October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Game of Thrones TV extravaganza

More
15 Apr 2019 01:57 #295498 by Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2019 07:51 #295499 by hotseatgames
I enjoyed the first episode of the last season of GoT. I'll put my not-spoilery thoughts in spoiler tags anyway.
Warning: Spoiler!

More
15 Apr 2019 08:35 #295503 by Jackwraith
Spoiler responses:

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
15 Apr 2019 09:21 #295511 by charlest
Agree on that episode Mark. I did dig the final scene (the fire thing), and I was wondering what happened to your favorite character too.

More
15 Apr 2019 10:37 #295513 by RobertB
Flying special effects in this episode were bad. As in, "Did anyone who worked on the show watch this?" bad. That aside, the episode was okay. There was a lot of 'everybody meeting everybody else' that had to happen, and getting it all done in one episode might have been the best way to handle that.

More
15 Apr 2019 12:34 #295523 by Gregarius
I liked it. I was fine with them "setting up the pieces," especially when it's been so long since the last episode aired. I also really liked the numerous parallels/homages to the very first episode.

But probably my favorite part was the fact that everything shown in the trailer appeared in this episode. I'm excited that I don't know what to expect from here (apart from what they showed in the preview for next week).

More
15 Apr 2019 22:54 #295548 by Shellhead
Besides everybody meeting everybody else, there were some nice new conflicts set up. Sansa has never been my favorite character, but I appreciated her bringing up the problem of feeding all the new troops in winter. I like the conflicts in this show best when both sides raise valid points, as opposed to the tired tropes of good vs evil.

More
16 Apr 2019 01:44 #295551 by Michael Barnes
I don’t mean to spoil it for anyone but I can’t believe that it was Raytheon Bannister stabbed JR Ewing to become the Duke of Snowtown. You have to admit that it is pretty lazy writing to kill off every character from seasons 1-7 in an opening montage. I don’t really like the new captain or that red haired kid.

More
16 Apr 2019 10:18 #295564 by Sagrilarus
I made the glaring mistake of texting my daughter for tax return information during the Game of Thrones premier. She indicated that she would provide it when the show was done; I indicated that I wasn't terribly concerned about her tax return being late, which would incur a financial penalty against her refund.

Her TV has a pause feature. Who knew?

More
16 Apr 2019 13:04 #295570 by Michael Barnes

Gary Sax wrote: Cool guy doesn't like Game of Thrones. News at 11.

No, I actually do like it! I’m just waaaaay behind. I just got to season 5. That episode with the skeleton fight was the best fantasy thing that has ever been on TV. The Blackwater battle is up there too. And the Wildlings attack. There is some really awesome stuff in it. It took me a while to muster enough enthusiasm to get past the first season but I like it well enough.

But let’s face it, it IS Dallas with genre trappings. It is s-o-a-p-y.

More
16 Apr 2019 15:37 #295579 by Gary Sax
Yeah, sorry, just so many hot takes about how shitty game of thrones is or whatever and it's like just fucking shoot me. Trying to make other people feel bad about their popular entertainment choices... bleh. I'm too old for that shit now and that is definitely something I engaged in when I was younger. Music is SUPER bad about this too.

More
16 Apr 2019 15:47 #295581 by Shellhead
I avoided Game of Thrones for a long time because I was deeply vested in the book version and was hoping to read the whole series before watching the tv show. More than a year ago, I finally acknowledged that Martin doesn't consider finishing the books to be a priority, and binge-watched the first seven seasons on shady websites in eastern Europe. Recently, I re-watched seasons six and seven to refresh my memory of major events beyond the book timeline. And I must now reluctantly admit that Game of Thrones might be my favorite tv show. If they manage to nail the finale, that will put it above my previous top two of Band of Brothers and The Wire. The rest of my top five is Firefly and Veronica Mars, two great shows that got canceled in the middle of a season.

More
16 Apr 2019 16:18 #295584 by RobertB

Michael Barnes wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Cool guy doesn't like Game of Thrones. News at 11.

No, I actually do like it! I’m just waaaaay behind. I just got to season 5. That episode with the skeleton fight was the best fantasy thing that has ever been on TV. The Blackwater battle is up there too. And the Wildlings attack. There is some really awesome stuff in it. It took me a while to muster enough enthusiasm to get past the first season but I like it well enough.

But let’s face it, it IS Dallas with genre trappings. It is s-o-a-p-y.

GoT producers had to step on the gas, starting in Season 6, to meet their deadline with a finished product.
They're painting with a broader brush now.

More
16 Apr 2019 16:29 #295585 by Gary Sax
Yeah, it's not as good bc of that imo but I completely understand.

More
16 Apr 2019 16:31 #295586 by RobertB

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, sorry, just so many hot takes about how shitty game of thrones is or whatever and it's like just fucking shoot me. Trying to make other people feel bad about their popular entertainment choices... bleh. I'm too old for that shit now and that is definitely something I engaged in when I was younger. Music is SUPER bad about this too.

I see a lot of that in another forum I visit. "I don't watch that trash." Yeah yeah whatever *makes wanking motion*. Saw that one in a thread entitled "Game of Thrones".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds