October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
24 Mar 2023 14:58 #338765 by dysjunct

n815e wrote: Fett wasn’t an especially good show, if it wasn’t for Mando I’m not sure it would have been worth watching.

The "Honest Trailers" episode about Book of Fett was funny; it pointed out the weird and creepy obsession Fett had with either taking baths himself, or encouraging others to take baths. (In Bacta tanks.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2023 16:26 #338766 by Joebot

jason10mm wrote: Mando S3 has gotten WIIIIEEEEERRRRDDD. That ep about the Imperial doc, WTF? It was fine as an atmospheric bit of narrative, I guess, almost like Andor, but what was the point? I'm guessing it was fodder for the Ahsoka show, and if so, LucasArts REALLY needs to stop shoehorning stuff for one show into the feed of a different show. Book of Fett taking a 2 ep break to have 2 eps of Mando stuck in was bad enough, especially if all you watch is Mando and the S2 to S3 jump made no sense without those 2 eps, but if Ahsoka spring boards off this Imp Doc stuff

While I agree with what you're saying, it's worth pointing out that the best episode of Boba Fett was the Mandalorian-focused one. Likewise, the best episode of The Mandalorian this season has been the Dr. Pershing-focused one. Go figure.

S3 of Mando has been a bit of a mess. I know everyone likes the big, heavily-serialized narratives these days, but I actually like the Mando "hang out" episodes where they talk to an NPC, get a quest, go fight a monster, maybe level up with some new gear. It's a pleasant throwback to the olden days of action TV shows that were all adventure-of-the-week.

This season though, it's not really doing the adventure-of-the-week ... but it's also not really doing an over-arcing narrative either. Stuff just kinda happens and then the episode ends. I thought the season-long goal was going to be Mando getting re-baptized on Mandalore, but he banged that out in two episodes. Okay. Soooo .... now what are we doing? What does he want, what are his goals, what's standing in his way? You know, all that basic storytelling protagonist shit. At this point, I couldn't answer any of those questions.

I feel like Bo-Katan is stealing away the focus of the show, and I'm actually fine with that because Katee Sackoff rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius

More
24 Mar 2023 20:05 #338767 by Msample
Boba Fett started off mildly interesting, then went full JarJar Binks when the fucking hipsters on Vespas showed up.

The most recent Mando episode had an interesting cameo by the actor who played JarJar, Ahmed Best. In Mando he got a decent role that at least won't have SW fans sending him death threats.

But Mando S3 now lives in the shadow of ANDOR, for better or worse.

More
24 Mar 2023 22:10 #338769 by ChristopherMD
I still think Boba Fett should have been two episodes of Mando not the other way around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, n815e

More
26 Mar 2023 10:03 #338779 by jason10mm

Joebot wrote: I feel like Bo-Katan is stealing away the focus of the show, and I'm actually fine with that because Katee Sackoff rules.

If Mando ends and a Bo Katan show begins, I just want them to cast as many BSG actors as possible for the giggles. I want Bo to end a speech with "It is the Way" and Eddie Olmos in heavy alien makeup to respond with "So say we alllllllllllllllll"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
27 Mar 2023 12:38 #338787 by Jackwraith
Succession. Still amazing.

More
27 Mar 2023 13:23 #338788 by DarthJoJo
The Bear is the best thing I have seen in a long while. It’s something of a less whimsical Ted Lasso at its core as these restaurant workers make each other better and move together past the suicide of a friend, but what most struck me was how adult it was. It never needed to stop and explain itself to me. The dream sequences are never shared with other characters and analyzed. It trusted the performances and editing and cinematography to control the mood. Just great stuff that is easy to recommend when it’s just eight 30-minute episodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Jackwraith, trif, Nodens

More
28 Mar 2023 06:44 #338794 by Nodens
Loved the Bear. CORNER!
The following user(s) said Thank You: trif, DarthJoJo

More
28 Mar 2023 18:43 #338805 by trif
I remember it getting a lot of buzz and finally watching it whilst ironing only to find I'd reached the last episode (which I saved for later.)

Such an excellent show and one of the most amazingly tense ones I'd seen. Great performances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
30 Mar 2023 10:28 #338824 by Shellhead
The final episode of season two of Pennyworth would have been a very satisfactory end to the show... until the final minutes, when they jumped ahead six months and then jumped the shark. I will give season three a chance, but I have doubts.

Lately HBO, has been doing an odd thing where it seems to inhibit binging of newer shows. In the past, there would have been a nearly seamless transition between the last episode of season two and the first episode of season three, but instead HBO acted like there wasn't a season three and instead showed me links to comparable shows. It has been doing this lately whenever I finish an episode of Doom Patrol. And also Perry Mason, but that's reasonable since they are only releasing one episode per week for the new season, so I am caught up as I end each episode.

More
30 Mar 2023 10:35 - 30 Mar 2023 11:25 #338825 by Jackwraith
Watched The Bear on Darthjojo's (and Nodens') recommendation and, for I think the first time on a TV recommendation here, really liked it. I enjoyed the fact that the characters were all regular humans with flaws and it really reminded me of working in a restaurant, with all the particular issues that that environment brings. (Learned to be a short order cook at the age of 12 in a local deli.)

(The birthday party with the Xanax was a particular treat for the reaction of Pete ("Hey. What is this? Nap time?") and Cicero ("I'm actually OK with it."), despite the plotting question of how that possibly would've happened.)
Last edit: 30 Mar 2023 11:25 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
31 Mar 2023 10:13 #338838 by Shellhead
Pennyworth season 3 is starting well enough, though it jumped ahead another five years, to around 1977 or so. All the main characters look the exact same age, except Martha Wayne genuinely looks five years older, and Bet Sykes somehow looks younger. There was a jarring early scene involving a cyborg that played to my fear that this show was going to abruptly turn into another Gotham, but otherwise everything is staying fairly down to earth.

Perry Mason season 2 is very good. There is more focus on the personal lives of the main characters and less on the current big case. And a surprising amount of fallout from the previous season.

More
07 Apr 2023 22:29 #338932 by Jackwraith
Watched the first two episodes of The English on Amazon. I'm a Western fan to begin with, even if the storyline seems kind of obvious. But the characters are all quite solid and there's good chemistry between the two leads. It's a BBC production, so there are only six episodes. Not sure if there will be any beyond that.

More
10 Apr 2023 21:19 #338954 by Jackwraith
Also started watching Cyberpunk Edgerunners on Netflix. I'm not a huge anime fan, but I am a huge cyberpunk fan and I still favor the old school, William Gibson Sprawl-type stuff, which this totally is, since it's based on Cyberpunk 2077. It hasn't been mindblowing or anything, but it's been interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
26 Apr 2023 21:29 #339117 by ChristopherMD
Picard - The first season was okay but rough. I had stopped watching early in season two because it was garbage. Still haven't finished it and don't expect to. The third season ignores season two and most of season one (just one plot point from the end is used). S3 of Picard is somehow good and full of references/homages to Star Trek history. A non-DS9 show even acknowledged the Dominion War finally. And the finale is practically a Next Generation movie. I'll spoil the end of the first season below so you can skip to S3.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.689 seconds