October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

DUNE trailer

More
09 Sep 2020 12:34 #313885 by JoelCFC25
DUNE trailer was created by JoelCFC25
No introduction necessary, I expect...

The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2020 12:48 #313886 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic DUNE trailer
Only in theaters? Next year?

More
09 Sep 2020 13:05 - 09 Sep 2020 13:09 #313888 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic DUNE trailer
I’m going to wish I could see this in a theater.

I think limiting it to theaters is dooming it.
Wasn’t this planned to be multi-part?
Last edit: 09 Sep 2020 13:09 by n815e.

More
09 Sep 2020 13:29 #313890 by Nodens
Replied by Nodens on topic DUNE trailer
Timely. Also good casting choices as it seems.

More
09 Sep 2020 13:36 #313891 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic DUNE trailer
I'm hopeful, but Dune is an awkward fit for either television or movies. It needs a big movie budget, but also needs the breathing room of a season of television to do justice to the characters and story. The original Dune movie did a great job with some early scenes from the first book, then quickly zipped through a highlight reel of much of the rest of the books, plus the famous duel scene. Since this Dune version will be two films, it's possible they could do a decent job of covering the first book.

More
09 Sep 2020 13:48 #313894 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic DUNE trailer
I've never read the book or played the board game or consumed anything else Dune related.

People's excitement for this trailer has me thinking I should read the first book and remedy that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
09 Sep 2020 14:23 #313896 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic DUNE trailer

Jexik wrote: I've never read the book or played the board game or consumed anything else Dune related.

People's excitement for this trailer has me thinking I should read the first book and remedy that.

Just be prepared, It took me four or five starts that would stop about page 50 but once I got past that the first three books were smooth sailing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jexik

More
09 Sep 2020 14:28 - 09 Sep 2020 14:28 #313897 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic DUNE trailer
But why are the Harkonnens weird, bald albinos now? Could Bautista not fit a wig? Does Villeneuve hate color (a real possibility considering the super desaturates palette)? Is the maternal grandfather’s hairline too much of a giveaway? Skarsgaard isn’t even fat! 5 of 7 stars.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2020 14:28 by DarthJoJo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
09 Sep 2020 14:45 #313898 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic DUNE trailer
@Jexik: It's The Hero's Journey, to be sure, but it's very well done, and the world-building is top shelf. I really appreciate the steps taken by the author to set a book in humanity's distant future, but not have it overwhelmed by computers and laser guns.

The book stands alone well, too. Don't feel obliged to read the sequels, and holy shit do i really hate the prequels. I know some folks love them, but I am a DUNE ENCYCLOPEDIA purist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jay718, ChristopherMD, Jexik

More
09 Sep 2020 16:34 #313910 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic DUNE trailer
Overall looks good, the only quibble I had was one shot of Gurney and Duke Leto wearing some sort of plate armor, WTF ? The cast overall is impressive, although the guy playing Paul seems a bit less impressive than he should be.

The big question I have is I have not seen whether they filmed both halves at the same time, or whether they are waiting to see if this does well before doing part 2 ? I'd have to be stuck with basically half a movie. I am guessing from the looks of it the movie ends as Paul and Jessica encounter the Fremen after escaping from the Harkonnen.

More
09 Sep 2020 17:15 #313918 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic DUNE trailer

Msample wrote: Overall looks good, the only quibble I had was one shot of Gurney and Duke Leto wearing some sort of plate armor, WTF ? The cast overall is impressive, although the guy playing Paul seems a bit less impressive than he should be.

The big question I have is I have not seen whether they filmed both halves at the same time, or whether they are waiting to see if this does well before doing part 2 ? I'd have to be stuck with basically half a movie. I am guessing from the looks of it the movie ends as Paul and Jessica encounter the Fremen after escaping from the Harkonnen.

I thought I read that they did NOT do the LOTR thing where they filmed all the movies at one time. I guess they're waiting to see how part 1 does to see if we ever get a part 2. That's disconcerting. You could see the movie failing simply because nobody wants to go to a movie theater. If this gets dumped out on Netflix or Hulu next spring, will it find an audience? It's a weird, esoteric, thinky sci-fi, so it's already pretty niche.

Interesting that this is the third time adapting the same material. I hope this is THE definitive version. I think it could be. The Lynch version was weird and probably strayed too far from the novel, but also had some pretty memorable product / costume designs. The Sci-Fi channel mini-series was more faithful to the novel, but was SO CHEAP. It looked like a high school theater production.

If nothing else, the cast in this this is so loaded with talent. It has to at least be pretty good, right?

More
09 Sep 2020 17:34 #313922 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic DUNE trailer

Joebot wrote: That's disconcerting. You could see the movie failing simply because nobody wants to go to a movie theater.

This is what I was referring to above. If they're saying "theaters only", they're basically halving their expected revenue, especially in the more populated states.

As for Herbert's writing, I agree with Jeb that his world creation and setting are excellent. That's what drives the book and propelled it to a Hugo (which is shared with Zelazny's This Immortal), as that kind of depth in setting was a rarity in the SF of the day. However, Herbert's prose and pacing can be TEDIOUS as he delves into every fading thought of certain characters while they analyze themselves and everyone around them (mostly Paul and Jessica, as you might expect.) So, be prepared if you're reading for the first time. The sequels do kind of improve on this, although they fade a bit in other ways.

More
09 Sep 2020 17:46 #313923 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic DUNE trailer
I think this looks amazing and I can't wait to see it. Well, I can wait if it means I could die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, mezike, WadeMonnig

More
10 Sep 2020 21:21 #313981 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic DUNE trailer
I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm not nearly as big a fan of Villeneuve as some so I hope he keeps the pace brisk instead of over indulging in what could be a massive emo teen romp. I think Lynch hit a good balance between spectacle and weirdness and action.

More
10 Sep 2020 21:22 #313982 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic DUNE trailer
And I expect a million of those tanto like dagger things to be sold all over the internet for cons everywhere!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds