October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2685 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Dungeons & Dragons - Honor Among Thieves trailer

More
23 Jul 2022 11:10 #334425 by ChristopherMD
I don't put much stock in trailers but this does look like it could be fun.

They have an owlbear.

The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2022 11:50 #334426 by hotseatgames
I think it looks fun. I don't care for Chris Pine at all, but I might look past his presence this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
23 Jul 2022 12:39 #334430 by Jexik
I agree that it looks fun, and the tone seems to be right.

More
23 Jul 2022 18:04 #334432 by jason10mm
The INFINITE wisdom of having an owlbear, mimic, and gelatinous cube in Dungeon Mayhem is evident because my kid liked the owlbear, cheered for the mimic, and WENT INSANE when they jumped into the cube. I can only assume that was orchestrated as corporate synergy and can only say...well played, WOTC, well played !

More
25 Jul 2022 08:02 #334467 by Legomancer
It looks like a lot of fun but jesus I am tired of MCU style banter where every single person has the exact same voice and sense of humor. I understand that people don't go to these things for layers of character development, but I watched Star Wars the other night and there are no deep characters in there but everyone has their own voice. Even Han and Leia, who are both sarcastic, aren't sarcastic in the same way. It can be done! But this quippy ass "well, THAT just happened" bullshit is just irritating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, mezike, sornars, the_jake_1973, Gregarius, Nodens, Greg Aleknevicus, n815e, Kmann

More
25 Jul 2022 09:13 #334469 by fightcitymayor
The trailer does make the movie look fun.

Although it says a lot about our current culture when I'm still waiting for the toxic alt-right "based" fandom to show up & launch into an outrage offensive because they saw a black elf or... GASP... a strong female character.

More
25 Jul 2022 10:00 #334472 by jason10mm

fightcitymayor wrote: The trailer does make the movie look fun.

Although it says a lot about our current culture when I'm still waiting for the toxic alt-right "based" fandom to show up & launch into an outrage offensive because they saw a black elf or... GASP... a strong female character.

I feel like all those folks are still yelling at Rings of Power trailers :P

Having this be what appears to be an original story and (?) original characters set in the Forgotten Realms should limit most complaints.

Now if this was an adaptation of Crystal Shard, Moonshae, god forbid Dragonlance, or some other story with existing beloved and visually established characters then oh yeah, the heat would come. As it is, I can't imagine any problems with Michelle Rodriguez, though I'm not actually sure if she is a non-human, same with the other non Chris Pine guy (who, to be honest, didn't overwhelm me in The Gray Man as a bad guy, curious how he does as a hero). If Michelle is like a half-orc or something then I hope it doesn't bring up that whole "orcs are oppressed minorities" tiresome argument. If she is a half-elf (or full elf) then as a barbarian (at least I've heard that is what class she is supposed to be) rules purists will just chide her for failing to min/max properly :P

I'm actually kind surprised so much of the cast seems to be human. I'll have to watch it in a better resolution on a larger screen but I don't recall halflings, gnomes, dwarves, tieflings (is that the druid lady with horns?), dragonkin, or any of that stuff. Might be due to budget, saving surprises from the trailer, or just to dodge too many LOTR comparisons/issues hiring dwarf actors? It's just very vanilla for modern DnD, is all.

More
25 Jul 2022 13:15 #334483 by Disgustipater
Well, people are going “Ackchyually…the game rules would not allow that druid to turn into an owlbear.”

More
25 Jul 2022 13:21 #334484 by the_jake_1973
Those people are the same ones conveniently ignoring that the Director is the DM and can follow the Rule of Cool. Rules lawyering a movie. Stupid, but not unexpected. lol

More
25 Jul 2022 15:09 - 25 Jul 2022 16:27 #334485 by ChristopherMD

Disgustipater wrote: Well, people are going “Ackchyually…the game rules would not allow that druid to turn into an owlbear.”

They can just add new Druid options to a future book. $$$
Last edit: 25 Jul 2022 16:27 by ChristopherMD.

More
25 Jul 2022 16:42 #334490 by boothwah

ChristopherMD wrote:

Disgustipater wrote: Well, people are going “Ackchyually…the game rules would not allow that druid to turn into an owlbear.”

They can just add new Druid options to a future book. $$$

I'm assuming there is already a 50 dollar splat book coming. And a $80 boxed adventure awaits set.

Funny rabbit trail : Our little coastal fishing village's puzzles and sweets shop has turned into a puzzles and Harry Potter Wands and other prestige toys to sell to tourists shop....and the distributor that sells them all their crap ID branded playing cards and 40 different version of FLUXX talked them into retailing some D&D. - Their initial display - 4 or 5 of each of the Starter and Essentials boxes. 1 Dungeon Masters Guide. 2 Players Handbooks. 2 MOnster Manuals. 6 copies of the new Radiant City splat, and a couple copies of Volo's, and Tasha's. 20 COPIES OF THE D & D COOKBOOK. ABOUT 30 OF THE VARIOUS KIDS GUIDE TO CLASSES.

I asked the store owner if they were on good terms with their distributor. She said yes. I told her to check and make sure she hadn't done something to piss her rep off for him to unload a pile of crap like that on her. She got a 5% discount for buying their D & D starter bundle. I think she paid 15-25 more for the 10 books that aren't going to sit for there 5 years to be cleaned out in a liquidation sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
25 Jul 2022 17:12 #334491 by Shellhead
I will probably skip this movie for the same reason that I skipped the original D&D movie: a movie should be about a story, not a game. I might be tempted if it was a D&D movie from a specific D&D setting, but not if it's going to be some generic distillation of various D&D concepts.

More
25 Jul 2022 17:35 #334493 by jason10mm
A Jumanji style litRPG story with a game group that falls into their game and then RUTHLESSLY exploits it would be fun but I don't think the RPG crowd is nearly as large as the video game one to allow the deep cut in-jokes. Or a POV from the NPCs, but that's basically just Free Guy even if there are books about that stuff to draw on.

I am curious why they went with an all new story, though I suspect we'll see a fair number of cameos just to test the waters.

And yeah, a new boxed set with these characters and their adventure in it seems a given.

More
25 Jul 2022 17:46 #334495 by dysjunct
Hmm, I dunno. One thing I like so far about the trailer is that it jettisons a lot of the pedantic wankery of D&D in favor of the feeling of D&D. D&D for me isn't about the minutiae of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms or Eberron, it's about losers rising to the occasion in a mostly-incoherent fantasy world. D&D has always been a grab-bag of tropes -- from the player's POV, it's a desperate struggle not to die screaming underground, but from the DM's POV, it's a series of ridiculous jokes at the players' expense.

I'll see the movie. I like owlbears and shapeshifting. The interchangeable personalities and wisecracks are unfortunate, but still better than the average gaming table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
25 Jul 2022 17:49 #334496 by Sagrilarus

. . . unless he has the magic pellet of wisdom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds