October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

bgg rocks: spot the punks in CityFight

More
15 Mar 2012 22:33 #119441 by jur
Credit where credit's due: this guy figured out that all the character names in CityFight (SPI 1979) were taken from contemporary punk bands. An Ameritrash victory through the backdoor.

Check also for a dose of more and less obscure punk bands of the age

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/716888/rock...-coolness-of-city-fi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, 433, OldHippy, aerodynamics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2012 22:41 #119442 by Michael Barnes

More
15 Mar 2012 22:43 #119443 by tscook
Big fan the first time around, thanks for linking it so I could read it again. Still want a copy of this.

More
15 Mar 2012 22:58 #119448 by jur
I also like the story of Donny the Punk. Didn't know that a punk can also be the submissive partner in a prisoner's relationship. He was a punk first and then a punk rocker.

More
16 Mar 2012 02:19 #119468 by Dogmatix

Jur wrote: I also like the story of Donny the Punk. Didn't know that a punk can also be the submissive partner in a prisoner's relationship. He was a punk first and then a punk rocker.

Donny was hardly a willing sub in that prison thing--IIRC it was a gang-rape. The DC cops did very, very bad things and the resultant lawsuit rolled on quite a while with a bunch of serious ugly coming to the fore...

More
16 Mar 2012 04:28 #119478 by mikoyan
This sounds like a game that needs to come back somehow.

More
16 Mar 2012 05:11 #119480 by Dogmatix

mikoyan wrote: This sounds like a game that needs to come back somehow.

It's cool as hell but in order for it to come back in this day and age, I suspect it would be best served in the form of an online game with rules enforcement or as some sort of i-fondleslab app. This and Avalon Hill's Flat Top are the two games I would really love to see ported to some sort of electronic system that could handle the referee aspects so that 2 players could play a proper double-blind game. (Rules enforcement in the case of Flat Top would be nice too. Then again, so would finding pirate treasure buried in my yard here in inland Northern Virginia, and probably more likely than seeing digitized versions of either game...)

More
16 Mar 2012 05:36 #119483 by Shellhead
Interesting. Cityfight was on my want list at BGG for a long time, until I finally realized that none of my regulars would ever go for it. Also, this thread has me wanting to throw together a punk/post-punk mix for my commute tomorrow.

More
16 Mar 2012 06:17 #119486 by jur

Dogmatix wrote:

Jur wrote: I also like the story of Donny the Punk. Didn't know that a punk can also be the submissive partner in a prisoner's relationship. He was a punk first and then a punk rocker.

Donny was hardly a willing sub in that prison thing--IIRC it was a gang-rape. The DC cops did very, very bad things and the resultant lawsuit rolled on quite a while with a bunch of serious ugly coming to the fore...

I didn't mean to imply he chose to be. It is clear he regarded it as rape and that he was traumatised by it. Apparently he contracted aids/hiv in prison. He campaigned against prison rape.

More
16 Mar 2012 10:57 - 16 Mar 2012 11:08 #119488 by Schweig!
I don't know about prison rape, but City-Fight is pretty good.

Edit: Here's my comment on the game from 2008:
fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_kune...&Itemid=100362#10085

I'm currently in the process of learning City-Fight, a self-proclaimed "super detailed tactical simulation game" by SPI from 1979 using a double-blind mechanic simulating contemporary conflicts. The scenarios are of course mainly about potential Soviet-NATO city combat in a German town, but there are a few jewels included about possible revolutionary acts:

Take the money and run

"This scenario depicts an attempt to escape after a bank robbery. The main objective of the robbers is to exit the map. The objective of the police is to prevent this."

The robber player has six men (one armed with a sniper rifle, the rest with handguns) and two cars with which they are trying to escape the bank and then the town.

Baader-Meinhof

"Revolutionary urban guerrilla activity, symbolized by such groups as the Baader-Meinhof organization in Germany, the Brigate Rosse, in Italy, the Irish Republican Army in Ulster, and the Weather Underground in the United States, has become a prominent element of life in the developed Western world. In this scenario, Geralfingen is chosen for a strike by the Baader-Meinhof unit."

Terrorists from the Baader-Meinhof Complex (later to be known as RAF - Red Army Fraction) heavily armed with MGs and explosives take on the same police force from the bank robbery scenario.

And my personal favorite ...

London's Burning

"This scenario is a riot. It all starts of with a big mob at a punk rock concert in the Hammerscythe Palace, fired up by one of the better groups, and sent out into the world with the urge to burn ...

It is the punk's objective to burn, loot, and pillage. It's the police objective to contain the mayhem. It is the players' objective to have fun."

The punks use all NATO fire team counters (118 in all), including twelve snipers. The game takes 90 turns or "when all the kids have been rounded up". Fighting the punks are several police units armed with clubs, fighting the punk's fires is the Fire Department including three firetrucks ("use tank counters" ). The punk player (love that term) receives victory points for each police team "put out of action" and for buildings set on fire. Mind you, the several buildings each score different amounts of points, with the school being the most lucrative target.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2012 11:08 by Schweig!.

More
16 Mar 2012 13:26 #119501 by jur

Schweig! wrote: London's Burning

The punk player (love that term) receives victory points for each police team "put out of action" and for buildings set on fire. Mind you, the several buildings each score different amounts of points, with the school being the most lucrative target.

Hurrah, hurrah, die Schule brennt!

i was surprised you, of all people, hand't spotted the punk character names

More
16 Mar 2012 14:18 #119512 by Mr. White
Just read the Donny the Punk bio on wikipedia. Amazing.

I mean, it looks like he was designing wargames around the same time he was experiencing what I would imagine to be hell on earth.

More
16 Mar 2012 15:51 #119526 by Schweig!

Jur wrote: i was surprised you, of all people, hand't spotted the punk character names

Well, I spotted names like Strummer and thought it was a nice touch.

I didn't know all of the leaders were punk musicians.

More
16 Mar 2012 16:09 #119528 by aerodynamics
What a cool find; if I had any of that geekgold stuff I'd give this guy some. I've had an old copy of CityFight on my shelf for years, but had never looked at it that closely apparently.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds