October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

ST - Discovery

More
18 Nov 2017 10:15 #257837 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic ST - Discovery

repoman wrote: I for one don't miss the Corporate Meeting Room look of the office building in space that was Next Gen's Enterprise. All they needed were a few artificial ferns.

I never questioned that at the time the show was on the air, but it eventually started to bother me while watching re-runs. Overall, the Next Gen bridge crew often seemed too realistically professional to be entertaining. They all seemed to have undergone extensive training in human resources and only communicated in a tactful and respectful manner. It made sense, because the Federation isn't going to send losers out into space with powerful starships to muck up all their treaties and stuff. But I really missed the adventurous spirit of the original series, especially Kirk. The officers of Kirk's Enterprise seemed like interesting people that I would want on my side when things got rough. The officers of Picard's Enterprise seemed like they would bore me until I teleported myself out into space, though Picard himself was very interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2018 11:39 - 12 Feb 2018 11:45 #263442 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic ST - Discovery
Anyone else stick this out?

The series finale, which debuted yesterday, was pretty dismal, ending the already uneven-but-more-down-than-up season on a sour note. It was pretty much this season in microcosm: the visuals were fine, the acting in the abstract was pretty good (though in the service of weak characterization and worse plot), the character development was mostly poor or nonexistent, and the structure and pacing were absolutely dreadful, to the point where I had to forcibly remind myself that I was watching an episode written, directed, and produced by working professionals.

I've not been a hater; I've enjoyed or at least been interested in this show for most of the run, and there have been some decent elements, but I've definitely gone to "barely qualified failure" as my assessment of season 1 and probably won't return for season 2. I have some sympathy for the show and its writers because of the production mess. I also didn't and don't expect the second coming of TNG in 2018. But Discovery has seemed too often to be designed and developed as though this weren't the golden age of longform storytelling on TV, that DS9 hadn't succeeded in managing arcing plotlines, that SF shows like The Expanse didn't exist, and that the STD writers were pioneering the mode, just trying this or that to see what might work and being overly reliant on plot and twists.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2018 11:45 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, Sagrilarus, Msample

More
12 Feb 2018 11:59 #263444 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic ST - Discovery
It wasn't a great finale, but I felt like the first season was pretty strong overall. Considering the behind-the-scenes problems, I think it turned out well. It did however feel rushed at times, and nowhere is this more evident than the finale. I've read that Fuller (the original showrunner) originated the Klingon War plotline as well as the Mirror Universe, and that perhaps plays into the botched landing with him leaving the show.

The show looks great and the cast is excellent, it just needs to cohere more in the next season. My hope is that with less turmoil, they should be able to accomplish this. I'm glad the Klingon War is over, since they didn't execute it as well as I would like. I'm curious to see where they go next.

More
12 Feb 2018 12:26 #263445 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic ST - Discovery
Another sign of weak writing: they didn't anticipate that viewers would use the abbreviation (STD) when discussing this show online.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, jpat, Msample

More
12 Feb 2018 12:31 - 12 Feb 2018 12:33 #263446 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic ST - Discovery
It seems definitely the case to me that the season 1 arc would've worked significantly better--and maybe only, really--if this were a chapter in an anthology, where the characters are more or less disposable. I don't know whether the actual season 1 arc was residue of that rejected plan or not, but if it was I do have sympathy for the writers who had to write their way out of serious dead ends for the sake of preserving a cast for season 2. The very nature of the show being a prequel creates significant problems for plotting, too. Maybe season 2 will be better; I'm just not sure I'll stick around to find out.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2018 12:33 by jpat.

More
12 Feb 2018 13:04 #263448 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic ST - Discovery
I stopped watching with about three episodes left before the mid-season finale.

I then watched the mid-season premier, and one more, then decided to hang it up permanently. A big disappointment for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds