October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Project 250 update: 1992-1996

More
28 Nov 2011 07:53 #108618 by dave
Hmm, this time the "What MUSIC are you listening to?" thread has been unlocked, so now I'm not sure what to do. Ah, the hell with it.

From halfturkey.blogspot.com/2011/08/project-250-reviewing-1992.html , The Jayhawks – Hollywood Town Hall, W.A.S.P. – The Crimson Idol, Red House Painters – Down Colorful Hill, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Henry’s Dream, Pavement – Slanted and Enchanted.

From halfturkey.blogspot.com/2011/09/project-251-reviewing-1993.html , Red House Painters – Red House Painters, Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream, Pearl Jam – Vs., Morbid Angel – Covenant, Melvins – Houdini.

From halfturkey.blogspot.com/2011/10/project-250-reviewing-1994.html , Manic Street Preachers – The Holy Bible, Nas – Illmatic, Pavement – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, Guided By Voices – Bee Thousand, Blur – Parklife.

From halfturkey.blogspot.com/2011/11/project-250-reviewing-1995.html , Down – NOLA, The Flaming Lips – Clouds Taste Metallic, Tindersticks – Tindersticks (II), Emmylou Harris – Wrecking Ball, GZA/Genius – Liquid Swords.

From halfturkey.blogspot.com/2011/11/project-250-reviewing-1996.html , 16 Horsepower – Sackcloth 'n' Ashes, Belle and Sebastian – If You're Feeling Sinister, Weezer – Pinkerton, Katatonia – Brave Murder Day, Swans – Soundtracks for the Blind.

For those who don't want to read the links, Pavement (S&E), Red House Painters (RHP), Guided By Voices, 16 Horsepower, and Weezer got the blue ribbons, with RHP and GBV being perhaps the first two Project 250 albums to be locks for my all-time top 100.

Currently wrapping up and writing up 1997: Radiohead – OK Computer, Built to Spill – Perfect From Now On, Mogwai – Young Team, Electric Wizard – Come My Fanatics…, Yo La Tengo – I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2011 23:22 #108736 by Michael Barnes
Make sure you check out Mark Kozelek's AC/DC covers.

Pavement...I have never been able to get into them, despite them being the "American Fall". Maybe I'll listen to S&E again.

Siamese Dream...that record really disappointed me. I liked Gish...when it came out,it was quite different than anything else. A little shoegazey, a little gothy...Siamese Dream bored me.

The Crimson Idol made the list? Wow! W.A.S.P. was hardly relevant by then!

I _hate_ Morbid Angel. _HATE_ them.

Never could get into that Katatonia record either, despite the praise. Not my thing at all.

OK Computer, most overrated record of all time.

More
28 Nov 2011 23:34 #108741 by dave
> Pavement

Based on my limited exposure to both bands, I think the link between Pavement and Fall is overused (save a handful of tracks on S&E).

I too embraced Gish on its release. The highlights of Siamese Dream totally work for me.

> The Crimson Idol made the list? Wow! W.A.S.P. was hardly relevant by then!

When were they relevant again?

> OK Computer, most overrated record of all time.

Sshhh, you're spoiling my review.

More
28 Nov 2011 23:59 #108746 by Michael Barnes
Oh, there was like a five minute period in 1988 when W.A.S.P. was relevant...mainly because they were at the forefront of that whole PMRC business. Come on, "Fuck like a Beast"? Isn't that an important song of the 1980s?

The 1990s...man, I don't know. So much _bad_ music from that time. And badly _dated_ music from that time.

More
29 Nov 2011 00:18 #108750 by dave
> Come on, "Fuck like a Beast"? Isn't that an important song of the 1980s?

Hey, I bought the single on cassette... so, yeah.

> The 1990s...man, I don't know. So much _bad_ music from that time.
> And badly _dated_ music from that time.

Most of my favorite music is from the 90s, and I've been hitting gold with P250. I just think those statements apply so much more to the 1980s that it seems insane how to say it about the 90s. But then again I have limited exposure to the 00s, so maybe after I get through that I'll be able to appreciate (if not share) that point of view.

More
29 Nov 2011 02:28 #108764 by Schweig!
90s albums I like:

Sugar: Copper Blue & File Under: Easy Listening
Dim Stars (eponymous)
Fugazi: Repeater & In on the Kill Taker & Red Medicine
Weezer: Blue Album
Silkworm: In The West
Static Taxi: Stinson Blvd.
Paul Westerberg: 14 Songs
Man or Astro-man?: Is It ... Man or Astroman?
A Tribe Called Quest: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm & Midnight Marauders
Beastie Boys: Check Your Head & Ill Communication & Hello Nasty
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Sonic Youth: Goo

BritPop
Pulp: Different Class & This Is Hardcore
Oasis: (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
The Verve: Urban Hymns
The Lovelies: The Tuff Of The Tracks
I don't like any of the Blur albums, but really enjoy a handful of their songs.

More
29 Nov 2011 02:52 #108768 by MattFantastic
The high points on Illmatic are transcendent. It Was Written also rules pretty hard. But Juicy is still the best rap jam of all time.

I think it's impossible to not love the two 90s Weezer records, especially if you are of the proper age bracket.

How obscure are you interested in getting? I forget the scope of your project (or generally what you're into or were into) but I'd think you'd be way into some of the great indie/emo/post-whatever records that were dropping seemingly every week in the mid/late 90s. Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die is a fucking masterpiece. Mineral - Power of Failing is classic. How bout The Promise Ring or better yet, Texas is the Reason! Mid 90s hardcore kids playing sad bastard rock is what's up!

Also, Satisfaction is the Death of Desire came out in '97... best angry core record.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!

More
29 Nov 2011 03:36 #108780 by dave
"I forget the scope of your project (or generally what you're into or were into)"

All answered @ halfturkey.blogspot.com/2008/12/project-...ing-50-years-of.html . :)

Tortoise was on my 1996 reserve . The others you mentioned meet the criteria (i.e., RYM top 50 charts) by a wide mile, but I appreciate the recs regardless; I do try to get a fair variety in my selections and don't always go for the "safe" picks.

More
29 Nov 2011 05:51 #108807 by MattFantastic
Ahh, forgot about the need for them to be in that sites top 50. Those charts are a weird mix, I wonder the demographic for who is rating stuff? Frankly I'm shocked that Tortoise record is as high as it is.

Skipping out on Orbital was a good call, but you should have gone with the Aphex Twin record to rep the robot music; it's a pillar of the genre and was a real game changer.

From your comments on selecting Pinkerton it sounds like you never heard Weezer in the 90s? How is life on Mars dude?

More
29 Nov 2011 06:16 #108809 by MattFantastic
Also, lurking your prepping 1998 & 1999 section:

That Botch record is amazing (and I can send you mp3s if you like) but I think Coalese does the same sort of thing a bit better, though their 1999 release is rated lower. Meh. I'm surprised you've not heard of Botch given you seem to dig on metal pretty hard, even knowing who Neurosis is seems like you ought know Botch too!

That Sigur Rós record is cool, but go listen to that Tortoise record first, project or no project haha. I like TNT a lot, but it's no Millions Now Living...

69 Love Songs is an adventure. It has some great moments but it's commitment to being a quirky concept album means it suffers from a lot of lower quality stuff too.

The Shape of Punk to Come is pretty seminal, but fairly overrated. As a dude who was way into that whole scene at the time even then I didn't get the hype machine surrounding it. Great record, but not the monumental instant classic a lot of people seem(ed) to think.

The live Social Distortion record is cool and might be a weirdly interesting pick.

Blind Guardian is pretty hilarious and fun. We used to tour with this band where one of the guitar players LOVED them and also did a lot of overnight driving. It's weird trying to sleep to high fantasy power metal.

Black Star is a shame since the two of them are great individually, but the record with them teaming up isn't nearly as good as it should be.

Elliot Smith was one sad bastard who wrote some good jams, but he got blown way more up as a result of killing himself (or conspiratorially; murdered).

I can see why you are enjoying this project...

More
29 Nov 2011 06:44 #108812 by mikko_r
You're pretty well covered with what's already mentioned, but you all missed Mazzy Star.

More
29 Nov 2011 06:56 #108813 by dave

mikko_r wrote: You're pretty well covered with what's already mentioned, but you all missed Mazzy Star.

Love Dream Pop, and I've always enjoyed "Fade Into You", but it just missed the top 50.

More
29 Nov 2011 07:06 #108814 by dave
> I'm surprised you've not heard of Botch given you seem to dig
> on metal pretty hard, even knowing who Neurosis is seems like
> you ought know Botch too!

Note that my collection was built in the pre-YouTube era. With as many genres as I enjoy and no access to friends or radio stations, I just scoped out on the Internet boards what the very top acts were in each of my favorite genres and then bought stuff blindly.

> you never heard Weezer in the 90s? How is life on Mars dude?

Ha, case in point. Alt/Indie rock was one genre I stayed away from at the time. The 90's were post-college for me; no friends, no MTV, no Rolling Stone, etc. My sources were Usenet (rec.music.industrial/ambient/*metal*) and the local metal radio station. It probably seems strange that with as much music as I've been collecting my whole life across so many genres, that I am experiencing so many acts for the first time.

Anyways, thanks for the 98-99 recs. At a minimum, you've helped to close the curtain for good on 69 Love Songs...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds