October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
16 Oct 2022 18:37 #336195 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I thought She-Hulk was the second best Marvel series after Wandavision. Quite funny and generally finds the right balance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2022 04:15 #336198 by san il defanso
I still haven't seen She-Hulk yet, but I have yet to see an MCU show that I don't think would be better served by just being a two-hour movie. Maybe She-Hulk will break that streak, I don't know.

It took me until the Year of Our Lord 2022 to start watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and I mourn the long wasted years beforehand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars, charlest, Virabhadra

More
17 Oct 2022 10:05 #336208 by Shellhead
Even though I am not caught up on Pennysworth yet, I gave the first two episodes of Gotham a try. The writing and the acting isn't quite as good as Pennysworth, despite the relatively high-caliber cast of Gotham. Benjamin McKenzie is a solid lead playing Detective Jim Gordon, except that Donal Logue keeps stealing scenes as his partner Detective Harvey Bullock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
17 Oct 2022 10:51 #336212 by RobertB
Every time I see Donal Logue I think of him as Deacon Frost's punk-ass flunky in Blade. That might be because I've seen Blade about 50 times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
17 Oct 2022 11:03 #336214 by Shellhead
Every time I see Donal Logue, I think of his character from Grounded for Life, a slightly warped family sitcom from the early '00s.

More
17 Oct 2022 17:41 #336222 by Jackwraith
I enjoyed Gotham, but agree with the general perception that it carried on a bit too long. The last season especially was clearly just a way to wrap up storylines as quickly as possible and with as loud a bang as possible, which is something of a disservice to the patient character development that was the hallmark of much of the earlier material. It wasn't Breaking Bad, but it also wasn't typically slapdash superhero stuff. I think it's definitely worth watching the first season to see if it sinks into you.

More
17 Oct 2022 20:21 #336223 by Msample
I think in retrospect 22 episode seasons were too long for the genre - it forced them to either pad existing characters stories and/or introduce silly one off villains of the week. 13 ep seasons would have been perfect IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
18 Oct 2022 03:59 #336227 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

Shellhead wrote: Every time I see Donal Logue, I think of his character from Grounded for Life, a slightly warped family sitcom from the early '00s.

Me too. Quite liked that show, it just managed to hit a little different while appearing to be a standard one of the era.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
18 Oct 2022 09:05 - 18 Oct 2022 10:05 #336232 by RobertB
House of the Dragon - parts of it were really good, and parts of it were really dumb. IMO the writers painted themselves into a corner, and the showrunners kind of handwaved about why certain things didn't happen *makes wanking gesture*.

Rings of Power - as with HotD, parts were okay and parts were dumb; more dumb than okay. However, they did open all of the mystery boxes.

The Imperfects - finished the series last night. Has a Joss Whedon smartass feel, which I liked. I don't think I'm the target audience, but I was entertained. They left the hooks in for a second season, but from what I've read Netflix hasn't renewed it.

ETA: Spoilers for HotD:
Warning: Spoiler!

Spoilers for RoP:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2022 10:05 by RobertB. Reason: Spoilers, cleanup

More
18 Oct 2022 10:10 #336236 by Shellhead

mc wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Every time I see Donal Logue, I think of his character from Grounded for Life, a slightly warped family sitcom from the early '00s.

Me too. Quite liked that show, it just managed to hit a little different while appearing to be a standard one of the era.

I am four episodes into Gotham and liking it well enough to keep going.

Good comedians have a knack for delivering a punchline that can carry over into acting, and I feel that Donal's sitcom experience is the reason why he keeps stealing scenes in Gotham. It would have been very easy to cast a mediocre actor as Bullock, because it would be easy to play a lazy, cynical, corrupt cop. But Donal brings a certain liveliness to the part, almost an enthusiasm for predicting and seeing people behave badly.

I have never been a fan of Jada Pinkett-Smith, and have long avoided her work because of memories of her dreadful voice on A Different World. It was like a horrid cross between a southern church lady accent and fingernails on the chalkboard sounds. But she sounds fine on Gotham and carries her scenes well.

More
18 Oct 2022 13:53 #336244 by jason10mm

RobertB wrote: ETA: Spoilers for HotD:

Yeah, that scene was the one REALLY big misstep for this show for me. Whoever made that call was going for the "Ep9 is always NUTS" meta of the show instead of what worked for the scene. If it was action they felt they needed, there could have been a lot more dark corner shanking of Greens and Blacks.

RobertB wrote: Spoilers for RoP:

I've given up expecting any logic from RoP. I watch it for the beautiful vistas and cinematography in any non-action sequence. It is sloppy in dialogue, ranging from blathering highbrow nonsense delivered with a painful earnest grimace to persistent contradiction of a character from scene to scene. I doubt it will improve in S2, but maybe they can at least construct a decent action scene as they have whiffed on every one so far. I can only imagine what the dwarves versus a Balrog is gonna look like with this current production team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, RobertB, Msample, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
18 Oct 2022 14:55 #336249 by Gregarius

RobertB wrote: House of the Dragon - parts of it were really good, and parts of it were really dumb. IMO the writers painted themselves into a corner, and the showrunners kind of handwaved about why certain things didn't happen *makes wanking gesture*.

There's still one episode left, so that wasn't the finale.
Also:

I like how they treat Rhaenys as the one person trying to stay out of everything. All the GoT stuff seems to revolve around "In the game of thrones, you win, or you die." Rhaenys is trying hard not to play, and so far has stayed alive. It's a nice counterpoint to all the intrigue and death everyone else is wrapped up in. Were her actions bad choices? Probably, in the long run, but they were true to her character. People are flawed.

It makes sense to me, anyway, no hand gestures required.

More
18 Oct 2022 15:51 - 18 Oct 2022 16:13 #336251 by RobertB

Gregarius wrote:

RobertB wrote: House of the Dragon - parts of it were really good, and parts of it were really dumb. IMO the writers painted themselves into a corner, and the showrunners kind of handwaved about why certain things didn't happen *makes wanking gesture*.

There's still one episode left, so that wasn't the finale.
Also:

I like how they treat Rhaenys as the one person trying to stay out of everything. All the GoT stuff seems to revolve around "In the game of thrones, you win, or you die." Rhaenys is trying hard not to play, and so far has stayed alive. It's a nice counterpoint to all the intrigue and death everyone else is wrapped up in. Were her actions bad choices? Probably, in the long run, but they were true to her character. People are flawed.

It makes sense to me, anyway, no hand gestures required.

I was being a smartass and saying the show would have ended right there.

Yet more

ETA: the spousal unit weighs in:

Last edit: 18 Oct 2022 16:13 by RobertB.

More
19 Oct 2022 02:32 #336263 by Gary Sax
I'm a bit behind you all, but I thought the 8th episode was really good of house of the dragon. It just works a lot better when it's personal bullshit between them, and it really helps that the guy playing Viserys (what's left of him) is just a good actor.

More
19 Oct 2022 09:15 #336271 by jason10mm

RobertB wrote: ETA: the spousal unit weighs in:

Yeah, the move gets Rhaenys back where she is supposed to be, and if

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.941 seconds