October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
28 Jul 2015 14:28 #207310 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: For reasons that I can't figure out, I started watching Stargate SG-1. Can someone tell me if the show ever becomes good? Because I can't imagine 10 seasons of that dreck.

I watched a half dozen episodes of Stargate over the years and never got hooked. I always suspected that a big chunk of the fanbase was from the armed forces. Not because the show was realistic, but just for the chance to see people like themselves in a sci-fi show every week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2015 14:33 #207311 by Black Barney
Everyone I know that loves that show is female. The show is insanely popular with women. I originally chalked it up to the original MacGyver fan base which was also predominately female (Patty & Selma tuning into to each episode with a package of BallPark Franks (here he goes again!). But turns out that the show has strong feminist characters like Samantha.

More
28 Jul 2015 14:56 #207313 by Shellhead
There was a bar in St. Paul that used to host a Stargate SG-1 night. I was tempted to check it out once just to see the fans, but it was in a bad neighborhood. Rundown apartments next door. A notoriously sleazy bar across the street. A strip club diagonally across the intersection. And a gas station with drug dealing in the parking lost on the fourth corner of that intersection.

More
28 Jul 2015 15:06 #207315 by Dutch
I think Stargate is a terrific show. Contemporary humans with contemporary weapons & philosophies, plunged into screwy sci-fi situations. Strong characters, and non-predictable conflicts. There are some awful episodes, particularly in the first season (episode 2 is particularly egregious), but as it gets rolling and the longer-term storylines unfold, I found it quite worthwhile.

At a certain point, several of the characters had been updated or changed, and I stopped watching. Never got into any of the spin-off shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD

More
28 Jul 2015 18:57 #207324 by Ancient_of_MuMu

KingPut wrote: Anybody watch NetFlix's Sense8 yet? I watched episode 1 and I'm feeling sucked into episode 2.

My wife and I finished it a few days ago. She loved it and thought it was one of the best shows of the last few years. I merely thought it was good. It takes too long to get going, as not much really happens for the first 4 or 5 episodes and it would feel better if it was condensed down to 2 episodes. It is one of the rare shows where the sex (apart from one scene) generally felt appropriate and was not just there for titillation (as sexuality and sensuality would be one of the most intriguing things to explore if allowed inside someone else's mind). It has that frustrating thing from Game of Thrones where you keep feeling that the interesting stories keep getting interrupted by the boring ones, though after discussing it with my wife we both had very different feelings about which stories were the better ones.

More
28 Jul 2015 20:27 #207330 by ChristopherMD

Shellhead wrote: I watched a half dozen episodes of Stargate over the years and never got hooked. I always suspected that a big chunk of the fanbase was from the armed forces. Not because the show was realistic, but just for the chance to see people like themselves in a sci-fi show every week.

The Air Force was very happy with the show. They loaned them whatever equipment they needed, including a nuclear sub for one of the movies. Also, real Air Force Generals had cameos as well as several scientists. One of the things I liked about the show was all the military stuff tried to be accurate. When the Air Force changed its uniforms or weapons the characters on the show did too.

This is one of my favorite scenes; a comparison of our weapons vs theirs.

More
28 Jul 2015 21:18 #207334 by SebastianBludd
My wife and I are 10 eps. through the latest season of Orange is the New Black and it's a marked improvement over Season 2. Ditching Jason Biggs' character has thus far kept things moving and I'm pleasantly surprised that they've been able to introduce some new plotlines that don't feel cheesy or forced. Other than a couple B and C storylines it's been a pretty good season so far.

We've also been catching Malcolm in the Middle reruns on IFC and Netflix. It's held up rather well and I've always enjoyed how its characters could be cynical and/or wacky cartoons while still being well-drawn and believable.

More
29 Jul 2015 00:21 - 29 Jul 2015 00:22 #207346 by Cranberries
I watched all 20 episodes of "The Good Guys" to help ease my reentry into the US. It had its moments.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2015 00:22 by Cranberries.

More
29 Jul 2015 00:49 #207348 by Grudunza
Mr. Robot is great; interesting characters and some good writing with unexpected turns here and there. Except, I don't think I can watch it anymore... There's an unfortunate subplot about the main character's drug use that hits a little too close to home for me. Too bad, though, as I do really like it, otherwise.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is really good, but seems like a very slow burn, even for a BBC period piece. I feel intrigued by it and am enjoying it well enough through three episodes, but I'm wondering why I don't really love it more than I do. Something about the story or the pacing kind of loses my interest now and then, though usually there is something cool or amusing or interesting to regain that. In particular, I'm not engaged with the whole aspect of Marc Warren's "Gentlemen" character, the devilish spirit guy. I love that actor from Hustle and Oliver Twist and other things, so it's disappointing that his scenes here kind of lose me, but there's something about that whole netherworld thing that I don't really find entertaining, compared to the idea of magicians emerging in that era of England and how everyone reacts to them and tries to use them in service of the army and such. That to me is what is particularly compelling and unique about this show, whereas the other stuff kind of feels extraneous. Or maybe I'm just not getting the deeper connection there, or it will flesh out better as the series goes on. I'll admit that I haven't been able to follow that whole thing very well, tuning out a bit, so maybe there's something more that I'm just missing. Anyway, it's still a very interesting show.

More
29 Jul 2015 07:39 #207355 by repoman
Just watched the season finale last night and I think it one of the best shows I've seen in years.

It does have a slow build up but that is necessary for understanding of the somewhat complex plot and to allow for such great character development. There isn't a mono dimensional character in the whole show. The acting is great across the board.

What I love best is how it captures the spirit of the age of the enlightenment. You have these two magicians making marvelous and world shattering discoveries but are in turn releasing forces and ideas that they themselves barely understand and certainly cannot control.

You also have the struggle of the two philosophies the magitian separately hold. This reminds me of the heated and passionate debates and arguments of the framers of the constitution. Neither side wrong, both having the same ultimate goal but at each other's throats for years.

The only thing I didn't like was the epilogue which seems like it was included merely to leave the door open for a second season. If the last five minutes could be excised, I think the show would be damn near perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, MacDirk Diggler

More
04 Aug 2015 14:16 #207942 by Shellhead
Watched first season of Portlandia recently. Sketch comedy with recurring characters, but tends to run a joke into the ground within minutes. Made me smile at times, but I only laughed out loud once. There was this one sketch near the end of the season about this lesbian book store that is hosting a class in journalling. The women take turns reading recent unhappy entries, when Heather Graham flounces in late as a new student. She cheerfully reads her recent entry about her wonderful boyfriend, the tantric sex that they are having, and the breakfast that he made for her. The co-owners of the shop criticize her and complain about slavery of the penis, while Heather protests that she is happy. Then one store owner abruptly declares that she and the other owner "are this close to jumping up on the table, kicking everything off of it, throwing pencils in each of your eyes, and then I am going to grab her (the co-owner's) hand and slap everybody across the face with it."

More
04 Aug 2015 16:23 #207949 by mads b.
We are watching The Americans - a show about a couple of KGB agents living deep undercover in America in the 80's. It's of course about espionage and counterespionage, but it's also about a couple and their kids which makes for a nice contrast. Also, they've nailed the style pretty well.

First season is great and the show could easily have ended there - it would have felt like a full arch. However, season 2 is also quite good, and things are bleak but intense around 10 episodes in.

More
04 Aug 2015 17:07 #207953 by Gregarius

mads b. wrote: We are watching The Americans - a show about a couple of KGB agents living deep undercover in America in the 80's. It's of course about espionage and counterespionage, but it's also about a couple and their kids which makes for a nice contrast. Also, they've nailed the style pretty well.

First season is great and the show could easily have ended there - it would have felt like a full arch. However, season 2 is also quite good, and things are bleak but intense around 10 episodes in.

That's awesome-- that's exactly where we are! I agree completely: It's a really fantastic show. I especially appreciate how many things are left unsaid, leaving the viewer to read between the lines. Also, actions have consequences. They may be immediate, or they might not show up for several episodes, but they always occur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
04 Aug 2015 18:00 #207954 by Black Barney
This is the last week of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Last night's episode with Amy Schumer was awesome, looking forward to more.

will miss him

More
04 Aug 2015 20:19 #207960 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: This is the last week of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Last night's episode with Amy Schumer was awesome, looking forward to more.

will miss him

Have you ever watched the Daily show ....on WEED ? That's the way to do it, man...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.121 seconds