watch an hour of TV after the kids are showered maybe four times a week. Over two services we don't have enough content to fill that demand without going to some back catalog item. Basically if they want people to subscribe the entire year, I feel they need to put out more than a month's worth of content every year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm, BillyBobThwarton

More
29 Sep 2022 09:27 - 29 Sep 2022 09:47 #335803 by Disgustipater

mtagge wrote: Got one more episode in The Orville. That third season is amazing

I felt like there were too many "overly dramatic world changing events" episodes. I miss the week to week adventures. I really liked the episode with Gordon going back in time, and I cannot emphasize how happy I am that the Kaylon stuff is done and over with, hopefully to never be visited again.

One of my main gripes with it, and seemingly most shows or creators that move to streaming after being on network TV, is that they have no time limit restriction and the episodes are way too long. There are so many overly long and lingering shots that don't add anything in my opinion. Limitations foster creativity and all that.
I really hope the Futurama reboot doesn't fall into the same trap.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2022 09:47 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
29 Sep 2022 10:18 #335804 by jason10mm

mtagge wrote: I gotta say I understand why streaming services are having problems with people subbing, bingeing, then cancelling. I hate the weekly single episode releases of these shows. ....Basically if they want people to subscribe the entire year, I feel they need to put out more than a month's worth of content every year.

I think, as the streaming model evolves, that we will start to see "Seasonal availability" of shows to target the monthly bingers. So "Stranger Things" is only available from July to Nov, stuff like that. Sort of a new spin on Disney vaulting their DVD releases to manufacture artificial scarcity.

My problem is that I hear of a cool show, it's on a service I don't have, and guaranteed within a week I'll have either forgotten the show or forgotten where it is. Or we start something after some random thumbing through catalogues and then forget where it was, it falls off the front page, and we never go back. I imagine there are entire departments at these services that can analyze viewer habits down to the second to better combat disinterest. That kind of data was hard to get before, but now they know exactly how many viewers nope out after a specific scene or stretch of time without action, etc to better build their algorithm for making addictive programming.

I also suspect they scrutinize scenes where viewers go back and rewatch, over and over, to better build a profile of said viewer....then they know when the dialogue was too garbled, yeah, that's the reason :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, mtagge

More
01 Oct 2022 07:17 - 01 Oct 2022 07:18 #335852 by mtagge
Watched the latest Rings of Power last night and I gotta say I'm out. I can't take it anymore. The writing is just clown-shoes at this point it's so ridiculous. Near as I can tell the writers were trying to evoke the Battle of Helm's Deep in spirit, but it doesn't work because they work on Schrodinger's reality (if you cannot current see something on screen at this moment anything is possible, including the cat is a rat).

Warning: Spoiler!

That's the episode folks. I don't expect the writers to be engineers, and I am okay with time dilation for the purpose of story telling (although West World's extreme use of it to confuse on purpose was stupid to me), but I do need outcomes from one scene to effect the possibilities of the following scenes. Otherwise each individual scene is meaningless.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2022 07:18 by mtagge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, fightcitymayor

More
03 Oct 2022 08:46 #335884 by RobertB
House of the Dragon: much better than last week. Explained a few things to the dummies in the audience, like me. Everyone's now picked sides, and are ready to rumble.

More
03 Oct 2022 09:32 #335886 by Msample
I read an excellent comparison/description of HOUSE OF THE DRAGON the other day. It’s basically SUCCESSION with wigs. Both feature unsympathetic characters fighting over a company/Iron Throne, headed by an aging patriarch.

More
03 Oct 2022 09:45 #335887 by jason10mm
HotD is KILLING IT! I don't wanna draw comparisons to another on-air big budget fantasy show but WOW.

GRRM almost maliciously punished "good" characters in ASOIAF because it's pretty clear in history that "doing the nice thing" often just gets you exploited and/or killed. In HotD at least you have clear motives linked to self-survival, no one is going out of their way to hurt others, well, at least not crossing the street to hurt others.

Looks like they are setting Aemon up to be the closest to a moustache twirling (maybe eyepatch tapping) bad guy but even he, so far, shows humanity when it leaks out of a teenage boys psyche.

More
03 Oct 2022 10:17 - 03 Oct 2022 10:18 #335895 by jpat

RobertB wrote: House of the Dragon: much better than last week. Explained a few things to the dummies in the audience, like me. Everyone's now picked sides, and are ready to rumble.

I'm a week behind, but about halfway through ep. 6 (not this week's, but last week's) I was thinking a Wikipedia entry would've been more interesting to me.

Far from a hot take at this point, and probably far from the majority opinion, but I feel like I have to give some props to the conclusion of s3 of Star Trek: Discovery, the season before the most recent one. I feel as though the show climbed up from pretty terrible (s1) to not quite so bad (s2) to middling but watchable (s3). The plot holes are still there; there's too much action for my taste relative to any meaningful engagement with the concept of "Star Trek"; there are any number of times where the writers think what they've written is cooler/edgier/whatnot than what it is. But fair's fair. They took some chances here, including giving Michael a much-needed personality transplant (not a knock on the actress; it's just what she was given to work with) and moving us out of prequel territory. It's still kind of garbage, but it's not Picard-level garbage (at least Disco s3).
Last edit: 03 Oct 2022 10:18 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
04 Oct 2022 05:31 - 04 Oct 2022 05:31 #335940 by sornars
I'm late to the party but I enjoyed Cyberpunk Edgerunners. They do a lot of make you care about the characters in a relatively short space of time. The story itself is nothing special but it does its job in delivering its message. The world building is cool and the animation great. I had no exposure to the IP but after watching it I wish I could tolerate first person shooters because I'd like to play the game. I guess as a tie-in medium, mission accomplished for CD Projekt Red.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2022 05:31 by sornars.

More
04 Oct 2022 10:18 #335948 by Shellhead
Have been re-watching season one of Los Espookys, in preparation for the recently-released season two on HBO. Very amusing show about some Mexican goths who like to stage spooky paranormal occurrences for fun and profit. Lorne Michaels (Saturday Night Live) is one of the producers. The show is fun, and the humor is both dry and eccentric. My favorite character is Tati, a delightfully clueless woman who is perpetually broke and working multiple jobs, including helping this spooky crew. There is also Andres, a delightfully bitchy blue-haired homosexual who delivered my favorite line in deadpan: "I hear what you're saying. And it makes perfect sense. But I'll keep insisting on this idea as if I never heard you.” When characters speak in Spanish, there are English subtitles. When characters speak in English, there are Spanish subtitles. I took three years of Spanish in school, so I find the show easy to follow. But my ex didn't know any Spanish and she was the one who got me hooked on the show, so she clearly had no problem with the subtitles.

More
04 Oct 2022 10:19 #335949 by RobertB

sornars wrote: I'm late to the party but I enjoyed Cyberpunk Edgerunners. They do a lot of make you care about the characters in a relatively short space of time. The story itself is nothing special but it does its job in delivering its message. The world building is cool and the animation great. I had no exposure to the IP but after watching it I wish I could tolerate first person shooters because I'd like to play the game. I guess as a tie-in medium, mission accomplished for CD Projekt Red.

My daughter didn't like it; she thought it had too much gratuitous T&A, and stopped watching. I told her the combination of anime, the Cyberpunk universe, and the natural inclination of Projekt Red was going to push the show in that direction, but she wasn't buying it.

For those of you interested in watching it, be warned that you will see animated nudity.

And CDPR should have pushed for that show a couple of years ago, although it may still rev up the franchise a little bit.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.339 seconds