October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Castle Rock (Hulu) and other Stephen King stuff.

More
30 Jul 2018 11:41 #278751 by Black Barney
I like the Shining but I can totally understand King's beef with the movie given that they totally changed the feel and tone of what how the book was written. The antagonist was always supposed to be the Overlook Hotel, not Jack. The protgonist is supposed to be Jack. It's a tragedy.

Given he's an author and came up with the story, I totally get why he's miffed. It's not because the movie was successful and well-respected, it's that King's work wasn't respected.

At the same time, I have nothing against adapted screenplays and I think it's fine to really rework a book in order to make a better movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2018 12:18 #280764 by ChristopherMD
Wasn't really expecting this show to make me think of
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
05 Sep 2018 18:42 - 05 Sep 2018 18:42 #281156 by ChristopherMD
Not the direction I was expecting this show to go in. I can see the finale being really good or really bad now. Like do they rush through and try fill everything in or trust the audience and just wrap things up.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2018 18:42 by ChristopherMD.

More
05 Sep 2018 19:33 #281160 by jeb
I've read everything he's written except for the sequels to the MR MERCEDES book, which is a shit sandwich.

My favorites:
Book: THE SHINING. The best modern American gothic novel. Should be taught in high schools.
Film: THE SHINING. Even though King hated it. Too bad he's wrong.
Dark Tower novel: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE. You can skip the rest.

King is best in short story format. NIGHT SHIFT and SKELETON CREW are all-time greats. The work takes a hit as he ages, but those are gold.

He needs an editor, like almost every other author in the fucking world. THE STAND, edited, is better than THE STAND DIRECTOR'S CUT or whatever the fuck that long-ass draggy PoS is called these days. Cf. short stories.

He got up his own ass in a huge way following the accident. He wrote himself into his books and it was bad and not good. That said, he's an excellent writer; I just wish he knew more. He can't really expound well on things outside of Maine, writing, being an alcoholic, being hit by a car, being a shitty husband, &c. His books tend to end up as "Shitty husband dies in a fire--or did he?!" "Maine--it's weird here!" and "Ever been hit by a car? I have! I was drunk/high!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Frohike, drewcula

More
06 Sep 2018 02:36 #281168 by Frohike
The Outsider was decent if somewhat predictable. I'm currently re-reading It which captures elements of nostalgia that I enjoy (similar to The Body). Right with you on Drawing of the Three. There's no need to proceed further with that series.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Sep 2018 11:23 #281259 by Frohike
I really enjoyed the direction of this latest episode. It brought in unexpected themes from
Warning: Spoiler!
I think the concept was so successful, however, that they probably should have ended the series with this episode. I don't quite trust their ability to sustain the idea nor follow through on it in a satisfying way.

More
12 Sep 2018 20:50 #281510 by ChristopherMD
I watched the finale. As I suspected they hit their peak in the previous episode. The show overall isn't the greatest but its good enough I'll check out what story they do next season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
17 Sep 2018 22:03 #281793 by Frohike
I think I’m out. I didn’t think it would turn this hard, but it quickly veered into flip-floppy, aimless trash with the finale.

At least Twin Peaks knew when to call it. There’s a certain skill to editing that this series simply does not exhibit.

More
17 Sep 2018 22:27 #281800 by drewcula

Frohike wrote: I think I’m out. I didn’t think it would turn this hard, but it quickly veered into flip-floppy, aimless trash with the finale.

At least Twin Peaks knew when to call it. There’s a certain skill to editing that this series simply does not exhibit.

Tell me you didn't watch 'Twin Peaks: The Return."

I'm a Peaker, and that season was f&*(ing brutal to watch.

More
18 Sep 2018 11:28 #281817 by Frohike
I actually enjoyed most of it, peaking (hah) with episode 8. I also loved the conclusion (and hope it remains the conclusion). It was definitely uneven in places but the ways in which The Return shaped me as a viewer more than made up for the massive ellipses and dropped threads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds