October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
27 Oct 2022 19:32 #336457 by jason10mm
The horror anthology Cabinet of Curiosities ahem, sorry, Guillermo Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities on netflix is pretty fun. 3 eps in (a new one every day till halloween I think) and they are all at least slickly done. The first, a demonic auction tale, is all build up and no real payoff (other than tentacle madness, I suppose) other than "being mean is bad" in a very lazy way. But the second, graveyard rats, is just fun. Very lovecraftian, it shows why the 1920's is the best setting for this stuff. The third though...a Michael Shae tale written by David S. Goyer "The Autopsy" is just fantastic. Wierd, creepy, body horrific, and just damned cool. If this ascending quality holds, the rest are gonna be awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2022 09:03 #336464 by hotseatgames
Episode 4 of Cabinet was not to my liking, especially when compared to the first 3, but it was still well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
28 Oct 2022 15:54 #336480 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: Episode 4 of Cabinet was not to my liking, especially when compared to the first 3, but it was still well done.

Agreed, it was 20 minutes of content and 20 minutes of appreciation for that ladys make-up effect.

"Pickman's Model" is pretty damned good, though it adds a lot to the story that kinda distracts from the message. Then again, spoilers for a 90 year old short,
Warning: Spoiler!

More
30 Oct 2022 13:37 - 30 Oct 2022 22:42 #336498 by Jackwraith
Wrote about the first three episodes of Cabinet:
dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2022/10/c...rcise-of-horror.html
Last edit: 30 Oct 2022 22:42 by Jackwraith.

More
31 Oct 2022 06:12 #336501 by Legomancer
My lady friend has never seen I, Claudius and we are fixing the hell out of that.

If you haven't seen it, it's on Amazon Prime (I have the DVD set) and it is a FUCKING HOOT. Made in the 70s by the BBC, it stars EVERYBODY. Derek Jacobi, Sian Phillips, Brian Blessed, Patrick Stewart, John Hurt, Patricia Quinn, and a host of other "oh hey is that that guy from..."s. It's about the intrigue surrounding the Roman imperial family starting with Augustus and going thru Claudius' death. And it is a WILD fuckin ride, fun, funny, and dramatic. One of the best series ever made, all packed into ten one-hour episodes, with those classic 70s BBC production values.

Try the first episode and if Augustus and Livia don't grab you right away then go back to your Rings of Dragons. But I'm betting it will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, BillyBobThwarton

More
31 Oct 2022 10:55 #336504 by Jackwraith
Was gifted it for Christmas on DVD about 25 years ago and still have it because I've done exactly what you have with a couple people since then (e.g. "You have to watch this!") Wish I could find a decently-priced copy of Masada from a few years later (Peter O'Toole AND Peter Strauss, plus David Warner.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
31 Oct 2022 11:50 #336506 by Gregarius

Legomancer wrote: My lady friend has never seen I, Claudius and we are fixing the hell out of that.

Try the first episode and if Augustus and Livia don't grab you right away then go back to your Rings of Dragons. But I'm betting it will.

Years ago there was a local video store that offered a money-back guarantee to anyone who rented it and didn't enjoy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
31 Oct 2022 12:06 #336510 by Sagrilarus
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

I don't have the pistol for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
31 Oct 2022 23:45 #336529 by jason10mm

Sagrilarus wrote: Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

I don't have the pistol for it.

I wonder if it would still work on a modern TV. IIRC it used kinda rainbow silvery colored patches for you to "shoot" at and flashes of light to shoot back. Probably would still work on a led TV as I think the toy was independent of the TV.

As opposed to old light gun games like duck hunt. The crt tvs allowed for line scanning to determine where you were aming, I believe.

More
01 Nov 2022 10:35 #336533 by the_jake_1973
Derry Girls S3 has lost much of the magic present in the first two seasons. I'm a little meh on it now.

Cabinet of Curiosities was well produced. but not much better than a Tales from the Darkside in shiny paint. I would have preferred the show to use stories from Aaron Mahnke's Cabinet of Curiosities podcast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Nov 2022 11:20 #336534 by hotseatgames
I finished Cabinet of Curiosities. All 8 of them are well produced, although they didn't all land for me. I liked The Viewing the most, by far.

More
01 Nov 2022 12:33 #336535 by Michael Barnes
That one is directed by Panos Cosmatos and written by Aaron Stewart-Anh, the same team that gave us Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy. It is amazing. I was just blown away by the production decision, the music, the tone, the atmosphere. And Peter Weller in particular was excellent. It really could have been a feature.

I just have the last one to watch, I think every episode has been outstanding. I had heard some were disappointed in Pickman's Model and Dreams in the Witch House but I thought both were excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
01 Nov 2022 12:44 #336536 by hotseatgames
Crispin Glover does not age, apparently.

More
01 Nov 2022 23:04 #336543 by Jackwraith
Wrote about the next three of Cabinet: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2022/10/hpl-and-modernists.html

They've all been pretty solid, with little flaws here and there, some of which are technical, the others just a matter of taste or preference, I think. None of them has blown me away.

More
02 Nov 2022 03:21 #336546 by san il defanso
I hadn't realized/forgot that there were two new seasons of Tuca & Bertie on HBO Max, after it got cancelled from Netflix. I had forgotten how great that show was, so I'm watching it with my wife now. Still very funny, and a funny counterpoint to Bojack Horseman. Instead of woe-is-me darkness from that show, it's so much more bright and colorful, with a very inventive animation style that I find so refreshing after the blander animation we get in most shows these days.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.604 seconds