October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Do you even M. Night bro?

More
03 Aug 2018 21:24 #279159 by Black Barney
Ok he must be done making movies by now, so it’s time to rank your M. Night Shyamalan movies! For me, it’s:

Sixth sense, Signs, Unbreakable, Village, Lady in the Water, Happening, Last Airbender (good God)

I think only the first three are actually good. I’ve very recently decided (you guys are going to hate this) that Signs is actually better than Unbreakable. First of all, I agree that Signs doesn’t age well compared to Unbreakable but what are we supposed to judge movies on? How well they hold up over repeated viewings or how great were they the first time? I think movies were meant to be one-and-done and I remember seeing Signs with my ex girlfriend Wendy in a small theatre or drive in in Maine, being scared and stressed out of our minds. I remember seeing Unbreakable with my old friend Brendan as we laughed our asses off when Mr Glass’s legs shatter as he falls down the staircase to the subway, « I JUST WANT TO TALK TO YOU « 

That first terrifying experience of Signs trumps the absolute coolness of Unbreakable

There was a period of time when I grew softer on The Village but i absolutely despise how M Night betrayed his following by tricking his audience in that one. Robert Ebert had it in his most hated movies.

Last Airbender probably ranks in the five worst movies I’ve ever seen, it’s nuts that it’s actually worse somehow than The Happening

Finally I’ve come to realize that his crowning achievement, The Sixth Sense, isn’t actually even excellent. It’s just very good. Has anyone given any thought on how elevated that movie could have been if they put an actor instead of Bruce Willis? Toni Collette is no slouch so you put another strong lead (I don’t know who... Tom hanks? ) and i think the movie goes top tier

... I should have fleshed this out and made an article but I only just realized Signs is better than Unbreakable and I know that is anti establishment so I wanted to throw myself into the shooting range

Have at me with your lists and basic reasonings. Who will be the first to write a funny non-participating message?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2018 21:40 #279161 by WadeMonnig
Have you seen The Visit or split? Seems like he is back on track and up next is Glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Aug 2018 22:01 #279163 by ChristopherMD
Unbreakable

The Village

Sixth Sense

Split

Signs

Happening

More
03 Aug 2018 22:04 #279165 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Do you even M. Night bro?
He should have stuck to cinematography, or else cut a deal to do a new season of Twilight Zone.

More
04 Aug 2018 05:19 #279179 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Do you even M. Night bro?
It's an interesting question whether a movie should be judged on first viewing impressions or impressions over time and repeated viewings.

I think if a movie is truly a work of art, really more than just a distraction or diversion, then it must hold up over time. A great movie transcends the time or era it was made because it speaks to universal truths and the basic nature of humanity. These don't change in five, ten, or fifty years.

Also, great movies have things going on at multiple levels that I don't think a viewer can really take in in just one viewing. It takes several viewings to take in the nuance and subtlety.

A movie that is merely "good" or "fun" can of course be watched once and then forgotten. I suppose with a movie maker like M. Night whose claim to fame is the TWIST then the first viewing is the most important because after that the shock that is usually the whole point of the film is lost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Nodens, WadeMonnig

More
04 Aug 2018 07:25 #279180 by Black Barney
Yeah exactly. Some movies are clearly pieces of great art, while others are meant to be amusement park rides.

More
04 Aug 2018 08:13 #279181 by Sagrilarus
I don’t understand the hate for Last Airbender. It wasn’t Oscar material but it was a good film, especially considering its children’s TV show roots. As good as the dependably above-average Marvel titles that are coming out now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Nodens

More
04 Aug 2018 08:35 #279183 by Black Barney
You joking? I never saw the cartoon for Airbender but then again i never read the comics for the Marvel movies. I’m not a fan of either source material but because I’m a movie fan, I can safely say the Marvel movies range from good to excellent (Black Panther, Iron Man) and Airbender has to be one of the worst movies ever. I’ll see if I can dig up what I wrote on it initially..

More
04 Aug 2018 10:35 #279187 by SuperflyPete
I love the guy’s films.

I wish he’d be more in the spotlight and do interviews but I think he’s just a shy Malayan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, Black Barney, Nodens

More
04 Aug 2018 10:58 #279190 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Do you even M. Night bro?
The Sixth Sense was really good. Unbreakable was good. The Last Airbender was kind of meh, and kind of messed up a really good intellectual property. Signs was two hours of my life that I'm never getting back.

More
04 Aug 2018 11:49 - 04 Aug 2018 15:05 #279194 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic Do you even M. Night bro?

Sagrilarus wrote: I don’t understand the hate for Last Airbender. It wasn’t Oscar material but it was a good film, especially considering its children’s TV show roots. As good as the dependably above-average Marvel titles that are coming out now.

The animated Last Airbender " redefined the Asian-American experience ". No live action movie can live up to something like that.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2018 15:05 by Nodens.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds