October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 Mar 2023 15:30 #338572 by Shellhead
Too many seasons of Star Trek shows have featured a character that is either repressing or seeking to express their humanity despite their background. Spock (TOS), Data (Next Gen), and Seven of Nine (Voyager). I would instead like to see a Star Trek show introduce Lieutenant Mary Sue ( www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/dark/1000/marysue.htm ) and explore some different issues, like perfectionism, imposter syndrome, anxiety, and eating disorders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2023 15:52 #338574 by Gary Sax
Discovery has almost the exact character you discuss fwiw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Frohike

More
06 Mar 2023 17:37 #338577 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: Too many seasons of Star Trek shows have featured a character that is either repressing or seeking to express their humanity despite their background. Spock (TOS), Data (Next Gen), and Seven of Nine (Voyager). I would instead like to see a Star Trek show introduce Lieutenant Mary Sue ( www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/dark/1000/marysue.htm ) and explore some different issues, like perfectionism, imposter syndrome, anxiety, and eating disorders.

The first person to mention that all the Star Treks are the exact same show.

More
06 Mar 2023 18:30 #338578 by Greg Aleknevicus

Disgustipater wrote: With shorter seasons you also miss out on character development of the rest of the cast.

Then how do movies accomplish this with the equivalent of only 2-3 episodes? Consider Star Wars - A New Hope: In just over 120 minutes, you mostly learn about Luke, but you've also got another seven or so clearly defined characters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
06 Mar 2023 21:23 #338579 by Shellhead

Greg Aleknevicus wrote:

Disgustipater wrote: With shorter seasons you also miss out on character development of the rest of the cast.

Then how do movies accomplish this with the equivalent of only 2-3 episodes? Consider Star Wars - A New Hope: In just over 120 minutes, you mostly learn about Luke, but you've also got another seven or so clearly defined characters.

Luke was the only character who got any development at all in that movie. And as a franchise, Star Wars has a disappointing quantity of lackluster prequels and sequels. I personally count 2 good movies out of the main 9. Rogue One was also decent, but Solo was mediocre. It would be great if we could occasionally get more original science-fiction movies instead of endless variations of sequels.

Movies are often much better than old school episodic tv shows. Instead of minor variations on a basic idea stretched to fill a 22 episode season, a movie often comes in with a focused story, bigger stars, and a bigger budget. But a modern tv show from a premium channel can surpass most movies in storytelling though not budget. Instead of rushing to hit a few strong plot points in 120 minutes, a tv show can do actual character development and explore the setting, and even dabble in nuance instead of spelling everything out for the dimmest viewer. Maybe you didn't like Game of Thrones, but most viewers would easily choose it over very fantasy movie that wasn't part of the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter franchises. And even those movies couldn't tell a decent story in just 120 minutes.

More
06 Mar 2023 22:42 #338582 by Disgustipater
Apparently “character development” wasn’t the term I meant. I just want to see more of them. I miss all the other characters getting their own episodes, getting to do important things related to their characters. Maybe I just don’t want a serialized Star Trek? I hear Strange New Worlds is more “planet of the week” but I haven’t gotten around to watching that yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
06 Mar 2023 23:49 #338583 by jason10mm
I think there is room for more classic ensemble shows as well as plot driven tv. Shows like X-files and Fringe had character growth and meta-arcs without hitting a reset button at every credit roll. The recent Imperfects does it quite well. It's just faded a lot in favor of heavily serialized drama using lots of flashbacks, disjointed narrative, emotional beats over plot advancement, and other choices.

More
07 Mar 2023 01:16 - 07 Mar 2023 01:18 #338584 by Frohike
Those side episodes where a non-central character gets full development are some of my favorites. Matt in The Leftovers, Mike in several Better Call Saul eps, Beard in Ted Lasso, etc. (note: I'm still on Season 3 with Better Call Saul, don't spoil it for me. Also... what a great show).
Last edit: 07 Mar 2023 01:18 by Frohike.

More
07 Mar 2023 09:44 #338588 by n815e
All this Star Trek talk has me pulling out the TOS episodes now.

More
07 Mar 2023 16:50 #338592 by ChristopherMD
Into the Night - I'm a few episodes into this Belgian show (its on netflix) about people on a plane that have to keep flying west at night because the sun is killing everyone. Nothing mind-blowing with pretty standard group of strangers stuck together drama. But I'm digging it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
07 Mar 2023 20:30 - 07 Mar 2023 20:32 #338594 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: I recently re-watched the first seasons of both True Detective and Perry Mason. (Season two of Perry Mason starts this week on HBO.) Both shows feature a powerful combination of strong writing, good acting, a solid story, and actual character development. Both seasons clock in at 8 episodes each.

Perry Mason was pretty good. True Detective was IMO one of the best things HBO has ever shown.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2023 20:32 by RobertB.

More
08 Mar 2023 05:22 #338596 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Yeah, more and more I'm a hard disagree that all that room to move in prestige TV is a automatically a good thing.

I get that episodic reset is not interesting, character wise. But as others have pointed out, plenty of series that were more episodic still managed to do character development, and have arcs - they just managed to do that with contained episodes. Episodes where you'd go "remember that episode where.... " and people would know which one you meant. Episodes with a story - a resolution of whatever that focus was in that episode, as opposed to just some bridging narrative between other bridging narratives.

Because often I find with these kind of prestige series that it turns into a big blur with a fucktonne of filler, and, worse, the aimless drift from the writers when they don't know where they are going because will it be renewed or not, it all just shits me (or perhaps worse, bores me). Some are worse than soapies with the constant repetition of ideas. I end up hating most characters because of it.

Constraints can be good and lead to creative work arounds. Shackles off can lead to dross. Of course the reverse can be true.

Perhaps it's because I don't binge stuff. I'm still watching an episode a night of whatever it is I'm watching. Maybe you're supposed to just smash all the episodes out and just completely lose yourself in it for it to work. I don't know. But I know most of the time I end up not caring. I'll flick it on and not remember a single thing about last episode.

I've read in various places over the last few years that movies as a form are on their deathbed because of all this prestige TV. More and more I just want to watch a movie though. Tighter, no extra crap that exists just for its own sake, to make it longer, to explore some character for 5 hours with no resolution because, you know, next season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Gregarius, Nodens

More
08 Mar 2023 05:33 #338597 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Anyway I'm watching Twin Peaks which is probably the genesis of a lot of this stuff haha.

More
08 Mar 2023 08:29 #338598 by Nodens

mc wrote: Anyway I'm watching Twin Peaks which is probably the genesis of a lot of this stuff haha.

Good for you, at least with that show even David Lynch probably couldn't tell you which parts are filler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, mc

More
08 Mar 2023 08:49 #338599 by hotseatgames
Started a re-watch of Squid Game, and had actually forgotten how masterful this show is. Not a second is wasted.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.840 seconds