October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

First Live Concert

More
11 Jan 2016 10:25 - 11 Jan 2016 10:33 #219577 by Mr. White
First Live Concert was created by Mr. White
From the Bowie thread...what was your first live concert? I'm not talking about your uncle's zydeco band, but the first band of note you saw live.

This is sort of random, but my first was Midnight Oil in Germany. I was in...6th maybe 7th grade? This was the age for us when concert shirts were super cool. I remember specifically other kids in my grade getting off base with an older sibling for a Scorpion show. Others caught the Cure. I missed the boat on the second, but a few friends and I were able to convince one of the parents to drop us off at a Midnight Oil concert. I won't say it was the best concert I ever went to or that it left some lasting impression, but it was the first...and I got the shirt...
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 10:33 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:28 #219578 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic First Live Concert
In the 6th grade I saw Ozzy Osbourne. This was the Bark at the Moon tour, and Ratt opened up. I barely saw Ratt since I was too short to see over people. For Ozzy I moved over to a higher vantage point. That was quite an experience! I got a really cool concert jersey that featured a werewolf claw raking across the back of it. Someone stole it out of my gym locker. :/

More
11 Jan 2016 10:33 #219579 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic First Live Concert
When I was a little kid, I saw QUIET RIOT in Winnipeg. It was loud.

The first concert I chose to go to was Aerosmith in Stowe, Vermont. Smelled weed for the first time, drove a bunch of stoned and drunk people home. Took at least an hour to get out of the parking lot.

I don't like concerts.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:40 - 11 Jan 2016 10:55 #219580 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic First Live Concert
My first concert was Aerosmith on their Love in an Elevator tour. Opening act was Skid Row. I think I was about 13 or 14. I went with my friend and his mom, about a 90 minute drive to Saskatoon from Prince Albert (Saskatchewan's "Gateway to the North"). My friend's mom realized she locked her keys in the car right after we parked, so we got to wait backstage for a tow truck to come along and open the doors for us. While backstage, we got autographs from Steven Tyler and Sebastian Bach as they milled around before the show. I'll never forget how embarrassed me and my friend were (those awkward puberty years) when his mom was asking for autographs: "Mr. Steven Tyler, could you please sign an autograph for my little girl, Missy." We thought these rock stars must think she's so lame but, in retrospect, they probably quite enjoyed talking to this good looking woman in her mid to late thirties, a lot more than us gawky, pie-eyed kids.

EDIT: Oh, and I bought this t-shirt and remember thinking I was pretty awesome every time I wore it to school. I don't think you'd get away with wearing boobs like that in schools nowadays.

Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 10:55 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
11 Jan 2016 10:43 #219583 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic First Live Concert
Mine was also Aerosmith in 94 with Collective Soul opening, at the Ottawa SuperEx. Collective Soul had just gotten their first big break and Aerosmith were everywhere with their videos featuring Alicia Silverstone and appearing in Wayne's World 2.

More
11 Jan 2016 10:52 - 11 Jan 2016 11:04 #219585 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic First Live Concert
Where I grew up there was no live music save what I heard at camp fires or in living rooms. There was also no music store, so all the interesting music I found had to come from my Uncle and when I met kids from the city I'd write down everything they said about music so I could figure out what to listen to. The endless forests were great, the exposure to culture was horrible and a concerted effort had to be made to hear anything. Reading through these threads and hearing Americans from major centers talk about live shows and even band exposure makes me kind of jealous of you guys because in our shit hole tiny mining village there was nothing. Live music in our town was what you played yourself at a house party. My taste in music still reflects this somewhat. My favorite songs are the ones that can be played by anyone.

So with that in mind the first concert I saw was with my parents in Ontario Place (a kind of fair/expo in Toronto, Canada) when Doug and the Slugs played there. You may recall them from their two minor 80's hits 'Makin it Work' and 'Day by Day'. It was actually a great show and Doug was quite the entertainer.

Years later, as an odd coincidence, I worked with the guitar player from Doug and the Slugs in a music store where I taught lessons. It was sad in a way, here was this guy who was once on top of the world, now Doug was dead and the Slugs couldn't find any gainful employment. This guy was an incredible player though. It was the first time I realized that I may have underestimated thousands of guitar players who were in popular bands and played what was needed for the music and so never stood out the way they could and never really got a chance to show their skill set.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 11:04 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
11 Jan 2016 11:00 #219587 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic First Live Concert
My first concert was the Beastie Boys on their Hello Nasty tour with A Tribe Called Quest. This was Tribe's last tour after the release of their last album The Love Movement (which is a pretty bad one, actually). Still I was hugely into the BBoys at the time and thrilled to see Tribe perform before they broke up. Q-Tip even came out and they performed "Get It Together" from Ill Communication which is one of my favorite Beastie tracks. Money Mark, the Beastie keyboardist also opened with his solo set which was fun too.

My best friend's dad drove us and my friend's little brother 4 hours to St. Louis to catch the concert. We spent the night and caught a Cardinals game the next day. It was the summer when Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa were battling for the homerun record. My friend hated all sports so we spent the entire game sitting out on the concourse. It was lame, but I felt like I had to support him even though I wasn't that into baseball at the time I enjoy going to baseball games. I feel bad his dad spent the money on our tickets, though.

My first concert would have been Atari Teenage Riot, Rage Against the Machine and Wu-Tang if my parents had given me permission to go. But they didn't. Wu-Tang failed to show up, so it wasn't a huge blow in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evilgit

More
11 Jan 2016 11:34 #219600 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic First Live Concert
Styx, Kilroy Was Here, and I'll fight anyone who has a problem with that.

More
11 Jan 2016 11:39 #219601 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic First Live Concert
Waylon Jennings. No joke.

More
11 Jan 2016 11:51 #219604 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic First Live Concert

Josh Look wrote: Waylon Jennings. No joke.

If there's an album better than Waylon's Honky Tonk Heroes (a collection of Billy Joe Shaver tunes) I haven't heard it. I still listen to it to this day and my son is constantly requesting 'Ain't No God in Mexico' or 'Black Rose'. In fact sometimes when he gets in trouble for something he likes to quote the album when I ask why he doesn't listen... "Daddy, the devil made me do it the first time, the second time I done it on my own."

I've gotta watch that little dude closely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
11 Jan 2016 11:59 #219605 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic First Live Concert
I saw the Scorpions at the now long-gone Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo. Bon Jovi opened for them and was booed off the stage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
11 Jan 2016 12:05 #219606 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic First Live Concert
My first show was Weird Al. My second was Gwar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Space Ghost, metalface13, jpat

More
11 Jan 2016 12:33 #219613 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic First Live Concert
My first was Charlie Daniels. My second was Gwar, also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Malygris

More
11 Jan 2016 12:37 - 11 Jan 2016 18:02 #219614 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic First Live Concert
Dead Kennedys
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 18:02 by scissors.

More
11 Jan 2016 12:37 - 11 Jan 2016 12:42 #219615 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic First Live Concert
Bearing in mind I grew up in small town northwest BC - Platinum Blonde (with Haywire opening)! They actually came to our town when I was a kid (turns out they liked salmon fishing?).
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 12:42 by Almalik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds