October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Best Albums of 2014

More
16 Dec 2014 14:45 - 16 Dec 2014 14:51 #192882 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Best Albums of 2014
Here's a couple of video's of people from my list:

Tanya Tagaq's mind blowing performance from the Polaris Music Prize awards where she beat out Drake and Arcade Fire for best Canadian album (I fucking hope so!). It takes over three minutes to really get going.

Sturgill Simpson

Open Mike Eagle

Jonas Hellborg

Indian

Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 14:51 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, VonTush, Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2014 15:02 - 16 Dec 2014 15:15 #192884 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Best Albums of 2014
Great, Billy Joe Shaver line there, Jacob.

I've also been digging Corb Lund's new album, Counterfeit Blues, but it doesn't really count since it's just recuts of older tracks.

Lucero's Live in Atlanta album is perfect and almost the only album you need. But there again it's all older songs.

I didn't think Old Crow Medicine Show's 2014 album Remedy was as good as 2012's Carry Me Back, but that was going to be a near impossible feat.

Oh, wow...I can't believe I forgot one of my most listened to tracks. The album won't be out til next year, but this has to be the single of 2014.

I think it should be mentioned that Random Access Memories _still_ gets a lot of play. My kids love it. In fact, besides being the album of 2013...it's probably also the album of 2014. Ha!
Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 15:15 by Mr. White.

More
16 Dec 2014 15:43 - 16 Dec 2014 16:01 #192886 by Mr. White
I really should have thought through my initial post.

Tie for runner up would be...

Oysterband - Diamonds on the Water

I was thinking this was a 2013 release. They're an folk/rock act from England that's been around for awhile. A few years back they collaborated with June Tabor again and won a bunch of awards.

While I liked their their two collaborations (favoring 1990's Freedom and Rain over 2011's Ragged Kingdom) I much prefer Diamonds on the Water. It's only got one track that doesn't work for me, but the rest is fantastic.

I've got to say their arrangements really speak to me and soothe my soul. Sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Doesn't look like they'll ever play the US again, but there's a lot of talk of a 2015 tour in Canada. The wife and I have been mulling over the road trip.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 16:01 by Mr. White.

More
16 Dec 2014 15:47 #192887 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Best Albums of 2014

JonJacob wrote: 6/ Sage Francis: Copper Gone ... it's amazing that all these years later Sage Francis still sounds like an angry young man, a hungry artist desperate to prove something. He is practically a legend at this point with a long and colorful career. He's fat and ready to retire right.. well I don't know if it was his break up or what but he sounds every bit as energized as he ever has and this is one of his better collections of songs.

Fun fact: One time I totally cock blocked Sage Francis. I didn't realize he was still making music. But I haven't been paying much attention to the hip hop scene lately.

More
16 Dec 2014 15:53 #192888 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Best Albums of 2014
Some of my favorite albums from 2014:

Flying Lotus: You're Dead!
Run the Jewels (El-P and Killer Mike): Run the Jewels 2
Aphex Twin: Syro
Broken Bells: After the Disco
Chromeo: White Women
Duck Sauce: Quack
Legowelt: Crystal Cult 2080
Jack White: Lazeretto
The Bug: Angels & Devils

More
16 Dec 2014 15:56 - 16 Dec 2014 16:02 #192889 by Matt Thrower
Easy. Two standout candidates.

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

FKA Twigs - LP1

Job done. But then again my taste in music is wholly unrelated to pretty much everyone else on the forum, so make of it what you will.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 16:02 by Matt Thrower.

More
16 Dec 2014 16:21 #192890 by Mr. White
What...Christopher Lee's new Christmas songs aren't moving y'all?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
16 Dec 2014 17:03 - 16 Dec 2014 17:41 #192891 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Best Albums of 2014
Man so much good stuff to check out here. You may have noticed I'm a bit of a slut musically. I'll leach off of everyone (I have very open taste and like most types of music).

Clearly I need to pick up that St. Vincent disc.. it sounds better than the first two (although I still haven't heard a track as awesome as Paris is Burning).

Jeff... you removed that folksy band from your first post.. I liked that stuff man.. also that John Carpenter track was pretty cool too. Chromeo was fun too as was that punk band... Swingin' Utters... I'm not a punk fan but I've been trying to get into it lately. I figure it's just a matter of commitment and I'll come around eventually. I managed to get into black metal after all, why not punk?

Run the Jewels 2 is something I was looking at already so it's cool to see it on here, I'm going to listen that one some more and get a grip on it.

Listend to a bit of the new D'angelo album.. sounds like a good time, I'm going to listen to that some more as well.

Maybe I need to break down and listen to Jack White or a White Strypes album at some point. I like him well enough but the only album of his I own is the Loretta Lyn one that he produced and played on some years ago.. it's great actually and I liked him on the Cold Mountain soundtrack too.

Spoons sounded like a fun pop rock outfit.

and lots more to check out too. Thanks everyone ... keep posting and I'll keep checking it out.

Here's a couple more video's from my list:

Thile and Meyer ... this guys bass playing is unbelievable... but it's more his compositions that really draw me in. Very classical, modern and American all at once. Obviously Thile is a huge influence on me as a mandolin player.

The crayzily prolific Ty Seagull

Billy Joe Shaver

Future Islands - this track is nice because it still has the silly synth pop thing going on that the album has but in the chorus there is a wicked good metal scream for no apparent reason.

Edit-shameless plug- oh... and a sweet little song I wrote for my son and is on our new album Dangerfield

Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 17:41 by OldHippy.

More
16 Dec 2014 23:01 #192903 by Mr. White

JonJacob wrote: Jeff... you removed that folksy band from your first post.. I liked that stuff man..

I removed it because I was being mean and bitter towards a band, and this is supposed to be a joyful thread celebrating the best music of 2014.

The tracks I had posted were 'Union Painter', 'My Son', and 'Six Riders' from the Dirty River Boys.

It's cool that folks post links but thinking how we've talked about connecting with music has a lot to do with discovery and mindset when you are first exposed to it.

I first encountered the Dirty River Boys in an old, wooden dancehall in central Texas, so to me their music puts me in a very specific frame of mind. To someone else, they may be 'ho-hum, it's just some country-folk band'.

Anyway, you're a music slut :) so hopefully it'll be easier for you to enjoy these bands we've posted.

More
19 Dec 2014 14:14 #193057 by san il defanso
One album I forgot about that I really enjoyed was Tune-Yards' Nikki Nack, which I listened to a whole lot then kind of set aside after some other stuff came out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds