October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Iron Maiden - Book of Souls!!

More
14 Sep 2015 10:43 - 14 Sep 2015 10:48 #210620 by Mr. White
I wasn't a big fan of Final Frontier, feeling it was maybe their weakest album overall. I'm glad Bruce was able to kick the throat cancer, but between that, Final Frontier, and the 5 year gap between albums (their longest?) I had low expectations going into Book of Souls...their first 'double album'.

But wow!! This album kicks serious ass! Oddly enough the lead single (Speed of Light) is the weakest track on the album IMO. The rest of these songs are epic and I mean EPIC. Three tracks are over 10 mins and one hits over 18...and so far I like these better than Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, they definitely deliver some of that chugga-chugga we all love as well as some woah-woah choruses. Fantastic stuff and If Eternity Should Fail is such a great opener.

I have no idea how these guys can still pull this off (at what...60?), but they seem to be teflon, immortal.

When they tour next year, they will be the first 'proper' concert my son sees. He'll be nine. No way am I going to allow him to miss these legends before they're gone.

Thinking about it this weekend, there's only 4 metal/hard rock acts that I really get into: Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, The Darkness (If they count), and The Sword. All four are top 10 acts for me though and three have put out killer albums this year. Ha! I'm glad that at 40 years of age I can still experience the BEST. METAL. YEAR. EVER. :)

(I understand the new Motorhead is good too, but for some reason I never got into them. Should I?)
Last edit: 14 Sep 2015 10:48 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Columbob, OldHippy, birdman37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2015 11:02 #210621 by Columbob
As the resident Maiden Fan (I have enough Maiden shirts to wear a different one every day of the month or so), I too have been listening to it since release. I wasn't crazy about Speed of Light either, although it grows on you. But If Eternity Should Fail...damn I was getting tingles down my spine on the very first listen. Bruce (57) still sounds great but Nicko (the eldest at 63) is fantastic and tasteful as always on this album. The album's a big slice to digest however at 93(!) minutes long.

I wasn't necessarily a big fan of their recent propensity for long (some prefer the term epic) songs on every album, too often too repetitive and/or predictable. Empire of the Clouds though is definitely great and so's The Red and the Black.

I just read that Bruce was slowly working on another solo album and that If Eternity Should Fail was lifted from that by Steve. The Man of Sorrows' also the second time they lift a Bruce song title for a Maiden album (Wicker Man being the other one). Blaze also has a song called Speed of Light.

Enough trivia! If things go to plan, they should hit Canada early April-ish, and I'll try to see them at least 2-3 times. My eldest daughter'll be 6, but I don't think she'll want to come. It's still pretty young for a Big Rock Show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
14 Sep 2015 12:41 #210632 by wkover

Mr. White wrote: (I understand the new Motorhead is good too, but for some reason I never got into them. Should I?)

I'm not a fan of most "new" Motorhead, but they do have some classic albums. If you already like Thin Lizzy, then I'd start with Another Perfect Day. Brian Robertson plays gee-tar on that one, you know. Next stop: Ace of Spades!

I need to listen to Book of Souls a few more times to fairly judge it. I've been listening for free on Amazon Prime, which is cool. (The brand new Slayer album is also on Amazon Prime, by the way.)

P.S. My first/last Maiden concert was in 1988, on the 7th Son tour. Great show. I tried to see them one other time a few years later, but the show was cancelled.

More
14 Sep 2015 14:20 #210647 by Columbob
Comparative plans for the crazy new Ed Force One:

More
17 Sep 2015 23:40 #210872 by Malygris
I've heard mixed things about it from my friends. Some have said it's one of their best albums ever, and others aren't impressed at all. I've listened to a couple songs and thought they were pretty good. I'll check out the whole album eventually, but it's not a high priority for me.

More
01 Oct 2015 10:03 #211686 by Columbob
US Tour dates announced today:

Maiden will open The Book Of Souls World Tour in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on 24 February 2016, playing nine shows in total, finishing up at The Forum, LA on April 15th.

The dates are:

FEB 24 - Ft Lauderdale, FLA - BB&T Center
FEB 26 - Tulsa, OK - BOK Center
FEB 28 - Las Vegas, NV - Mandalay Bay Events Center
MAR 30 - New York - Madison Square Garden
APR 05 - Detroit, MI - Palace Of Auburn Hills
APR 06 - Chicago, IL - United Center
APR 11 - Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Dome
APR 13 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
APR 15 - Los Angeles, CA - The Forum

Canadian fans please note that your dates will be announced very soon!]

This means between March 31 and April 4 for dates in my area (Québec City, Montréal, Toronto, most likely Ottawa'll get skipped as it's not festival season), and some more Western dates in Canada between April 7 and 10.

More
01 Oct 2015 10:13 #211689 by Mr. White
Don't like this at all. No sir.

The past decade or so, they've been coming back through Texas. Especially Houston and San Antonio. On their last tour they even game to Austin which was like the first time in several decades. I've probably seen them 3-4 times since about 2005.

I wonder why there's so few dates this time?

More
01 Oct 2015 11:16 #211695 by Columbob
Maybe 'cause it's a plane tour? Or maybe they've calculated that the US fan base prefers the "best of" type tours to the new album tours?

For Final Frontier they didn't really tour Canada/US much. Sure they called the summer '10 tour "Final Frontier", but the only cut from the back-then-yet-to-be-released FF was Eldorado. For the full album tour, they stopped in Florida and that was IT. I wanted to go but my gf vetoed it, our kid was just 1 year old.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds