October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
08 Feb 2023 16:50 #338260 by charlest
Yes, I mentioned on these forums a couple years ago that Unbelievable is basically a new True Detective season. I enjoyed it more than season three.

Mindhunter is great. There were a few articles detailing that Fincher may come back to it at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2023 16:53 #338261 by Jackwraith
Another chime in for both Mindhunter and Unbelievable. Both were great, although I'd put Mindhunter first. Was really hoping that Fincher would keep it going or at least complete what had been laid out.

More
09 Feb 2023 03:13 #338273 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
So my partner is someone who must watch the whole thing, can't leave unfinished etc. I mentioned we've been watching the X-Files, probably months ago or more. Fortunately I have convinced her of the need to intersperse it with other stuff cos really I've tuned out of most of it, usually doing a bit of work or browsing or whatever while it's on (why did I ever suggest this?). Anyway we're now up to Season 7 and it is BATSHIT crazy, i never saw any of these. I saw commentary that says this was considered a bad season of it, they'd lost it, gone too corny etc etc. No way, it's been great. That COPS episode, incredible. I'm convinced it's the best season by a mile. (My partner does not agree LOL )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Nodens

More
09 Feb 2023 08:05 #338275 by Legomancer

mc wrote: So my partner is someone who must watch the whole thing, can't leave unfinished etc. I mentioned we've been watching the X-Files, probably months ago or more. Fortunately I have convinced her of the need to intersperse it with other stuff cos really I've tuned out of most of it, usually doing a bit of work or browsing or whatever while it's on (why did I ever suggest this?). Anyway we're now up to Season 7 and it is BATSHIT crazy, i never saw any of these. I saw commentary that says this was considered a bad season of it, they'd lost it, gone too corny etc etc. No way, it's been great. That COPS episode, incredible. I'm convinced it's the best season by a mile. (My partner does not agree LOL )

Jesus, watching all of X-Files isn't a challenge, it's a lost bet.

I tried a few years ago to do it. Every season has way too many episodes and a lot of them are junk or at best just boring. If you make the conscious choice to avoid the "mythology" episodes (which you should because they're a never-ending source of shitty storytelling and frustration) and only stick to the good MOTW eps, you'll do fine, but in general it's a series that just didn't age very well. 9/11 really did a number on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Msample, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2023 09:12 #338276 by ChristopherMD
Just watch the first X-Files movie and skip the show. It was peak X-Files in the best and worst ways.

More
10 Feb 2023 03:49 #338286 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Yep. Lost bet haha. Like I said I basically skip the mythos (read.... fall asleep/do some work/browse the net/read) and watch the monsters.

The movie sent me to sleep though. But I remember thinking, holy shit, this was deemed cinema worthy?

And yeah we don't binge and watch other stuff. It's a slow process. We will cleanse the palette soon and I'm hoping it just falls by the wayside but like I said she's committed to finishing stuff usually.

More
10 Feb 2023 09:24 #338289 by Shellhead
There were some great standalone episodes of the X-Files, but the ongoing conspiracy stuff was tedious. I would rather binge re-watch The Lone Gunmen. I only saw a couple of episodes, but they were surprisingly funny. I did try to binge Millennium a few years ago while I was unemployed, but aside from a very edgy pilot episode, it was slow, sad, and dull.

More
11 Feb 2023 14:56 #338296 by Jackwraith
Latest episode of The Last of Us was easily the best of rhe series so far. Brilliant performances, beginning to end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Msample, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
11 Feb 2023 17:28 #338297 by hotseatgames
Agreed, it had it all.

More
11 Feb 2023 17:37 #338298 by n815e
I quickly ran through Cunk on Earth’s five episodes and if you are a fan of the character and/or mockumentories then you’ll probably enjoy it. I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Nodens

More
13 Feb 2023 13:54 #338311 by Shellhead
In 1994, I started playing Jyhad, which is now known as Vampire: the Eternal Struggle. I soon got into a regular play group, which started out in a local game store, but soon added a weeknight session at somebody's apartment. His girlfriend liked to watch tv in the same room where we played, and so it came to pass that we all watched the first season of Friends, including the pilot episode. And even after our gaming schedule went through some changes, most of us continued to watch the show on our own time. I eventually gave up on the show, maybe after 4th season, when the lack of diversity suddenly became blatant. Two minority characters were introduced that season (something similar happened with a lot of network tv shows that season) and then written out by the end of the season. It wasn't as awful as Zoe, Duncan, Jack and Jane, where a token black guy joined the cast (but not the name of the show), and routinely delivered lines that were completely ignored by the rest of the characters as though he was invisible.

So, HBO Max is currently airing all of Friends, and I decided to re-watch the pilot episode with fresh eyes. It was better than I remembered, but not amazing. The characters are all fully-developed immediately, except that Rachel didn't have her iconic hairstyle yet, and Joey's hair was practically a bowl cut. The humor was edgy and funny by 1994 network standards, but didn't make me laugh out loud. But it was clearly good enough for mainstream audiences, and lasted for a decade. I don't plan on binging it, but the nostalgia was mildly pleasant.

More
25 Feb 2023 07:23 - 25 Feb 2023 11:34 #338457 by Virabhadra
Des and I caught up with a work friend last night and ended up being shown the first episodes of both Station Eleven and Russian Doll.

Russian Doll is probably fine, but I have Harley Quinn fatigue and didn't find the lead or plot compelling. I don't have Netflix so I'll probably never see another episode. Kinda cool to put a face to the voice of Gaz Digby from Ballmasterz 9009 though.

Station Eleven was actually bad, which is a shame because the guy who plays Jeevan was great in his small Avenue 5 role. Prison Break-levels of subtlety. That said, it also has the disadvantage of being introduced to me in the middle of watching Last of Us, which is a superior post-apocalyptic trip in every single way, and post-rewatching The Leftovers, which is... a superior post-apocalyptic trip in every way.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2023 11:34 by Virabhadra.

More
25 Feb 2023 11:30 #338459 by Gregarius
I never got into Russian Doll, but I couldn't disagree more about Station Eleven. I thought it was great all the way through.

More
25 Feb 2023 13:09 #338461 by Jackwraith
For the sports fans among you, Bad Sport on Netflix is a great six-part documentary series about various scandals in the sports world. I've watched the first four and they've all been great and have gone from one end of the sporting universe to the other. They've covered the Arizona State basketball betting scandal, Randy Lanier selling weed to get to the Indy 500, the Calciopoli scandal in Italian football, and the figure skating judging at the 2002 Winter Olympics. I'm not even interested in auto racing or figure skating and they were still well-done episodes that were interesting the whole way through. I don't even know what the last two episodes are going to be about but I'm still kinda geeked to see them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
26 Feb 2023 19:47 #338464 by hotseatgames
I thought Station Eleven was great, and touching.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.867 seconds