October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Stranger Things 2

More
25 Jul 2017 01:15 #251611 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Stranger Things 2

Colorcrayons wrote: Good costumes were proof that your mommy really loved you.

Vinyl costumes meant that your parents disliked you so much, that you may as well have been an orphan.

I went through a series of vinyl Masters of the Universe costumes -- Skeletor and Merman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2017 07:31 - 25 Jul 2017 07:32 #251613 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Stranger Things 2
Barnesy, you like Big Adventure? It has one good line in the whole thing but what a great line it was..,

"Haha I love that story "

*walks away with bike*
Last edit: 25 Jul 2017 07:32 by Black Barney.

More
25 Jul 2017 09:04 #251617 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Stranger Things 2
I wrote this back in 2010 .

=====
It’s being called a watershed moment in movie history. “I knew I wanted to tap into the nerd moviegoer market,” says Jack Bigelow, who is being feted like a god in Hollywood these days, “but films like Star Trek, The Dark Knight, and The Lord of the Rings had set the bar so high, it seemed like there was no way to do something without putting a lot of work into it.”

He continues: “But then I saw a list of movies that geeks are looking forward to in 2010, and it clicked.”

What clicked for Bigelow was the realization that the standards had not been re-set.

“Looking at the drek on that list — a Star Blazers movie? a Clash of the Titans remake? Yet more Tim Burton bullshit? — made me realize that although some decent movies had come out, nerds were just as happy paying to see the same stupid garbage they’d been lining up for for years. And what did they want the most? Anything from when they were kids.”

Within minutes Bigelow was on the phone, and two hours later A Nintendo, the Fiend Folio, and Stretch Armstrong! was slotted into the schedule for an early Summer 2010 release. “That would normally be absurd, but in this case, the movie will be finished by later today, tomorrow tops.”

Bigelow is confident of this because the movie consists of nothing but these three items on the screen for 90 minutes. (The original “script” called for two hours, but it was edited down to 90 minutes both to increase the number of showings possible in a day and to provide material for the DVD release.)

With a budget of about $75 and projected earnings of over $65 million, Hollywood is fired up. It also helps that within moments of the movie’s announcement, message boards on the Internet lit up. “I AM SO THERE,” posts SilentBob420. “I mean come on, Nintendo! What’s not to like? Also, I totally had the Fiend Folio!”

Other studios are already jumping on the bandwagon, with Fox supposedly striking a deal with Lucasfilm to run between 75 and 100 minutes of footage of a remote-controlled Jawa Sandcrawler toy from 1979.

“We all feel like fools,” says Bigelow. “Wasting all this time, effort, and money on trying to make decent movies when clearly any old nostalgic crap will suffice.”

Bigelow has a reputation of being a genius in Hollywood after he developed the idea of, “Just stick some fucking zombies in it.”
=====
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
25 Jul 2017 10:16 #251626 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Stranger Things 2

Michael Barnes wrote: OMG! I had the pumpkin head Kooky Spook! I haven't thought about those in like 35 years! I loved that thing but I wouldn't wear the makeup.

I saw the movie 'Once Bitten' last week and noticed a kooky spook in the crowd during the Halloween scene. I hadn't thought about them in a long time either until that point.

Now that is an honest to god 80's distillation movie right there. Horrible movie, but that's the 80's. My memory tells me i havent seen a movie from that period that displayed the 80's as well as it. I always thought Jim carrey got his start on In Living Color. But this movie proved me wrong. Same stupid bit at that time that he does now.

More
25 Jul 2017 10:34 #251629 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Stranger Things 2
Yeah, it's up there...but I think Girls Just Wanna Have Fun may be the ne plus ultra of putting the 80s on the screen.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds