October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

DUNE trailer

More
15 Sep 2020 18:26 #314111 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic DUNE trailer
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2020 19:47 #314112 by Msample

Shellhead wrote:

jason10mm wrote: If it is true that NOTHING has been done on part 2 (principle photography wise at least) then I wouldn't hold my breath. Getting that cast back together is gonna be ROUGH. How/why this wasn't a Kill Bill or LOTR style (endgame as well?) film 'em both together deal is foolish, especially since filming the actors is probably the cheapest part once you have them together on a set compared to all the CGI done in post.

The original movie treatment of LotR is a great example of what can go wrong when you don't do the whole project with the same team. The first half of the trilogy was Lord of the Rings, a 1978 movie with nice (for the time) animation by Ralph Bakshi. The second half was a 1980 made-for-tv movie by Rankin-Bass called The Return of the King. Rankin-Bass is best known for their Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, while Bakshi is best known for either Fritz the Cat or Wizards.

Bakshi: groovyhistory.com/content/113007/3fb29f3...fdcaee4c369e48ff.jpg

Rankin-Bass: i2.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads...?type=vertical&ssl=1

I am not sure what was more disappointing - the fact that the Bakshi version ended halfway , or that years later Rankin Bass steaming shit pile was the weak attempt to finish it.

This is the opening scene of Bakshi version if you haven't seen it. Looks like can watch most of the movie split into smaller clips. While it has a lot of drawbacks, there are some good elements to it IMO.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
16 Sep 2020 13:22 #314165 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic DUNE trailer
I agree that not filming both halves of the Dune movie at the same time seems like a terrible logistical mistake.

I wonder if it was a deliberate choice to allow Chalomet to age between films? Sorta like Tom Hanks taking a break when filming Castaway in order to lose 50 pounds and grow a beard. It just seems like Villaneuve is a smarter director than that (not to mention the studio not wanting to leave things to chance).

More
22 Jul 2021 10:08 #324827 by southernman
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars, n815e

More
22 Jul 2021 10:42 #324828 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic DUNE trailer
Ornithopters! Sandworms! Floating Harkonnens!

All looks very exciting. Keen to see the finished movie.

More
22 Jul 2021 17:09 #324836 by Msample
Overall the casting is very impressive, but I am still not sold on Chalomet as Paul yet.

More
23 Jul 2021 15:30 #324871 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic DUNE trailer

Msample wrote: Overall the casting is very impressive, but I am still not sold on Chalomet as Paul yet.

He has recently been referred to as Muad’Dweeb B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, RobertB, Msample

More
23 Jul 2021 15:44 - 23 Jul 2021 15:44 #324872 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic DUNE trailer

southernman wrote:

Msample wrote: Overall the casting is very impressive, but I am still not sold on Chalomet as Paul yet.

He has recently been referred to as Muad’Dweeb B)

The AV Club website referred to him as the "twink space prince."

The cast for this movie is utterly stacked ... with Chalomet being the biggest (only?) potential weak spot. Still excited to see it. This one may get me back into the theaters for the first time since the pre-pandemic days.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2021 15:44 by Joebot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample

More
23 Jul 2021 17:16 #324876 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic DUNE trailer

Joebot wrote: The cast for this movie is utterly stacked ... with Chalomet being the biggest (only?) potential weak spot.

That weak spot will rapidly become Jason Momoa if they adapt Dune Messiah and beyond.

More
31 Jul 2021 22:18 #325084 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic DUNE trailer
Even though I don't think a second part will get made I'm going to see this in the theater. Just to show some box office support to epic science fiction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
17 Aug 2021 18:47 #325721 by Msample

More
17 Aug 2021 20:13 #325731 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic DUNE trailer
I saw that, too. Zendaya is great and all, but I feel like it’s going to require a real break from the source material to make that make sense. A lot of other characters (all Atreides allies except Duncan Idaho, all Harkonnens, Stilgar, Dr. Keynes, Paul’s first Fremen wife) have more lines. Maybe extended sequences of her teaching Paul the Fremen way? But that maintains him as the lead.

More
17 Aug 2021 21:08 #325735 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic DUNE trailer
Whooo boy, there goes the internet.

I can't see Chiani in any way, shape, or form "taking over" for Paul. I gotta think that the intent is to give her SOMETHING to do other than cheer for Paul from the sidelines. Unless they bring in stuff from Messiah, which is quite possible.

More
17 Aug 2021 21:09 #325736 by Msample
I get they want to diversify the cast from the source material more ( Keynes is female in the movie ) but this strikes me a bit of bait and switch - stick close to plot for part 1 then make shit up? I really hope Villeneuve has been misquoted/mistranslated here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jason10mm

More
17 Aug 2021 21:15 #325738 by Whoshim
Replied by Whoshim on topic DUNE trailer
Ghostbusters was remade with female leads, Doctor Who had a female lead, the James Bond series will feature a female lead this year, and Masters of the Universe: Revelations focused on Teela. I'm sure there are more examples I could find, but franchises seem to have been moving away from white male leads. It looks like that will be the case with Dune as well. This issue was hashed out concerning board games in this thread ( therewillbe.games/articles-essays/8378-t...f-the-white-boy-club ).

For my personal opinion, I do not mind female leads, but I am annoyed by changes to source materials to the extent that I will not watch the Lord of the Rings movies again, despite how good they are as movies. I also refuse to watch any movies or shows about books that I really like to avoid being annoyed. I enjoyed Dune (the book) enough that I will probably avoid the movie (seeing Paul standing in front of the sandworm in the trailer like he did bothered me). I know there have to be some changes to take a book and make it into a movie. I just happen to be bothered by how it is done much of the time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds