October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

SOLO - LET'S TALK (KEEP SPOILERS IN TAGS)

More
12 Jun 2018 00:49 #275166 by san il defanso
Part of me thinks the whole movie at the conceptual level misunderstood the appeal of Han Solo. It's not like most people care about him that much (aside from the really hardcore), it's that people like Harrison Ford in the role. Without Ford, the movie is really missing what most people like about Han Solo in the first place.

I say that as someone who liked Ehrenreich fine. He did well enough, but he's simply never going to be Harrison Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Grudunza, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2018 01:51 #275168 by Michael Barnes
I think we can all agree that Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars anything ever made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Jun 2018 04:11 - 12 Jun 2018 09:33 #275171 by Matt Thrower

barrowdown wrote: I have not seen anything after the prequel trilogy, but VI > V > IV??? Get out of here with that garbage.

Black Barney wrote: There’s a certain age range out there that all saw VI at the perfect age to see it and can’t shake that magical memory.

See this is interesting, because I make a similar argument about ESB. A lot of the love for that film is all about the big reveal at the end. That's what everyone's remembering when they put it at the top of their rankings.

Take that away, and what's left? A great opening and then a bunch of slightly flabby glue scenes that suffer for the whole thing being the middle pillar of a trilogy. I think most of the stuff in Cloud City prior to the climax is particularly poor.

One of the reasons I love RotJ (and putting it above ESB isn't that rare, although we're in a minority) is because, for me, Star Wars has for most of its franchise life been all about popcorn-popping space action and RotJ has tons of that. Lots of great space battles, the big fight on Endor and the whole sequence with Jabba which might actually be my favourite bit in all ten films, capturing as it does all that grungy sci-fi aesthetic that Star Wars does so well.

I mean, lets face it, up until RO and TLJ, action was really all Star Wars was about. The characters - Han, and maybe Luke excepted - weren't really all that interesting and didn't develop. The dialogue was poor. The world-building was effusive but so shakey it needs endless reels of deux ex tape to keep it together. All the love for Star Wars before those most recent films was all about recapturing the nostalgia of childhood excitement.

Nothing wrong with that - and it's great to see Disney finally adding a bit of depth to the whole thing - but let's not pretend it's something it's not, just because ESB had a big plot twist that we all remember being thrilled by.

And this is why TPM is the best of the prequels. Sure it's garbage but it's bright, colourful garbage. The other two are wet, dank, heavy garbage, filthy with tiresome exposition and wooden acting that you'll break your back shifting and will leave stains on your carpet.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:33 by Matt Thrower.

More
12 Jun 2018 08:55 #275180 by charlest
TPM is the best of the prequels, I'm down with that. Excellent opening, two actors portraying Jedi who we can get behind, exceptional villain in Maul, great final lightsaber battle and overall battle sequence, I even dig the podrace scene.

I think V holds up beyond the ending though. The Cloud City scenes are not dodgy in my opinion. The torture of Han just to draw Luke in, Lando's betrayal, more Boba Fett, all that is good stuff.

The chase through an asteroid field is very fun. The Yoda stuff is slow but it's interesting and great development of Luke. Hoth is also the best battle sequence in the OT. Those AT-ATs mesmerized me as a kid. Poor Dack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Black Barney

More
12 Jun 2018 09:19 - 12 Jun 2018 09:21 #275185 by Matt Thrower

charlest wrote: I think V holds up beyond the ending though. The Cloud City scenes are not dodgy in my opinion. The torture of Han just to draw Luke in, Lando's betrayal, more Boba Fett, all that is good stuff.

The chase through an asteroid field is very fun. The Yoda stuff is slow but it's interesting and great development of Luke. Hoth is also the best battle sequence in the OT. Those AT-ATs mesmerized me as a kid. Poor Dack.

Sure: I admit I'm exaggerating a bit in order to make a point, although I'm still not down with Cloud City. Although it elicited some surprise, don't forget ESB is still third on my ranking list.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:21 by Matt Thrower.

More
12 Jun 2018 09:42 - 12 Jun 2018 09:42 #275189 by Michael Barnes
Empire made Star Wars what it is. Without Empire, SW would have been a 70s fad movie like Saturday Night Fever or Grease. Empire made it religious.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 09:42 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest, Gregarius

More
12 Jun 2018 13:31 #275209 by Gregarius

Michael Barnes wrote: I think we can all agree that Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars anything ever made.

<ahem> Star Wars Holiday Special

More
12 Jun 2018 13:40 #275210 by boothwah

More
12 Jun 2018 13:40 #275211 by Gregarius
For the record:
IV > V > VIII > VI > VII > Solo > RO ......................................... > I > II = III

It's so funny that Barnes posted almost exactly what I was thinking regarding SW vs. ESB. There are times (more frequently lately) where I actually fantasize about Star Wars just being a one-off like Close Encounters. It could stay pure and precious in my memory, revered by the faithful but largely ignored by the populace.

The other funny comparison to make is Jaws-- that movie survived three terrible sequels, and nobody cares. It will always be a classic. Plus, we don't have the Amity Cinematic Universe to contend with.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds