October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Namedrop some lesser known bands

More
13 Jun 2013 02:17 - 13 Jun 2013 02:18 #154032 by faceknives
Inspired by recentish discussions on here. Is there a band or artist that you're really into that are inexplicably not as well known as they should be? Tell us about 'em.

To stop this degenerating too much into hipster shenanigans and/or gratuitous Fudge Tunnel references a few very basic ground rules.

The point of this exercise is to try and promote a band where you think it's a pity, nay a travesty!, that they aren't more widely listened to. So tell us about the appeal to you and why everyone should join you in your appreciation.

Stick to bands where their recorded output is readily available. While the kids who play grindcore/acid house crossover in your local may be fucking awesome, if they don't even have any YouTube videos up, it's not much use to anybody else.

Apart from that knock yourselves out. Discuss the bands. Insult each other's music taste. Accuse each other of only liking a band because they're popular now. Whatever.

To start, I give you The Indelicates. I genuinely can't believe this band aren't bigger than they are. They're my favourite newish band by a long way. They sound like they've just stumbled out of England in 1992, in a really good way. They're a throwback to pre Britpop days when "indie" actually meant something and had something to say, when it was as much an attitude as a reference to generic guitar based rock. They've always had a cabaret influence to their music, apparently. They've recently released their Diseases of England album. It's very good indeed. Buy it at [url=www,corporaterecords.co.uk]Corporate Records[/url] Some music:

This one's from their concept album about David Koresh. The very fact that they have a concept album about David Koresh makes them more worthwhile then the entire endless parade of bland fucking corporate 'alternative' bands out there.

The anthem, sort of. Bitterness is fun.

The greatest ever song about Skyrim. Small field though that may be.

Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 02:18 by faceknives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2013 04:08 - 13 Jun 2013 04:09 #154039 by tscook
Not gonna listen to some twee indie bullshit, but James Ferraro owns

as does Stellar Om Source

both are moving to more beat oriented almost dance music from noise and experimental backgrounds
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 04:09 by tscook. Reason: fixin vidzzzzz

More
13 Jun 2013 07:13 #154042 by eekamouse
Circulatory System. Only listened to the one album.

Two samples... Beatles-y... If you don't like Noise Rock... well... you've been warned.

More
13 Jun 2013 11:09 #154046 by Black Barney
This is the break these bands have been waiting for!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Million Dollar Mimring, jeb

More
13 Jun 2013 12:04 #154048 by Mr. White
I was a little surprised to see New Model Army mentioned as name-dropping. I thought everyone owned Thunder and Consolation.

Still not enough singing wrestlers around here...

More
13 Jun 2013 13:24 - 13 Jun 2013 13:26 #154052 by SuperflyPete
Mother Love Bone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOw7R96_kM
Green River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js2iVS6dT8Q
MC Napkins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qp_nMntvR8
Susan Tedeschi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l5gbbeNhhw&list=PL44F758B78E8830D8

Aside from Napkins, I've seen these all live and of them all, Susan Tedeschi was the single most amazing act I've ever seen as far as quality of music. Holy God in heaven she can sing.

You may not be aware of this "country hero" from down south..he's a degenerate, racist fuck, but some of his songs are so absolutely off the chain that you have to hear them once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnEmghSrOig
MUST HEAR
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 13:26 by SuperflyPete.

More
13 Jun 2013 14:23 #154059 by the_jake_1973
Murder By Death

The Puppini Sisters

Imelda May
The following user(s) said Thank You: Million Dollar Mimring

More
13 Jun 2013 14:41 #154060 by wice
Team Dresch Best "lesbionic" melodic punk band ever.

Milemarker Best New Wave-influenced post-hardcore band ever.

Toenut Best math-rock band with a female singer ever.

Helium Best whatever-the-fuck-this-is ever.

Cop Shoot Cop Best "industrial"/post-No Wave band ever.

Van Der Graaf Generator Best prog-rock band ever.

Wehrmacht Best hardcore/metal crossover band ever #1.

The Accüsed Best hardcore/metal crossover band ever #2.

Castevet Best post-Black Metal band ever #1.

Cobalt Best post-Black Metal band ever #2.

More
13 Jun 2013 17:24 - 13 Jun 2013 17:30 #154094 by moss_icon
duster ... slowin' it down - 2 lps, some amazing music. i guess they fit in with shoegaze, but not really, they were too stoned. fits with bands like codeine, but i like duster more.

winfred e eye ... sad cowboys. ex 90s emo bands (evergreen / cars gets crushed), just super nice, melancholy country/indie stuff. probably don't care if anyone hears them or not but they are really good. most recent album is their best work.

boomgates ... indie rock . aussies, the male singer was in the inconsistent eddy current suppression ring. boomgates have 1 lp and it's so good, this is the best song off it.

parquet courts ... post punx, this just has a total groove. the album is a real good un, this is the best track. definitely borrowing liberally from the past but can't complain really.

Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 17:30 by moss_icon.

More
13 Jun 2013 17:40 #154095 by jeb
I will drop some e-jazz on your heads. I am sure these groups fall into some really defined buckets of electronica vs. dub vs. whatever, but they all get lumped together in my head and Spotify playlist . It's largely vocal-free, perhaps sample-heavy riffs. Good coding music.

BONOBO -- "Flutter"

BONOBO -- "Silver"

CARIBOU -- "Pelican Narrows

GUITAR -- "Akiko"

More
13 Jun 2013 17:49 #154096 by Schweig!
UNWOUND - my most favouritest band EVAR!

More
13 Jun 2013 17:57 - 13 Jun 2013 17:58 #154098 by Shellhead
The Red Elvises: russian surf rock with an AmeriTrash style

dada: socal alternative rock at its finest

Kruder & Dorfmeister, with an amazing remix of Lamb's Trans Fatty Acid

Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 17:58 by Shellhead.

More
13 Jun 2013 18:30 #154103 by Michael Barnes
Oh man, I could do this all day. The trick is to figure out bands that are actually worth hearing and what are just also-ran acts that have rightfully faded into obscurity.

Here's one though...Portion Control.

Portion Control were an early '80s electronic punk act. Not really industrial, they weren't quite aligned with Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, and those sorts of bands...what they were doing was rougher, more rock oriented, and definitely rougher and rawer than something like Tubeway Army. Snotty and juvenile, lots of shouting, noisy samples, and so forth. Very sci-fi, 2000AD influenced. They did a couple of great records ("Psycho-Bod Saves the World" is the best) and some MASSIVE singles like "Chew You to Bits". There's a couple of compilation appearances out there as well. They sort of vanished into a couple of other bands, most notably Solar Enemy, who were doing kind of a house-y electro thing into the 1990s. I believe the band got back together and did some new records at some point.

I heard about them ages ago, you used to see Skinny Puppy and Frontline Assembly name-checking them as being influential frequently. It took FOREVER to track down the records and the ONE semi-bootleg CD "best of" thing.

None of the old stuff is on Spotify, which is a shame. I want to hear it right now.

How about Brenoritvrezorkre? Any Brenoritvrezorkre fans here? If we go down the Black Metal path, I can make your head spin with all kinds of obscure stuff. Furze, Maniac Butcher, Mortifera, Wold, Blood of the Black Owl, Nuit Noire, etc...

More
13 Jun 2013 19:03 - 13 Jun 2013 19:04 #154107 by metalface13
Caribou and Bonobo! First artists I've heard of on here. I don't listen to much music anymore, this is most of what I've been listening to lately, heh. To be fair, it is pretty banging.

I was into underground hip hop and electronic music (mostly hip hop though). Most of these will be know to you if you have even a passing familiarity with the sub genre.

MF Doom

MF Doom with Madlib as Madvillain

Company Flow

Cannibal Ox

RJD2 - you're probably familiar with him from Mad Men, one of his instrumental tracks is the theme song.

Atmosphere - probably best live show I've been too. Most indie hip hop shows are 95% dudes who will only bob their heads. But Atmosphere's brand of emo hop allowed dudes to bring their girlfriends. The crowd was live.

Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 19:04 by metalface13.

More
13 Jun 2013 19:08 #154108 by metalface13
Oh and this is my best friend from high school's band

Led Er Est

And on his own

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds