October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
04 Oct 2022 15:41 #335966 by Gregarius
I watched the first episode of Dahmer on Netflix 'cause, you know, Halloween, serial killers, cannibals, etc.

It was actually pretty good. It felt like it was a real-time recreation of one of his kills. The suspense just kept ratcheting up, a nice slow burn. Not much gore (yet). I'm definitely in for the next episode or two.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2022 17:11 #335970 by jason10mm

RobertB wrote:

sornars wrote: I'm late to the party but I enjoyed Cyberpunk Edgerunners. They do a lot of make you care about the characters in a relatively short space of time. The story itself is nothing special but it does its job in delivering its message. The world building is cool and the animation great. I had no exposure to the IP but after watching it I wish I could tolerate first person shooters because I'd like to play the game. I guess as a tie-in medium, mission accomplished for CD Projekt Red.

My daughter didn't like it; she thought it had too much gratuitous T&A, and stopped watching. I told her the combination of anime, the Cyberpunk universe, and the natural inclination of Projekt Red was going to push the show in that direction, but she wasn't buying it.

For those of you interested in watching it, be warned that you will see animated nudity.

And CDPR should have pushed for that show a couple of years ago, although it may still rev up the franchise a little bit.

Just remember, most, if not all the nudity, is cyborg bodies, not actual flesh. So being naked sorta fits if they are just walking around. But yeah, there is some sexual content.

There is also EXTREME VIOLENCE AND GORE, so a little animated nipple seems like the wrong concern but to each their own, we have had this discussion.

I'm just glad the show had a 2d feel, I hope they continue the appleseed or ghost in the shell stuff more in this style.

More
05 Oct 2022 09:41 - 05 Oct 2022 09:42 #335981 by RobertB
I think it was the gratuitous part of 'gratuitous nudity' that offended her. She's watching GoT with her mom, for the third (?) time, and that show puts the sex in 'sexposition'. But like all of us, she has her own ideas about what she does and doesn't like.

I did tell her, when we discussed the show, that if she didn't like boobs in her Cyberpunk, she really wouldn't like the video game.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2022 09:42 by RobertB. Reason: Only two l's in really

More
05 Oct 2022 23:10 #335993 by Shellhead
I finally realized what has been bothering me about House of the Dragon: it's a soap opera. Sure, fantasy elements, which makes it kin to Dark Shadows. Game of Thrones had a similar mixture of drama and action (to House of the Dragon), but the epic scope of the show made it an epic drama with a lot of action. By focusing on a single house in a few locations, House of the Dragon is giving us a soap opera, albeit one with obligatory action every episode. This latest episode was another deliberate and slightly ponderous step towards an inevitable civil war. I was impressed by the opening funeral and reception scene, for managing to stay somewhat interesting despite a near total absence of dialogue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
06 Oct 2022 09:42 #335994 by fightcitymayor

mtagge wrote: Watched the latest Rings of Power last night and I gotta say I'm out. I can't take it anymore. The writing is just clown-shoes at this point it's so ridiculous.

And maybe the worst part of Rings Of Power being mostly terrible is the fact that it has nothing to do with black elves/dwarves/hobbits but everything to do with awful storytelling and wooden acting performances. But because it's the alt-right racist incel brigade who yell the loudest, then the media will run with the narrative of: Rings Of Power failed due to TOO MUCH WOKE!!!

More
06 Oct 2022 09:58 #335996 by RobertB
I still haven't decided if I want to give up on Rings of Power or not. Last Friday's is still in the queue. It's boring me to tears, but it sure is pretty.

I watched the last ten minutes of The Real Love Boat last night, because I like The Amazing Race that follows it. Jerry O'Connell's face is seriously messed up. Plastic surgery gone completely haywire messed up.

And if you're ever going to be on The Amazing Race, practice reading a paper map and driving a stick. They make you drive a standard at least once in every show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Smeagol

More
06 Oct 2022 14:34 #336002 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote: I finally realized what has been bothering me about House of the Dragon: it's a soap opera. Sure, fantasy elements, which makes it kin to Dark Shadows. Game of Thrones had a similar mixture of drama and action (to House of the Dragon), but the epic scope of the show made it an epic drama with a lot of action. By focusing on a single house in a few locations, House of the Dragon is giving us a soap opera, albeit one with obligatory action every episode. This latest episode was another deliberate and slightly ponderous step towards an inevitable civil war. I was impressed by the opening funeral and reception scene, for managing to stay somewhat interesting despite a near total absence of dialogue.

The sad thing is that there is NO WAY IN HELL we get even a fraction of the battles coming, either in number or in scale. There were MASSIVE fights in the Dance of the Dragons that make the stuff in GoT seem like border skirmishes (which is what many of them were within the scope of the show). We ought to get most of the dragon on dragon stuff, but I'm expecting to see shots of a dragon doing a fly over of about 10 dudes standing in for 100s getting melted.

This is almost a time I kinda want to go back to the BattleStar Galactica type stock footage thing. HBO films 1 REALLY GOOD battle, then they just reuse bits of it over and over each ep :P As a kid I would practically recite the entire BG fight sequence list from memory because they reused them so often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

More
07 Oct 2022 13:40 #336015 by Joebot
Anybody else watching Andor? I am beyond surprised at how much I'm enjoying this show so far. I barely even remembered who the character was when they first announced the show. Andor?!? Weren't they the blue guys with the antenna in Star Trek?

The first two episodes are a slow burn, and I would encourage anyone trying it out to stick around until the third episode which has a terrific action sequence. Tense and exciting, with clear geography. And they took a squad of nameless grunts, and simply by allowing them to show their faces (unlike, say, stormtroopers), managed to turn them into characters by the end.

The subsequent two episodes flip back to the slower, character-building, world-building stuff, but again there's that sense that things are building as the rebels prepare for a big heist. Man, I love a good heist. Next week's episode promises to be a banger.

The show is just shockingly competent. After the absolute garbage fires of Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan, I didn't think Disney was capable of making a Star Wars show this good. The cast is excellent, and the production design looks amazing. The really smart thing they did was make the Empire the true bad guys again. Sure, the Empire is evil and oppressive, but it's also a dehumanizing bureaucracy whose tolerance for casual brutality seems limitless.

And there's not a single lightsaber, Jedi, or Force-user to be found anywhere! No digital Luke Skywalker abomination. Just a smart, tense spy / sci-fi show that oh yeah, happens to be set in the Star Wars universe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
07 Oct 2022 14:03 #336016 by Gregarius
Agreed. I like it a lot.

Am I the only one who liked Obi Wan?

More
07 Oct 2022 15:18 #336017 by jason10mm
I'm gonna do Andor in three week bursts because it sounds like weekly is torture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
07 Oct 2022 16:43 #336019 by dysjunct

Gregarius wrote: Agreed. I like it a lot.

Am I the only one who liked Obi Wan?

I thought it was okay, but lacked tension because you already know the fate of the characters, even the minor ones. Also it has the normal/annoying SW fanservice of "hey look, it's this character you know and love!"

But I'm also liking She-Hulk, which puts me pretty far out of step with the cognoscenti.

More
07 Oct 2022 17:03 #336023 by Shellhead

dysjunct wrote: But I'm also liking She-Hulk, which puts me pretty far out of step with the cognoscenti.

I have mostly heard good things about She-Hulk, and the harshest critics seem to have serious issues with women in general.

More
07 Oct 2022 17:07 #336024 by Jackwraith

dysjunct wrote: But I'm also liking She-Hulk, which puts me pretty far out of step with the cognoscenti.

We just picked up Disney+ and haven't spent a ton of time with it so far, but I watched the first episode of She-Hulk based on chatter here and because Gail Simone is a vocal fan on Twitter. I thought it was... OK? So, my standards for humor are not really in the same vein as a lot of other people. I hear others constantly rave about Harley Quinn and I watched the first couple episodes and didn't crack a smile. Super-villains talking about sex and relationships? Been there. Seen it. Decades ago. I don't understand what makes that show so innovative for people. If you want a sci-fi cartoon that takes risks and is genuinely funny, give me Archer or Rick and Morty or another half-dozen veterans of Adult Swim.

So, I went into She-Hulk feeling kind of (ahem) jaded, but there were some good moments to go along with the "superheroes solve every argument by knocking each other across the room!" routine. I was ambivalent about continuing with it, but if you think there's something there, I could probably give it another episode or two. I think part of my problem is that I'm pretty done with superheroes, in general. I've never even seen Endgame and haven't seen anything after that, either. But I heard a lot of good things about Loki and Wandavision, so maybe there's something a bit more interesting about episodic stuff than the big explosions that the films seem to require.

More
07 Oct 2022 19:27 #336026 by dysjunct
I was/am a big fan of the Dan Slott run on the comic, which the show draws very heavily from. And I'm a fan of low-stakes superhero shows generally -- the more street-level stuff that deals with relationships and neighborhoods is more interesting to me than saving the universe again.

So the show is kind of tailor made for me. It's not truly great TV, and I doubt I'll rewatch it, but it's good popcorn entertainment that strikes sufficiently different notes from most superhero stuff to stand out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
07 Oct 2022 21:28 #336028 by Greg Aleknevicus

Gregarius wrote: Am I the only one who liked Obi Wan?

Note to writers: If you need a character to survive, don't stab them through the chest with a lightsaber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds